Removing Helper springs

Evening All,

Just wondered what peoples opinions are on removing the helper springs on the front coilover unit.

I'm getting a bit of squeaking from the front end, and have narrowed it down to the adjuster ring slightly rubbing on the tyre over bumps.

Now, I've got the ride height spot on, and am not bothered about losing a bit of comfort but wan to raise the adjuster ring up above the tyre I you understand :)

will this have any negative affect on the handling, or cause any problems?

Thanks guys!

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Evening All,

Just wondered what peoples opinions are on removing the helper springs on the front coilover unit.

I'm getting a bit of squeaking from the front end, and have narrowed it down to the adjuster ring slightly rubbing on the tyre over bumps.

Now, I've got the ride height spot on, and am not bothered about losing a bit of comfort but wan to raise the adjuster ring up above the tyre I you understand :)

will this have any negative affect on the handling, or cause any problems?

Thanks guys!
Very strange solution to the problem, why not just fit 3mm spacers?

jwfcms

Sep 14, 2008
UK Yorkshire
i removed the helper springs and do on most coilover sets i fit to any cars, mates or customers to be honest ,the problem that it can cause sometimes not being able to go as low because it can come close to the tyre. sometimes withe tyre movement i have known it to rub on the adjuster and wind it down and it scraping the tyre and the wing on the car after turning and reversing. they are only there to keep the spring seated tightly when its being adjusted so you are putting the pressure on the low compresion helper spring instead of trying to wind against the main spring which is alot stronger. having the helper spring in makes the coil spring sit further down the suspension leg and closer or behind the tyre. i dont like using spacers if can be helped they are a pain to keep puting back on and lining up again unless you have hubcentric ones but wouldnt of thought they are availble in 3mm. wont hurt or do any damage to remove the helper spring. it totally compresses anyway as soon as weight is on it so it doesnt aid in helping to absorb road bumps etc

CupraMVR

Awesome GTi Technician
Oct 19, 2006
Crewe Cheshire
Are you sure its not the bump stops in the shaft not moving enough and making the noise over bumps if your low this can happen.

Seen it happen many times at work mainly with AP coilovers

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.