Is there any way of overwriting the bonnet catch?

xxNickyxx

Mar 22, 2008
Nairn, near Inverness
I've done a search on here, but not finding what I'm looking for.

Basically, I have gone to check the oil etc this morning but can't get the bonnet open - the lever has opened it about an inch, but the pull release thingy (dont know what its called!!) isn't doing anything.

I can see the mechanism moving when I pull the lever but it is not releasing the bonnet catch. I've sprayed WD40 onto the bits, but it doesnt seem to be doing anything.

The bonnet is now stuck and won't open or shut [:@]

Any way round this?

Mar 3, 2009
Hinckley
keep spraying wd40 at it a few times leaving it 15mins either time,if you can squeeze one in use a flat head screwdriver to manouevre the locking mechanism to release the bonnet

drue1

May 27, 2009
kent
When you try it again Get someone to push down on the bonnet while you pull the leaver.That should sort it

xxNickyxx

Mar 22, 2008
Nairn, near Inverness
Thanks guys. I ended up getting the AA out to sort it - I was starting to get far too grumpy with it!

We eventually got it opened after about 20 mins - the catch was completely siezed up, so i've emptied a can of WD40 onto it, so it seems to be ok now.

Gaz-04

May 29, 2004
East Midlands
you now want to put some lubrication on the catch that is a little more permanent than WD40. In a bind i used some wet MTB chain lube but something like a white silicone grease would work as well

Teasy

Sep 1, 2007
Middlesbrough
I seen this being done on The Garage (Jock from Spain) and if I recall rightly, he had to take off the bumper & internal wheel arch to reach the catch

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members