FR or Cupra

ALEX_HAMPTON

I was wondering if anybody could help me. I am not sure whether to buy a cupra or a FR (if i bought the FR i would buy the fastest one). Apart from 0-60 times what are the other differences between the two cars and how big are the differences? What would you guys buy if you had the choice?

Alex

NeilW

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2004
Yorkshire!!!
Would you buy the top of the range, faster version, or the second-fastest version given the choice?

Hmm...... Difficult decision........ :D

Cupra! You know it makes sense!

robjnr

258 spanish donkeys
Oct 24, 2007
Bristol
Bigger turbo in the cupra, stronger engine internals, larger injectors, bigger brakes etc.. so as you can see there is quite alot different,

I had the choice and went for the cupra :D

Rob GTI

Oct 28, 2004
South Wales
I was wondering if anybody could help me. I am not sure whether to buy a cupra or a FR (if i bought the FR i would buy the fastest one). Apart from 0-60 times what are the other differences between the two cars and how big are the differences? What would you guys buy if you had the choice?

Alex

There are several differences as noted above, which are mostly subtle but if insurance, money as no issue then go for the Cupra, you can also tune it more cost effectively so if you intend doing this you can re-coup the money spent extra on insurance and purchase price.

Jonny

slightly insane monkey
Jul 5, 2005
South Wales
Don't make the same mistake as I did with the Mk1... I bought the 20VT FR, but it was the Cupra R that I really wanted... only six months later, I had Cupra R on my driveway :funk: Trouble is, I don't feel I can part with it now... it'll 4 years old this year, never kept a car this long! lol

DandB

My other car
Jul 20, 2007
London
I drove the Fr and Cupra back to back when deciding and apart from the extra power, tunability etc I found the Fr a lot stiffer/bumpier and more uncomfortable, hence my choice!

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Depends which year model you are buying.

2008 onward Cupras have over the FR black grille, nicer wheels, bigger/better brakes, uprated suspension, black interior, Cupra badging, better seats (although FR seats are similar in newest cars), gloss black pillars on side, front bumper with black trim at bottom, oval exhaust, 40bhp more power with little difference in C02 or economy, ability to map up 60bhp to 300bhp where FR will only map to what the Cupra starts at.

Early cupras (2007 models) had Xenons as standard and silver grille.

The only thing the FR offers over the Cupra is DSG option on petrol models, and the diesel engine option.

Scotsguard

I went for a petrol FR with DSG. The main reasons were the insurance being half the price and the 'box.

A cupra with DSG would be nice if it was available though

JMP

May 27, 2004
I've read about the cupra having more front end grip? Anyone know how this is achieved?

Mk2 TT and 8P S3 have used some aluminium parts in some suspension components for less unsprung weight. According to a few car reviews Cupra also shares these parts, this may translate to a bit better traction also up front.

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
The extra grip of the Cupra is partly due to having a slightly softer set up from the FR that helps increase front end grip as well as lighter suspension parts to reduce the unsprung mass.

Although the FL FR and Cupra now have a similar setup I was told to increase grip in the FR as well as improve the ride.

If we were going the petrol route I would have taken the Cupra although the FR TSi does have the newer and more effcient engine for only 17Bhp less. But the extra looks and the fact it is a Cupra does it for me. But FR TDi seemed to make the most sense for us in terms of economics and rising fuel prices.

Head FR TDi, Heart Cupra :clap:

fellowsuk

Apr 2, 2008
Sunny Wolverhampton!
lol,well hopefully we should be getting a white K1 soon!!! cant wait just reading up on them all before we get it. i know the brakes are alot bigger, just wondered how this extra traction was achieved , but that seems to make sense, tell u whats daft but i like on the cupra is the metal pedals! its the little things! :)

SimonM

As everybody has said, if money is not an option then Cupra, but if you want better fuel economy and cheaper insurance/road tax then go for the FR TDI. I would get a quote from your insurance company for both, if your quite young then you may not even be able to get insurance for the Cupra.

stephenSF

Jun 2, 2009
I have read in two places that the handling is better on the FR due to the ESP being less intrusive. Don't know if this is something that you would only notice on the track though.

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
I have read in two places that the handling is better on the FR due to the ESP being less intrusive. Don't know if this is something that you would only notice on the track though.

If it is a FL FR against a pre FL Cupra then yes as the XDS systems has improved traction. But the FL Cupra has the same XDS/ESP as the FR so traction should be the same.

The pre FL Cupra had slightly softer front suspension to increase traction and better quality dampers as well as a bespoke setup. FL FR has a softer setup as well as the XDS now same as the FL Cupra so traction on both is improved and pretty much the same. Cupra still has the handling edge on the limits but in day to day driving you would not really notice it.

predo

Dec 26, 2005
Edinburgh
pre facelift FR is god damn stiff! Seriously by far the hardest suspension of any cars I've ever driven. I find it a bit uncomfortable but bearable as in the end of the day its a sports car.

stephenSF

Jun 2, 2009
pre facelift FR is god damn stiff! Seriously by far the hardest suspension of any cars I've ever driven. I find it a bit uncomfortable but bearable as in the end of the day its a sports car.

Yes, it's been well documented. I am taking steps to alleviate the hard ride in the new year.
I have to say I would have bought a Cupra but they seemed so much more expensive at the time. Plus I found a great deal on an immaculate FR. I may bluefin it in time but I want to get used to the speed first. I may end up with something resembling a cupra at some point with all the mods. I really do love my FR and don't mind all the modding over time as I know I'm keeping it. Big up the FR.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.