1.4 8V - Not Running Correctly - Help please...

forestfighter

Jul 11, 2009
Firstly hello - new to the forum and need help. :)

The car is a 1400 8v 2000 sport model on an V reg.

The car is running but when started sounds incredibly diesel like, very noisy from the exhaust (everything is fine with exhaust) and it sounds strangled. Misfires when revs are increased... EML is on permanently. Whilst driven the performance is under powered, oil warning light is luminating occasionally (could be a seperate probelm) and sounds very tappety...

The previous owner encountered problems and changed the plug leads (genuine bosch). The car has since passed it's MOT and the garage suggested a new Coil Pack - Common problem on this engine??

The coilpack numbers are 032 905 106B - Black box stlye not plug lead type.

We are currently looking for a replacement, but don't want to buy new just yet as we are not 100% certain that this is the problem.

Could the problem be EGR valve related? If they even have them on petrols or are they diesel only?

Can anyone shed any light on these symptoms? Common or a freek?

Any help is much appreciated! :)

John

lemonslap

In The Know
Mar 14, 2009
Kent
welcome! can you give more info please service history? Probably the coil pack needs replacing (use oem only) and the throttle body needs cleaning/replacing both these can cause running problems

forestfighter

Jul 11, 2009
Thanks for the reply mate. The car was bought as a fix up project, so was cheap. No service history with the car, but judging by the rest of the cars condition - i doubt it will have been maintained all that brilliantly.

The guy we bought it off changed leads and gave it a general service to get it through MOT... Everything else is unknown!

I think i'll try and find a 2nd hand coilpack to try and see if that solves it... :)

lemonslap

In The Know
Mar 14, 2009
Kent
Thanks for the reply mate. The car was bought as a fix up project, so was cheap. No service history with the car, but judging by the rest of the cars condition - i doubt it will have been maintained all that brilliantly.

The guy we bought it off changed leads and gave it a general service to get it through MOT... Everything else is unknown!

I think i'll try and find a 2nd hand coilpack to try and see if that solves it... :)

Give it a full service (oil, filters and spark plug change) to start with, my guess is the spark plugs have worn increasing the electrode gap thus putting strain on the coilpack.

forestfighter

Jul 11, 2009
Right! Replaced the coil pack and cleaned the throttle body etc... A little better but still like a bag of nails! The actual engine is running ok and there is no knocking etc - it's just the tapping. Could it be tappets? Oil light is still on..??

Help! :cry:

forestfighter

Jul 11, 2009
The tappets are loud as they are hydraulic so that may just be the normal sound you are hearing.

As to the oil light, have you checked the oil level?

The sound is not a normal sound... Are they known for clogging up? Needs a good engine flush?

The oil level is fine, but i don't think it's reaching the top of the engine. I think head off is the next step... :(

when my 1.4 (same year and model) went bang we took the old engine out only to find that it was completly clogged with thick black sludge, wich meant that there was no way anything could circulate anywere round the engine, we dropped a new low mileage engine into it along with a couple of engine flushes and some high quality oil, changed all filters, spark plugs, clutch,and loads of other stuff and now it runs like a dream, and it has unleashed some of that 1.4 power that it never had before,

so basically if ur engine is fooked i would just hunt for a new low mileage one from a breakers and put that in it,

lemonslap

In The Know
Mar 14, 2009
Kent
The sound is not a normal sound... Are they known for clogging up? Needs a good engine flush?

The oil level is fine, but i don't think it's reaching the top of the engine. I think head off is the next step... :(

The crankcase breather can block but thats about it, however if it hasn't been looked after then any engine will sludge up. I suggest you remove the cam cover and see what is lurking beneath any black deposits you have a problem! As with engine flush's the problem is with a worn engine it can clean out the engine to much causing high oil consumption.

forestfighter

Jul 11, 2009
Help is appreciated guys... When you lok inside the oil filler it looks quite "sludgy". I will do a bit of work on it tomorrow and report back.

Thanks

aj51 log

I had the same problems with mine mid April, I have the 1.4 8v Chill. Big end shells went but I didn't give it chance to blow. I have put a new engine in but it wouldn't start due to the fuel pump. It's now in the garage and is about ready. I still have everything, the block, manifolds, ancillaries, coilpack and whatever else there may be. All parts are on ebay, User aj_log. If you need anything just let know my email is [email protected] and my number is 07544391655.

forestfighter

Jul 11, 2009
I had the same problems with mine mid April, I have the 1.4 8v Chill. Big end shells went but I didn't give it chance to blow. I have put a new engine in but it wouldn't start due to the fuel pump. It's now in the garage and is about ready. I still have everything, the block, manifolds, ancillaries, coilpack and whatever else there may be. All parts are on ebay, User aj_log. If you need anything just let know my email is [email protected] and my number is 07544391655.

Thanks for that matey, i may need some bits from you, if so i'll let you know. :)

so cheap to throw a new engine in id do it for the fact of it will run like a new car:)

Well after taking the head off, it's a new engine we need.

On the look out for a 1.4 8v now if anyone knows of one??

Thanks

aj51 log

As I said, I've got the block. It needs the big end shells replacing, this cost's about £150. When I was looking for another engine I couldn't find one for less than £300. I'll sell the block for £100.