Standard calipers?

bristolsparks

Jun 24, 2009
Hi everyone,

i have done a quick search but can find no real answer (im new)

i have a LC and want to paint the calipers, expect i want to buy a standard set and paint them as i do not have the time to paint the ones on my car.

Theory behind this is i will have spare hour or 2 in evenings to paint spares to a great standard and then just switch them over onto the car.

Im having trouble finding any cheap places to buy some and having trouble to find the codes of the new calipers, i need both front and rear

Please can someone kindly help

Many thanks

jwfcms

Sep 14, 2008
UK Yorkshire
you dont have the time to take your wheels off and put it on axle stands for a few hours, maybe 2 while it drys tacky and leave it overnight on your drive/garage and paint them with some hammerite smooth red or something alike. but have the time to find new calipers, buy them, fetch them, paint them, remove the ones on your car, fit the pads again, bleed the whole brake system and possibly the abs pump with vag com electronically. i would use a power bleeder aswell after you have removed the calipers. more hassle than its worth!! cant say ive heard of people buying new ones to paint most people paint the ones they have.... im glad im not decorating my house this week id have to buy a new one first and paint it then move in..

i know which option id go for.. to be honest doesnt make alot of difference painting them on or off the car. in a few days time they will be covered in brake dust anyway. mask up what you dont want to paint like the pads and get to it!

bristolsparks

Jun 24, 2009
Ah i see, good answer, i see your point, Ill buy some hammerite smooth red and paint them

How long do you advise to leave them to dry before parking up the car? ill have to paint them round back and drive the car round the fron of house to dry overnight, would this be ok?

jwfcms

Sep 14, 2008
UK Yorkshire
lol...

Get some brake and clutch cleaner and spray it on the calipers to clean them off first maybe a wire brush to help get some of the crap off. put a layer of the paint on first and leave it to tack dry an hour maybe. it wont go on very good straight away it will look faint red and see through until you put a few layers on. some primer might help but ive never tryed it. a good brush and hammerite smooth red will do the job as good as anything if they are cleaned up good to apply the paint if you find when you brush it brake dust will leave a black mark so just make sure they are clean/ish... as long as they arnt dripping which they shouldnt be just keep puttin on thin layers build it up so it doesnt run after an hour you could put the wheel back on but wouldnt be safe to drive untill a good few hours id leave it overnight. could do the fronts first and put the wheels back on then the rears. as long as the paint doesnt drip off your wheels should be fine to put on to move it a few metres or so while its tacky but not wet.

bristolsparks

Jun 24, 2009
thanks mate, thats great advice

Yeah i would have to drive it 100 metres max from the back to front of house, hopefully will be fine
Have a day off this week (luxury) so will get up earlier and paint then move car at end of day

Just have to buy some axle's now, hope there not to much money

da_rude2k2

I'm pretty sure there is no really good hand painted solution for this.
My mate has just had all 4 calipers recon'd. The copmpany that did it strip it right down, shot blast and then enamel coat it and rebuild with new seals etc.
They did an awesome job on his and it cost about 40-60 quid a caliper.
Gonna get mine done when I get round to porsche calipers.

bristolsparks

Jun 24, 2009
yeah sounds good, not worth the money at the mo tho, im going to get upgraded brakes in 3-6 months, poss gonna get brembo's so will gho for that then

Just going to do a temp job i think now, out car on axle stands, whip the wheel off and paint what i can see without taking the caliper off, that should do for now, unless anyone else has any suggestions

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members