Gearbox Dying! - Fitting questions

Jun 26, 2008
Sunderland
Im in need of some help, my 1.4 has developed a type of whine mainly in 3rd and 4th but also in 5th. when its sitting in neutral and is revved there is no noise, but im not sure if this is due to the engine not being under load or because the gearbox is in neutral.

Its mainly at mid revs on medium throttle openings....

Please help someone, otherwise ive got nothing to go on!

Cheers :)

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Mine sounds just like yours. So checked the oils put some Slick50 in with it, might help. Just got it back from the garage and they reckon its the bearings, so might die soon :(

Jun 26, 2008
Sunderland
Nah havent checked the oil yet, it will be job numbe one tomorrow, its just getting stedily worse, and is stragnge that its worse in certain gears.

Jun 26, 2008
Sunderland
Ive descovered that its probably the bearings that have gone in the gearbox, is it going to be cheaper buying a 2nd hand gearbox than reconditioning mine?

Anyone got any ideas where to get a cheap box from??

Apr 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Ive descovered that its probably the bearings that have gone in the gearbox, is it going to be cheaper buying a 2nd hand gearbox than reconditioning mine?

Anyone got any ideas where to get a cheap box from??

Probably be better getting yourself a second hand one. Try all your local scrappies first mate

Apr 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Right, i am now in a worse position than i was when i last posted [:@].
Driving home today, gearbox got significantly louder, horrible grinding noise. So pulled over, had a wee look, think its clearly the gearbox making all the noise. Also as it was considerably harder to get into certain gears, mainly 5th/4th, and occasionally wouldnt engage 5th at all.

While my foots on the accelerator (even just a touch) , its fine, no noise or anything, but as soon as i lift off, it starts a whining/grinding, and generally a horrible noise Also noticed when turning right, a clunk/metal on metal noise occured. Not all the time when turning, just the once.

So, im pretty sure the gearbox is needing replaced as i cant drive it for long like that.

Has anyone had this issue before, and got a second hand box to put in? Also does anyone know the part number for the 1.4 mk3 (W reg) ibiza gearbox?
:(
Cheers guys

Last edited:

Mat

they are!

I killed 2 in my 1.4! the last being due to hitting a big pot hole at 60..... made me buy a cupra to replace the 1,4 :D

Apr 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Anyone got a gearbox then before I get one from a scrappy?

Sorry mate cant help you with the gearbox search. Mines going into the garage tomorrow as the guy has a mate who will recondition it for me, even though i thought a 2nd hand one would be best turns it out i cant find a reasonable one up here.
Terrible how both our beeza's have the same problem within days of each other :cry::([:@]

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
That's a bit crap as I had the gearbox replaced on it too... Been on for 2 years now it must be. I got a 2nd hand box into it. But I would say reconditioning would be better as it will last longer ;)

Yeh, i remember you saying. Seems the 1.4 just destroy gearbox's though :(
It was eventful getting it home anyway especially when it decided it wasnt going to let me change out of 3rd lol. Owel, something else to spend my wages on now:doh:

Jun 26, 2008
Sunderland
Yeh, i remember you saying. Seems the 1.4 just destroy gearbox's though :(
It was eventful getting it home anyway especially when it decided it wasnt going to let me change out of 3rd lol. Owel, something else to spend my wages on now:doh:

Anyone know if a 1.4 MK3 golf box will fit?

Adam R

Diesel ISN'T a Dirty word
Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
when i had my 1.4 it started to whine when i was on a trip to some relatives up north (360 miles there).

oddly enough the whine only started happening in 5th and worked its way to 4th too..... puzzled and slightly worried, i jacked up the car and removed the gear box oil.
i then replaced the oil with some high quality stuff and took the car for a drive... no more whirry noises :D

i recon its just because your gearbox oil is low :D
if it was bearings it would be happening in all gears

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members