two questions re: oil

red line fun

May 24, 2004
Scotland
i have a leon mk2 170 tdi on a 58 plate. according to manual for diesel engines with dpf the oil should be vw 507 00 approved. so i've just bought 5 litres of the following from a vw dealer:

quantum longlife III 5w-30 504 00 / 507 00 approved

on the container it states 'for use in vw group petrol and diesel engines on longlife service intervals' i queried this with the guy behind the counter as my car requires servicing every 10-12k or once a year so he phoned SEAT and they stated it HAS to be 507 00 due to my engine.

have i bought the right stuff?

second question, if stored in dry conditions, how long can you keep oil before it's no longer fit for purpose? i bought 5 litres but intend to keep it for top-up purposes, so it might end up being opened then kept for 2 or 3 years until all used up, is this okay?

red line fun

May 24, 2004
Scotland
cheers, having searched on here and other sites i think i've made the right choice re: 507.00, however it's the fact this particular oil is 'longlife' and on container it states it's for vehicles that run to long service intervals, which mine doesn't. i'm reasonably confident that it's okay as it's 507.00 but wanted to check re: the longlife thing before using it.

cheers

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
cheers, having searched on here and other sites i think i've made the right choice re: 507.00, however it's the fact this particular oil is 'longlife' and on container it states it's for vehicles that run to long service intervals, which mine doesn't. i'm reasonably confident that it's okay as it's 507.00 but wanted to check re: the longlife thing before using it.

cheers

I wouldn't worry, after long discussions with both SEAT and the dealer after they put 507.00 in my Cupra at the service it ended up with Quantum 504.00 longlife in it.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members