Window Wipers....WTF!!!!

Mr Cellotape

AKA Mr Ribbed
May 9, 2006
Warwickshire once.
Dont know if anyone else has had this one happen.....

My drivers side window wiper has a mind of its own..... sometimes it wipes and moves normally and other times it doesn't wipe as far as it should and then doesn't go back to the home position..... [:@]

The cars got to go back into the garage for the 20K service so I will get them to fix it then, just wondered if anyone else has seen this before?

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
The wipers do not go fully back home whilst on intermittent or auto if you have the auto function that is.

What do you mean by "doesn't wipe as far as it should?

Does it stop in the middle of the screen or what? if that happens the 2 wipers normally hit each other and clonk/bang each other.

Mr Cellotape

AKA Mr Ribbed
May 9, 2006
Warwickshire once.
They both operate together just the drivers one is not playing as it should.

It keeps finding home about 3-5cm away from where it should at both the top and bottom of the wipers movement, then doesn't park itself properly once finished and sticks out about 3cm.

The passengers side is fine, just the drivers side.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
sillly thing to say but when it was frosty did (i know it was a while ago !) but did you move it when your windscreen was frosty , it might just be slowly going out of alignment.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
I'm guessing there are park position sensors and maybe wipe end/return sensors too. I reckon the drivers side has a position sensor problem, maybe the sensor/s need cleaning or adjusting or replacing.

Does anyone know how the wipers know where they are? Normal wipers are not intelegent and are just a motor and a linkage

I'm thinking that maybe the mk2 has 2 wiper motors, one for each side :shrug:

Jun 1, 2009
west lothian
I'm guessing there are park position sensors and maybe wipe end/return sensors too. I reckon the drivers side has a position sensor problem, maybe the sensor/s need cleaning or adjusting or replacing.

Does anyone know how the wipers know where they are? Normal wipers are not intelegent and are just a motor and a linkage

I'm thinking that maybe the mk2 has 2 wiper motors, one for each side :shrug:

Yeah mk2 has 2 wiper motors.

ianltd

Aug 31, 2008
Powys
Not wishing to hi-jack!! but this morning I was on way to work and the drivers wiper went down the screen - same as the passengers but then shot back up at warp speed and smacked itself against the pillar, shot out an inch and then returned!!

On the next intermittent stroke, it did the same, but would not operate atall on 'constant'

Anyhow, pi**ing down on the M54, it stopped altogether and I went to work in Cannock and then phoned Barlows of Wolves??!!

Took it into them about 10.30 am and at 4.00 this afternoon I ws still there (loosing the will to live) and they still had no idea what it was!!

They reckon that the passengers is the boss and tells the drivers motor what to do!

It seems mine has told the drivers to sod off and go on strike.......................

I had to leave it there and walk home to Powys......god I'm knackered!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll keep you posted??!!

Cheers,

Ian

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Not wishing to hi-jack!! but this morning I was on way to work and the drivers wiper went down the screen - same as the passengers but then shot back up at warp speed and smacked itself against the pillar, shot out an inch and then returned!!

On the next intermittent stroke, it did the same, but would not operate atall on 'constant'

Anyhow, pi**ing down on the M54, it stopped altogether and I went to work in Cannock and then phoned Barlows of Wolves??!!

Took it into them about 10.30 am and at 4.00 this afternoon I ws still there (loosing the will to live) and they still had no idea what it was!!

They reckon that the passengers is the boss and tells the drivers motor what to do!

It seems mine has told the drivers to sod off and go on strike.......................

I had to leave it there and walk home to Powys......god I'm knackered!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll keep you posted??!!

Cheers,

Ian

so your wipers have had a lovers tiff then?
was laughing reading but for the wrong reasons , any one who has to deal with SEAT has my full sympathy , i did their customer feeback survey on the phone last week and its a score thing 10 excellent 1 bad , i gave 1 for almost everything , the lady said SEAT might want to contact you , can i give them your name , i said of course not heard a thing lol.

ianltd

Aug 31, 2008
Powys
so your wipers have had a lovers tiff then?
was laughing reading but for the wrong reasons , any one who has to deal with SEAT has my full sympathy , i did their customer feeback survey on the phone last week and its a score thing 10 excellent 1 bad , i gave 1 for almost everything , the lady said SEAT might want to contact you , can i give them your name , i said of course not heard a thing lol.

Yeah, I think the drivers one had a 'headache':confused:

When the guy working on it came back several times for a progress report with 'that look' on his face, I knew it wasn't goin' to get any better!
At one point, I asked him to nail it back together and I would take somewhere else - but then he really looked panicked!

