Hi all New owner DPF question

Timbo1982

I pick up my Mk 2 Leon FR TDI tomorrow (28k - 06 plate) but im confused about the DPF issues on here. I drive a lot of A roads on a 30 mile round trip to work and back and motorway when I go to cornwall every few weeks. Is the DPF problem a common fault on all cars? or something that was sorted out under warranty. Im kinda getting cold feet reading some of the threads on here.

fl1nty360

I have had my car for 2 years and over 40k miles...only had DPF light come on once drove as it said in manual to clear and it did, never had it since and certainly had no other issues related to this...

think you need to take into acount the amount of cars sold compared to ones that have had issues (you only ever seem to hear about the ones with issues).

i would not worry baout it too much and enjoy the car.....

Bora

Jul 26, 2002
Visit site
Done 70k miles in mine and I have had a DPF replaced but this was in the early days of it slife so I think it was just a dodgy one. Have only had to do the regen twice I think and thats it, nothing really to worry about.

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
I wouldn't let it spoil your enjoyment.

Sure a fair few people have had issues, but many are down to faulty sensors. As fl1nty360 said you tend to hear the negatives on forums unfortunately.

The SEAT DPF system on the FR isn't the greatest in the world, just make sure you follow the instructions. From what I've read its not very good at regenerting itself when full and relies on a set temperature being reached by driving the car at a certain speed for a certain length of time. Other systems have a feature to raise the temperature automatically within the DPF.

Your commute should be fine, its short trips that aren't recommended. Is say you just did 5 miles to work being a diesel the engine probably isn't even warmed up let alone the DPF.

Imagine someone who chugs to work and back and just does local runs on a weekend, the DPF will soon slog with no chance of clearing itself.

Timbo1982

Thanks for easing my concerns guys. As you say Phil3012 my commute should be fine. Im currently driving a CTR and have no trouble giving that the beans on a regular basis (legally of course) on the way back and forth to work.

delboyuk2005uk

Jan 25, 2009
St Helens
I not had one ever and my car is 19k miles old. (touchwood) I wont need to know what I have to do. But if the light foes come on how would I need to drive the car?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members