Freetrack to get common rail?/ freetrack ownership

drc1

Hi

Currently thinking about a freetrack, as a nice upgrade from my MK4 Ibiza FR diesel, can anybody confirm if the updated common rail diesel will come to the freetrack, the Seat press release was a bit vague. Also have any freetrack owners got any tails of joy (or despair):D? Cheers in advance.

morepower

Mar 12, 2009
The Freetrack used the same 170BHP engine as the FR. I love mine and it has been great so far. About 3000 miles since we bought it and I love driving it. But the previous car was a Renault Senic RX4 so this is in a different league anyway.

Black Phantom

I'd love to know just how good these new vw common rail diesel engines are.I know the tdi engine is renowned for being noisy but mine has quietened down one hell of alot by using vpower and millers diesel sport 4,the difference is amazing,it's quieter than a petrol once it's cruising.
Been a while since i posted last but sadly it's lookin like i might have to sell her,trying my hardest to hang on,she's paid for but i've had a few nasty surprises courtesy of gordon and the banks this year.Who knows i might keep her yet but i can't for the life of me find a cheaper replacement that is in the same league as the freetrack.Been to look at a focus st170 and change for the bank but there's nothin in it performance wise and the freetrack has miles more torque and is alot more economical,plus it's been driven right.There's always a nasty surprise or two when you get a different vehicle,things you won't notice until you've had it a month
It's always nice to look on here and see you guys rave about them,this makes me want to keep it more:D

cheers

drc1

Thanks for the replys so far. I've just had an official response from Seat to the effect that the common rail won't be coming to the Freetrack any time soon due to "production issues". Having said that, looking on the official Seat worldwide web page there does seem to be the new engine on there, as well as a 2wd version, so i'm still none the wiser unless it's not UK bound.

morepower

Mar 12, 2009
Here is a quote from the Seat site on the 170BHP motor.....
The same motor used in the freetrack..

However, the TDI 170PS CR engine deserves a special mention for another reason -its Common Rail engineering, which makes things quieter, smoother and more efficient. .

It is a common rail engine and at 170BHP the most powerful in the VAG range.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
At the moment the Freetrack uses the old 170ps TDI engine with pd technology. The Common Rail engine is being used in other models in the range already, but not in the Freetrack.

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
Thanks for the replys so far. I've just had an official response from Seat to the effect that the common rail won't be coming to the Freetrack any time soon due to "production issues". Having said that, looking on the official Seat worldwide web page there does seem to be the new engine on there, as well as a 2wd version, so i'm still none the wiser unless it's not UK bound.
thought I'd seen something on this recently either Auto Express or HonestJohn, take a look, they won't let on if they think they can sell something they have in stock, or worse you may go elswhere, (I bought a Skoda Octy instead.) In the trade they say "buyers are liars" well it cuts both ways I had a lecture the other day from a FIAT dealer telling me why they have JUST stopped putting lead in paint:lol::censored:

MrRob

At the moment the Freetrack uses the old 170ps TDI engine with pd technology. The Common Rail engine is being used in other models in the range already, but not in the Freetrack.

I've been into Nidd Vale in Harrogate and they have a Yellow Freetrack in the showroom (which Im test driving tomorrow :drool:) and they have a nice NEW Freetrack advertising stand come poster just recieved from Seat UK, which lists the New Freetrack's spec as "COMMON RAIL - 2.0 TDI CR 170 hp / 125 kw + DPF 4WD " ... as per seat.com

The sales manager thought the CRs are coming in the next couple of months ... probably after they start the factory up after the Spanish summer holls :rolleyes:

Now Im not sure if I should wait for the CR, drive a hard bargain on the the current PD either new, pre reg or year old ex-demo.

... or go for the Petrol ? :)

bungle

Might be worth checking out any PD stock. I've just bagged a brand new (09 pre-registered) Freetrack with SatNav/Bluetooth etc for £14.5K. OK I'd rather have the CR engine but it's not worth 5K to me! In any case the 170PD engine is much quieter and smoother than the 1.9 in our old Altea.

MrRob

170 PD v CR ???

Might be worth checking out any PD stock. I've just bagged a brand new (09 pre-registered) Freetrack with SatNav/Bluetooth etc for £14.5K. OK I'd rather have the CR engine but it's not worth 5K to me! In any case the 170PD engine is much quieter and smoother than the 1.9 in our old Altea.

That is exactly what I am thinking ... currently have the 140 PD in the Alhambra and I rather like the "characteristic" noise the engine makes during enthusiastic driving and its quite enough when you keep the revs down below 2K and when your cursing at less than 90 ... so long as the oil it topped right up in my experience.

thanks for the heads up on what you paid ... I've got the Alhambra to trade so that might fudge the true cost for me but I have a good idea what my max price to change is.

Cheers!

I'll let you know what we think of the Freetrack with the PD 170 later :D

RockyFreetrack

14.5k for a new Freetrack is a great price - which dealer?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members