Run flat

Dec 4, 2006
Manchester
Does anyone use run flat tyres- just been told that it isn't recommended as the Leon does not have tyre pressure monitor system.
ATS were the company that fitted the tyre in isolation- I have duly replaced the tyre![:@]

b1nuzz

Oct 27, 2008
Bristol
You answered your own question really.

You shouldn't use them because the Leon isn't equipped with a pressure monitor, so you will have no idea when it has blown. Then you will run it too fast and it will just explode.

Stick to normal tyres mate, nothing wrong with them. If you have an LCR you will be lucky enough to have a full size spare in the boot anyways! :)

Dec 6, 2008
Shropshire
And also its worth noting that the repair of run flat tyres is not recommended and they are pricier than there non run flat equivalents.

Jonny

slightly insane monkey
Jul 5, 2005
South Wales
In theory it's possible, but not recommended. Run-flat tyres should be mounted on EH2+ rims, which has an extended hump. This extended hump keeps the beads in place, so that they don’t slip into the well of the tyre. By doing this, the run-flat tyre continues to provide adequate steering, braking and traction, ensuring safety right down to 0-pressure.

Dec 6, 2008
Shropshire
One thing that is worth mentioning is that BMW now seem to have started offering the option of speccing your vehicle with standard tyres instead of run flat tyres.

Jonny

slightly insane monkey
Jul 5, 2005
South Wales
One of the guys at work now has standard Michelin tyres on the back of his M3... the only thing that drew his attention to the fact he had a puncture was the smoke coming from the tyre after he parked up in the works car park... the tread had started coming away from the sidewall. Had to get a mobile tyre fitter to come to site to change it, not cheap!

Dec 6, 2008
Shropshire
One of the guys at work now has standard Michelin tyres on the back of his M3... the only thing that drew his attention to the fact he had a puncture was the smoke coming from the tyre after he parked up in the works car park... the tread had started coming away from the sidewall. Had to get a mobile tyre fitter to come to site to change it, not cheap!
is he running run flat on one axle and non runflat on the other? Also m3's don't have runflat from factory so they must have been incorrectly installed at some point.

Jonny

slightly insane monkey
Jul 5, 2005
South Wales
is he running run flat on one axle and non runflat on the other? Also m3's don't have runflat from factory so they must have been incorrectly installed at some point.

Not sure, possibly had the wrong tyres fitted by the previous owner :shrug: I know he had both the back tyres done even though only one was wrecked as he wanted to keep the treads even.

dav3

devilishd4ve xbox tag
Mar 29, 2007
Essex
Your mate with the M3 prob didn't have the pilot sport 2 on it which is why both rears were change. As ps2 have to be fitted as pair on the axle. Also steer well clear or run flats as your suspension, steering etc hasn't been setup/designed for the heavier runflat tyres.

olliep

Wants a mk2 GTI
Oct 3, 2005
Winchester
you can get them for your fitment and if nobody has said, you can also get pressure monitors but at over £100...?

Dec 4, 2006
Manchester
I will pen my complaint to ATS who fitted one run flat to my car a few years ago, without warning me about the need for a pressure monitor!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members