The forecourt looked like a scrappers paradise with all the general scrappage trade - in heaps lying around waiting for death and when I asked...............no, begged for even a wheel barrow to get me home, they said 'I'm sorry we just don't have anything available'

Customer service is pants these days:(

Anyhow I figured its 10 months old now, and judging by the confused look of the 'technicians' faces, it will probably still be there in time for its MOT as well!

I gotta be fair, the Lady on the desk was very helful................she would have probably fixed it as well if they had let her.

You gotta laugh haven't you, they look so serious and sound so convincing when they lay down the bullsh*t:D:D

I hope I get a Customer Survey Feedback:D

Cheers,

Ian

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Yeah, I think the drivers one had a 'headache':confused:

When the guy working on it came back several times for a progress report with 'that look' on his face, I knew it wasn't goin' to get any better!
At one point, I asked him to nail it back together and I would take somewhere else - but then he really looked panicked!

The forecourt looked like a scrappers paradise with all the general scrappage trade - in heaps lying around waiting for death and when I asked...............no, begged for even a wheel barrow to get me home, they said 'I'm sorry we just don't have anything available'

Customer service is pants these days:(

Anyhow I figured its 10 months old now, and judging by the confused look of the 'technicians' faces, it will probably still be there in time for its MOT as well!

I gotta be fair, the Lady on the desk was very helful................she would have probably fixed it as well if they had let her.

You gotta laugh haven't you, they look so serious and sound so convincing when they lay down the bullsh*t:D:D

I hope I get a Customer Survey Feedback:D

Cheers,

Ian

If you log a call into Customer care you will no doubt get a call for a customer satisfaction survey.
1 thing i did repeat to the lady more than once was "its a shame that SEAT dont actually believe in the CARE part of the customer service " i did feel sorry for her in the end.

hey ho such is live i mean when they have your car for 14 weeks and dont actually work on it what do they expect?.

ianltd

Aug 31, 2008
Powys
Hi,

Just a quick update on the dodgy wipers that had a row!

Got the car back today and yeah.............they work:happy:

In case anyone gets the same stuff happening, it turns out that the left wiper tells the right wiper what to do (a bit like a marriage really) by sending signals down a wire:)

Anyhow, apparently this signal wire to the right had become chaffed and broken - really thin jobby that goes all behind the dash somewhere.

So if your right wiper starts to go at warp speed and then croaks.....this is what it is!!

To be fair, they did a good job - didn't even know they had been in the car apart from that I don't remember the steering wheel being in front of the passengers seat:D

Cheers,

Ian

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2009
west lothian
Hi,

Just a quick update on the dodgy wipers that had a row!

Got the car back today and yeah.............they work:happy:

In case anyone gets the same stuff happening, it turns out that the left wiper tells the right wiper what to do (a bit like a marriage really) by sending signals down a wire:)

Anyhow, apparently this signal wire to the right had become chaffed and broken - really thin jobby that goes all behind the dash somewhere.

So if your right wiper starts to go at warp speed and then croaks.....this is what it is!!

To be fair, they did a good job - didn't even know they had been in the car apart from that I don't remember the steering wheel being in front of the passengers seat:D

Cheers,

Ian

The fact that you had a steering wheel at all seems like a bonus!:lol:

Mr Cellotape

AKA Mr Ribbed
May 9, 2006
Warwickshire once.
This is beginning to sound exactly like what is happening to mine.... my right wiper must have been diss-owned by the left.

Its in for a service next Thursday so they can do that as well as fixing the bonnet linning that has a hole in it where the sensor on top of the engine is rubbing through it.

ianltd

Aug 31, 2008
Powys
This is beginning to sound exactly like what is happening to mine.... my right wiper must have been diss-owned by the left.

Its in for a service next Thursday so they can do that as well as fixing the bonnet linning that has a hole in it where the sensor on top of the engine is rubbing through it.

Hi,

Glad this has helped:)

Apparently, the guy says, if the signal wire is on its way out, the right wiper can do all sorts of weird stuff, not just what mine did, so when you take yours in, you can pretty much tell them whats wrong!

It might save the six hours for them to find out the problem:whistle:

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

Ian

Mr Cellotape

AKA Mr Ribbed
May 9, 2006
Warwickshire once.
Wipers fixed now..... was loose as anything and the garage have tightened it up again and made it work again........ dont have to keep hanging ot of the window and pushing it back in place anymore.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.