Warranty Help/Advice

hairo786

Hey all,

The topic all forum users dread to ever need to make ...:(

My Leon 2.0 TFSI broke down last week Thursday while on the motorway and had to be taken to my dealer in coventry. At the time i didn't think it was a major problem as the roadside service man had told me it was an air con issue which had then caused the fan belt to rip.

After having the car for 5 days the dealer has got back to me saying they had a chat with seat warranty but haven't got all the parts approved.

I have a Seat approved Guarantee - all component cover. Which currently i do not understand. The dealer has told me seat have agreed to pay to get the air con fixed which will cost around £900.00. But i would have to pay £295.00 to fix all the other parts that were broken, they state the reason for that is that the air con was at fault only and they will only pay for that. All the other parts only became damaged because of the air con unit therefore they were not at fault and therefore i must pay for it.

I haven't contacted seat directly yet because the dealer told me to leave it with him to see what he can do but am abit lost and confused for words.

Any thoughts/ideas/help.

Thanks in advance - Will greatly appreciate it.

Bedlam

Feb 26, 2009
North Yorkshire
So if the steering wheel fails and comes off in your hands and you trash the car ...... you only get a steering wheel?
I don't think so :rolleyes:

Rael

TDi - Smokin'!
Jul 9, 2008
Gatwick
As said, you should not have to pay...

My car's in at the mo, and I'm having to pay to insure the courtesy car I've been given, which I am not happy about. Anyone know if its a standard thing to have to pay for this?

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
As said, you should not have to pay...

My car's in at the mo, and I'm having to pay to insure the courtesy car I've been given, which I am not happy about. Anyone know if its a standard thing to have to pay for this?

Yep its a standard thing, if you your insurance doesn't cover you to drive other cars. Usually a quick call to your insurance company can fix this and all the garage will need proof from your Insurers to say that you are covered.
Alex

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Yep its a standard thing, if you your insurance doesn't cover you to drive other cars. Usually a quick call to your insurance company can fix this and all the garage will need proof from your Insurers to say that you are covered.
Alex

not true , that is the only good thing about my dealer , all courtsey cars are free , except for fuel.
it varies from dealer to dealer on courtsey cars.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Hey all,

My Leon 2.0 TFSI broke down last week Thursday while on the motorway and had to be taken to my dealer in coventry. At the time i didn't think it was a major problem as the roadside service man had told me it was an air con issue which had then caused the fan belt to rip.

After having the car for 5 days the dealer has got back to me saying they had a chat with seat warranty but haven't got all the parts approved.

I have a Seat approved Guarantee - all component cover. Which currently i do not understand. The dealer has told me seat have agreed to pay to get the air con fixed which will cost around £900.00. But i would have to pay £295.00 to fix all the other parts that were broken, they state the reason for that is that the air con was at fault only and they will only pay for that. All the other parts only became damaged because of the air con unit therefore they were not at fault and therefore i must pay for it.

I haven't contacted seat directly yet because the dealer told me to leave it with him to see what he can do but am abit lost and confused for words.

Any thoughts/ideas/help.

as others have said , you should not have to pay a thing the main cause was the air con and any resulting damage from a faulty part covered under the main failure ,
as already said , if your cambelt broke and took your engine with it (as often happens) are they really going to give you a new cambelt but the rest of the engine repirs would be your responsibility?
stick it out , dont budge , dont compromise , and dont accept any excuses , they have already addmitted the air onditioning was at fault.

sorry to hear that your first post was on a negative note.

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
Courtesy cars definitely vary from dealer to dealer. My "regular" one will provide them but you need to insure them yourself (they used to but then stopped). They will however collect your car (within reasonable distance) and deliver it back again free of charge. Then another one I have been to don't collect or deliver but provide the courtesy car free of charge, and you're on their insurance.

That said, the one which won't inure you did do last time for me after a lot of persuasion! They wanted it for two days but I refused to pay to insure it separately and told them that as it was a warranty issue that I'd just go elsewhere with it if they couldn't sort it out! :)

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
Courtsey cars vary a lot and at different times the policy at the same dealer can change.

I wouldn't recommend going off the any driver part of a policy as thats only 3rd party and I think you need to be fully comp.

My SEAT dealer offerred:

Go off your own insurance
Use their's a £1000 excess
Pay £10 for a much lower excess

Other dealers are use your own insurance or pay £10 to £15 a day.

I have known some dealers will give it free if warrenty work is being performed, but charge if it is just a service.

Some insurances companies will charge you to add a courtesey car onto your policy for a day. Often worth checking when you take out a policy.

Rael

TDi - Smokin'!
Jul 9, 2008
Gatwick
Phil3012 - That's what my dealer is doing, around £12 a day I think...

To be honest, I think its stinks to high heaven. I have paid the princely sum of £664 for another year's warranty, why the fudge should I pay to insure another car! I've had the courtesy car for 4 days now!!!

cmc

ohhhhh yes.
Sep 13, 2002
Glasgow
Visit site
Hey all,

Any thoughts/ideas/help.

Unfortunately they're trying use a clause called "consequential loss" by the sounds of it. This basically says that any damaged caused by the consequence of a part failing is not covered i.e. the failing air con causing the fan belt to rip. Check your terms and conditions of the warranty for this clause. If it's their they may be using this. I would still fight tooth and nail though but you may be disappointed by the letter of the terms and conditions.

Good luck and let us know how you get on

cmc

ali831

Apr 19, 2008
hampshire
Our seat dealer supplies a courtesy car free but we have to cover it with our own insurance. I am with churchill insurance who have provided cover on a temporary car for free but i do not know how long for because we have only needed it for 24 hours in the past.

hairo786

Just to give you guys an update.

After a few long telephone converstations Seat have agreed to pay the dealer for the majority of the items that broke due to the aircon leak.

The only thing they wouldn't pay is for the fan belt which will cost me £37.00...

All parts are on back order and will be with the dealer hopefully on Friday so i should get the car back early next week.

Hopefully don't have to go through this hell again.

Thanks for all the help guys/girls

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Just to give you guys an update.

After a few long telephone converstations Seat have agreed to pay the dealer for the majority of the items that broke due to the aircon leak.

The only thing they wouldn't pay is for the fan belt which will cost me £37.00...

All parts are on back order and will be with the dealer hopefully on Friday so i should get the car back early next week.

Hopefully don't have to go through this hell again.

Thanks for all the help guys/girls

well a sort of result ? so they going to fix all the other bits that broke cause the compressor went but wont change the fan belt free of charge?
also i would check if i were you that by paying for the fan belt all the parts that are fitted are covered by the 2 year warranty and not the remainder of your seat extended warranty.