induction kit fitting...

Tom--

Looks like i'll be putting an induction kit on my 1.6 sport. read the induction kit fitting guide which was v.helpful but thinking i may do it slightly differently.

firstly how good are the filters? seems pointless putting a cheap one on if it's going to be awful at filtering the air.

once I've got the cone filter I was going to make an alluminium bracket as per guide but maybe extend the filter away from the engine a bit with a universal extension pipe

now heres where it gets a little different. because I don't want it sucking in all the warm air from around the engine I'm thinking would it be possible to get a sheet of alluminium, cut an appropriate size hole in it for the extension pipe to go through, curve it round from roughly the suspension tower to somwhere close to the battery, drill a few holes and bolt it on so it's secure and voila! protected from engine heat.

but would alluminum reflect the heat well enough? would it be worth making the heat shield by buying a large exhaust heat shield then making it out of that (easier to shape as well)

also i was thinking of cutting another hole in the heat shield and running a pipe from the existing air intake through the heat shield to the filter section to act as a sort of cold air feed. good idea?!

cheers!

01samuelr

pete the pirate
Jul 22, 2007
North Wales.
imo i wouldnt bother with all the custom work. at the end of the day its still only a 1.6 the amount of heatsoak you are going to get will make a minimal amount of difference to the power of the car in a positive and negative effect. heat soak is only realy a problem if you are runing a big power nasp car ie 200bhp+. the air ffilter will have no effect on performance it will just increase the noise.

but if you still want to go ahead then fair enugh

antnee

Im glad the guide was useful :)

My views on it though, I had a filter from eBay which was one that had a smaller filter in the centre. I don't believe it is/was any more restrictive/free flowing than any other cone available. Mine is now off and for sale as I have gone for a de-restricted airbox with a K&N panel filter, with the standard air intake pipe pulled out (the feed into the box), a CAI isn't really necessary as the inlet to the box is into the wing anyway so can suck cold air up without the worry of getting any water (tried and tested the other day too! :D )

When I put the smoothed box back on after the cone had been on I didn't notice any difference, when I finally got the uprated panel to go in the other day, it seems to rev a bit easier and pull a tad harder. I will be able to tell you if its any quicker in 2 weeks when I run at santa pod again.