Lambda fault code / warm up at idle

Ricardo

Leon Cupra R 265 bhp
Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
Lambda sensor Fault codes!

I keep getting Lambda sensor codes even though it has been replaced 3 times now! The last time was by guys I trust at Total Vag (formely Vagtech) for a proper bosch sensor acouple od months ago. It seems to not throw up as much if when I cold start I allow the iddle to drop down before driving. It does over iddle for ages before settling down though. However did that this morning and got 17511 output low. Also comes up 16519.:wtf:

My question is, is there anything else that could cause the lambda sensor to throw up a code that can be checked other than a busted sensor. I have looked at wiring as best as I can and cant see anything strange. The orange light is causing me to loose sleep!

Any suggestions would great, thanks guys....

Ricardo

Leon Cupra R 265 bhp
Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
I have replaced it 3 times now so was trying to find out if there is anything that could effect the function like another sensor breaking thats causing it to fuel wrongly and log a fault like it is broken if that makes sense. Or maybe something to do with the start up system that tells the engine how long to iddle etc. Probably sound a bit thick as I really dont know much about much, stabbing in the dark really. A technique I have found that works is running the engine to temp, turning it off then restarting, I guess that means the sensor is already hot and therefore doesnt log the code and also iddle is straight at normal revs? Thats why Im thinking its something to do with that and all the sensors and bits that regulate the start up stuff (technical genius eh)

Ricardo

Leon Cupra R 265 bhp
Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
I did think about that and mentioned it to the mechanic who said no need, but I recon you right and for the sake of a few quid its worth a shot. Thanks for your help

Ricardo

Leon Cupra R 265 bhp
Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
got for £16 inc vat from euro car parts round corner, want to get it in asap, will just eat bread and chesse for dinner to save the difference

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
also...

as told to me by a fellow VAGer..

check the termination box under the car, and pull out the connectors, then pop out th little rubber bungs sealing the wires into the back of the connector. chances are the connections are corroded from trapped water. worth checking as no matter how many sensor you throw on it, the connector will remains corroded and electrically "challenged"

good luck

Ricardo

Leon Cupra R 265 bhp
Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
Thanks for the response, whats a termination box and where is it? Im still learning as I go, I am mechanically challenged at the moment but aim to improve!

Ricardo

Leon Cupra R 265 bhp
Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
Cleaned throttle body, cleaned sensor bolted in just before it and replaced coolant temp sensor. It hasnt come back for over a week now! The only thing is its hard to drive when you have all your fingers & toes crossed :funk:

wurzel

Jun 2, 2003
East Anglia
Visit site
also...

as told to me by a fellow VAGer..

check the termination box under the car, and pull out the connectors, then pop out th little rubber bungs sealing the wires into the back of the connector. chances are the connections are corroded from trapped water. worth checking as no matter how many sensor you throw on it, the connector will remains corroded and electrically "challenged"

good luck

This affected my Cupra - dealer fitted new sensor, light was back on as I pulled out of the dealership. Eventually after fiddling with the connections they sorted it.

Good luck!

Ricardo

Leon Cupra R 265 bhp
Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
Hi guys still having problems with the LCR, still love her though but would like to pick your brains:

I still every now and then get codes 17511 & 16519 saying problems with pre cat lambda sensor. Its been changed 3 times now and always for bosch correct replacement. I have looked at the wiring as best I can and it seems ok. Anything else that can effect/cause a fault with this that anyone can think of? I have changed coolant temp sensor. I did post before but didnt get any new things for me to check.

Also from cold it takes minimum 5-6 minutes to drop down to the correct iddle speed. I was wondering if it could be related in some way. If I wait till it drops right down it tends to be ok and no fault codes from the above? If I start the car and drive off without waiting the full 5-6 minutes, blink up comes the engine management light! [:@]

Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers Guys

Ricardo

Leon Cupra R 265 bhp
Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
changed lambda sensor pre cat for the fourth time in January with a new thermostat done at same time. Guess what happened today......... Its back. Anyone had wiring problems pre lambda, 4 failed sensors cant be right Im thinking the ecu needs hitting with a hammer or the conection somewhere is ballbagged?

csundika

If in doubt, flat out!
Sep 18, 2013
Banbury
changed lambda sensor pre cat for the fourth time in January with a new thermostat done at same time. Guess what happened today......... Its back. Anyone had wiring problems pre lambda, 4 failed sensors cant be right Im thinking the ecu needs hitting with a hammer or the conection somewhere is ballbagged?

Hi, did you get it sorted in the end? mine has the same problem but with different code coming up, i'm suspecting the wires get too close to the egr pipe which gets very hot, and so that could maybe give a false reading to the ecu? Any help would be much appreciated, had the car over a year and still no luck in trying to find what it might be :(

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members