Mk4 Suspension

FoZz

Sep 23, 2008
Had a look through this thread and i'm confused! Can some one please list all the bushes I need to order? My car knocks like buggery and is p?ssing me off.

Cheers
Neil

Neil82, i am in the same position here. Nobody has posted with a complete conclusion to the bushing aspect of things. I am about to order all the parts i require as well as a suspension kit, so would be greatful if someone could conclude on the following:

As far as I can make out, (any 6L / MK4 model apart from the Cupra) will require the following to replace all bushings etc:
- New top mounts (get from main dealer, named "bearing surface")... apparently the originals will be knackered?
- Front susp arm / Rear bush off the TDI Cupra 160 x2 (~£7) - part # 6LL 407 183
- PowerFlex Front susp arm / Front bush?
- PowerFlex Anti Roll Bar bushings (front and back?)

If someone could tidy that up correctly...?

These are the options available from PowerFlex:

PowerFlex1.jpg

Can anyone tell us what diameter ARB Bushings are for what car? I am assuming the 19mm bush is for the cupra / cupra TDI? I have a 130 PD Sport, would I require the 18mm?

Last edited:

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
Neil82, i am in the same position here. Nobody has posted with a complete conclusion to the bushing aspect of things. I am about to order all the parts i require as well as a suspension kit, so would be greatful if someone could conclude on the following:

As far as I can make out, (any 6L / MK4 model apart from the Cupra) will require the following to replace all bushings etc:
- New top mounts (get from main dealer, named "bearing surface")... apparently the originals will be knackered?
- Front susp arm / Rear bush off the TDI Cupra 160 x2 (~£7) - part # 6LL 407 183
- PowerFlex Front susp arm / Front bush?
- PowerFlex Anti Roll Bar bushings (front and back?)

If someone could tidy that up correctly...?

These are the options available from PowerFlex:

PowerFlex1.jpg

Can anyone tell us what diameter ARB Bushings are for what car? I am assuming the 19mm bush is for the cupra / cupra TDI? I have a 130 PD Sport, would I require the 18mm?

It is advised to replace your top mounts and bearings when fitting a new suspension kit if your car is fairly old or has covered a lot of miles. When I fitted a set of coilovers to my car (52plate 130 Sport 50k) I replaced the top mounts and bearings, although the old ones were ok.

The bush to replace your front TCA rear bush is the Cupra one 6LL 407 183. I didn't replace my front TCA front bush as mine were in good condition.

You need to make sure that your ARB is in good condition and the bush end stops are the metal type and not the weak plastic ones that corrode and fall off. The ARB only has 2 bushes holding it...1 each side. I replaced my ARB with a 21mm thick Fabia vRS one with metal bush end stops. I used original ARB bushes.

FoZz

Sep 23, 2008
Thanks for the further insight Altech. By top mounts and "bearings" i am asuming you are referring to whats called surface bearings or something? I think i remember someone talking about the before.

Are the bush end stops on the ARB the ones that are on the connection between the ARB and drop links? If i have plastic ones on mine should i replace with powerflex ones or just get metal ones from the dealers? are the metal ones definately fitted to the Cupra 160? Or do some other models have them too, i.e. FR and sport?

I was thinking of just ordering powerflex all round just to get it over and done with. Or is the Cupra front TCA rear bush recommended over the powerflex insert?

Last edited:

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
Thanks for the further insight Altech. By top mounts and "bearings" i am asuming you are referring to whats called surface bearings or something? I think i remember someone talking about the before.

Are the bush end stops on the ARB the ones that are on the connection between the ARB and drop links? If i have plastic ones on mine should i replace with powerflex ones or just get metal ones from the dealers? are the metal ones definately fitted to the Cupra 160? Or do some other models have them too, i.e. FR and sport?

I was thinking of just ordering powerflex all round just to get it over and done with. Or is the Cupra front TCA rear bush recommended over the powerflex insert?

Yes the bearings can be called surface bearings.

What age and model is your car? Are you getting any knocking noises?

