Have they ruined the new FR ?? - changes for changes sake!

mikependleton

Whilst waiting to collect my MK2 Leon FR from the Stealers after a sensor problem, i noticed the NEW LEON FR in the showroom. I thought to myself, is this the car i have to look forward to when my leese runs out on my current one? What amazing changes/improvements have they made to make me want one. After closer inspection, i could only find that the only improvement was the USB port for your ipod, everything else just doesnt look right.

1. FR badge on the front bumper - i'd rather people only know what they are up against once they are behind me, i would say eating dust, but my DPF stops that!

2. The nose of the car is different, it now blends into the front bumper.

3. Honeycombe mesh around the badge is horrible

4. Front skirt, you can see through the old honeycombe skirt, not now its solid all along the front.

5. Bigger are creased mirrors, too big for the car, makes them look 2 tone under certain light.

In my eyes, i prefer the old one, not enough plus points to make me desire the new one when i'm ready. I'd be interested in your thoughts, but please see one in the flesh rather than just viewing the gallery on the SEAT website.

mikependleton

I'm sure the one i was looking at, the grill below the number plate where the fog lights are is solid, ie you cant see through it. Maybe i'm wrong, but it still doesnt look as good as the MK2 LEON.

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Banbridge, Northern Ireland
The bit below the number plate is see through, has to be for cooling I'd imagine, however the fog light surrounds are complelty solid, whereas on the pre facelift they were half and half.

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
They haven't ruined it. The changes are fairly minor as if you took the bit of the bumper with the badge on sprayed black you've essentially got the pre-facelift bumper. Not good you have to do this but it improves the look of it massively. Also, the rear boot lid is much better, new MFD is nice with climate display on the nav.

Fergal84

Aug 23, 2007
Had a look this aft when picking up my lcr after its cambelt change. Have to say it looks better in the metal than in pics.....but i think i prefer the pre facelift version, it just fits together better, and deffinately don't like the fr badge on the front :no:

daveclayton

Sep 22, 2008
wakefield
fr badge on the front is a right dog. dont like it at all. the tailgate is the only real think i like about the new one. and those mirrors are disgusting

S.E.C.T.

kiss my face
Jun 14, 2009
The North
Cant say Ive noticed the difference in the mirrors, but the redesigned boot is a vast improvement.

The suspension has been softened significantly and the new common rail engine is very very good. Road noise is significantly reduced.

I would say this though - I bought one!;)

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
I prefer the pre-facelift leon - Not just because of the front bumper badge, but that is one of the things I HATE about it :)

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Cant say Ive noticed the difference in the mirrors, but the redesigned boot is a vast improvement.

The suspension has been softened significantly and the new common rail engine is very very good. Road noise is significantly reduced.

I would say this though - I bought one!;)

whats wrong with the old boot?
there is loads of room , i thought the new boot inside was higher with a wheel shape intruding into the boot? giving less room?

thing is i know there are going to be people who buy the newer version and are going to say "wow its much better than the first mk 2" and tbh if there really is a big improveemnt then fair play but if you are trying to justify your purchase cause you find something which is a different shape or .0001 mm bigger then you are going to piss a lot of people off , therfore comments should be kept to yourselves
not aimed at any one specific and tbh this thread should be moved to the general discussion forum.

Mar 30, 2008
Edinburgh
personall,y i think to old front bumper looks better as the curves compliment the rest of the car better than the facelift version. the new bumper is just trying to bring it in line with the designs of the new ibiza and exeo.

however the only thing i like about the facelift model is the interior. looks like some really nice changes.

would i buy a facelift model? .... no

but this is only because i'm made up my mind about getting an audi A4 quattro or next model bmw 3 series after my leon. i've had mine for just over a year with a few more years of ownership to go and it's a cracking car albeit with some hefty modding. Even if i leave the Seat stable it would be on good terms and i would definitely consider another seat maybe future leons as a second car.

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Banbridge, Northern Ireland
there is loads of room , i thought the new boot inside was higher with a wheel shape intruding into the boot? giving less room?

Only with 18" wheels I think.

Most models have a flat boot floor.

As for the rest of the car, I quite like it. Pre-factlift models are nice too, but I think the interior would sway it for me.

Doesn't matter though as I wouldn't buy a brand new car anyway.

Last edited:

S.E.C.T.

kiss my face
Jun 14, 2009
The North

thing is i know there are going to be people who buy the newer version and are going to say "wow its much better than the first mk 2" and tbh if there really is a big improveemnt then fair play but if you are trying to justify your purchase cause you find something which is a different shape or .0001 mm bigger then you are going to piss a lot of people off , therfore comments should be kept to yourselves
not aimed at any one specific and tbh this thread should be moved to the general discussion forum.

This whole thread is full of individual opinions, as was my reply. You should take it for what it is, an opinion which is not necessarily right or wrong.

As for the boot, it is flat. I have 18" wheels, it may be higher, haven't really noticed. The improvements for me are not are around volume within the boot but the shape of the back of the car and the increased rear window size.

MikeShaw100

Leon FR - White Lightning
Aug 7, 2007
Wakefield
fr badge on the front is a right dog. dont like it at all. the tailgate is the only real think i like about the new one. and those mirrors are disgusting

I agree....:banned:...... The pre facelift front is much better, with that revised central vent now being far tooooooo wide. I wont be replacing mine with the facelifted one, so looks like I shall have to wait another 3 years before I but the next Leon, or will have to look elsewhere in the meantime. Not likely though, as I am still loving the FR every time I travel, despite being nearly 2 years old now.:funk:

I do like the new FR gear knob and may have to have one of those....

Mike
FR170, 18", BT, Cupra Black Grill, Alu Pack, Armrest, Muddies and Mats.

ALSO LOOKING FORWARD TO HAVING THE FRONT BUMPER WRAPPED MATT BLACK ON FRIDAY, TO LOOK LIKE THE CUPRA - WILL POST RESULTS.

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
I'm sure the facelift will grow on people over time.

It is always too easy to say that you prefer the old version when you have one.

You should see some of the TT threads that have been going around recently with the Mk.1 vs Mk.2.

The mid-life facelift always serves well to keep interest in a model and sometimes make some improvements over weaknesses in the original.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.