The bush end stops are attached to the ARB where the ARB bushes sit. They basically stop the ARB from moving side to side too much. You can see them if you look through your wheel. Older models have plastic end stops and newer models have metal end stops which are welded to the bar. If your car is fitted with the older style ARB it would be best to replace it.

Yes the Cupra front TCA rear bush is recommended over the powerflex insert....I've heard that the powerflex insert can fall out!

FoZz

Sep 23, 2008
Its a 2004 130pd sport maate. no, no knocking noises really, just a very crashy ride on the standard suspension.

Do you have any pics pointing out the ARB bush end stops? I will have a check for this asap...

Is the cupra front TCA rear bush the same in both petrol and diesel models?

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
Its a 2004 130pd sport maate. no, no knocking noises really, just a very crashy ride on the standard suspension.

Do you have any pics pointing out the ARB bush end stops? I will have a check for this asap...

Is the cupra front TCA rear bush the same in both petrol and diesel models?

I've been trying to find a pic of the end stops but can't find one anywhere! If you follow the ARB along and look at where it is attached to the subframe via the clamp and bush, you should be able to tell if the end stop is metal or plastic....or if it is even there at all!

I believe that both petrol and diesel Cupras use the same bush. The part number above will get you the right ones anyway.

Gorynych

You are lucky, :clap: u can use sport suspension kits and 40-th profile. In Ukraine, where I live, roads are low quality and majority of ibiza sport owners, if they dont live in the capital of the country, change stock wheels 16 inch, and 205/45/R16 on 15 inch 195/55/R15. Because if you have sport suspension, after 15 thousand miles or earlier, you will have no suspension at all.:censored:

FoZz

Sep 23, 2008
sh!t one mate! lol!

Altech, are the end stops on the ARB where the arb connects to the drop links? Assuming your answer is yes, does the ARB bush fit between this end stop and the drop links?

Is there an ARB on the rear of the car? Or just the front? All i can see is a rear beam...

Also, are the top mounts and bearings two seperate parts that need to be ordered? If so, i will need 4 wont i?

Sorry for the specific stupid questions, but i am a bit of a newbie at this and want to get it done right first time. Hope it helps clear any issues up other people may have reading this thread.

Suspension kit arrived today, so im gonna get up to the old stealers and order the other things i might need asap...

Cheers!

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
I've taken a couple of pics to help you, and anyone else that is unsure of where the end stops are.

This one shows the end stop and bush (circled)

P1030203.jpg

And this is a close up

JOOOO.jpg

Top mounts and bearings are seperate parts so you need 4 parts all together

Hope that makes things clearer

FoZz

Sep 23, 2008
Altech you are a legend. On behalf of anyone else on the forum that required the same detail, thank you so much!

So, talking about rear ARB's. Can these be fitted to the MK4 ibiza? And would it give any noticeable handling benefits? Also, what else would be required to fit this to the rear struts?

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
That's ok mate. Get a lot of people asking about the ARB so hopefully those pics will help them too.

A few members have commented that a rear ARBs greatly improves the handling. Whiteline make an adjustable one which is quite popular. Some members have posted up pics in their readers ride threads of how it attaches to the rear beam.

Darzy18

been looking around for kw variant 1 coilovers for 6l ibiza and found the cheapest website venom motorsport at 700 pound does anybody know any other cheaper sites cheers

FoZz

Sep 23, 2008
Try Damian @ DPM on here mate. He is a representative of DPMperformance.com who are based in Newcastle. He might be able to cut you a deal on them.

The-Les

Does anyone know the spring rates of some lowered springs I'm going to be selling the Ebachs and I'm looking at koni, kw, spax or apex. I know the standard weights of the TDI sport are between 711 and 740kg per side, I want to try and replace the springs with something simalar or higher.

FoZz

Sep 23, 2008
If i were you i would go for an adjustable set mate, then you can get the perfect ride height that your after.

FoZz

Sep 23, 2008
anyone else had a problem with the bolts coming loose at the top of their suspension struts on the bulk head or anything? mine keep on coming loose. would a strut brace help this and relieve some of the pressure?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.