Underside of bonnet...

White_Lady_170

Dirty Derv
Jan 20, 2009
N. Ireland
The Black carpet-like material attached to the underside of the bonnet, is it for sound deadening or is it to protect against heat?

what would be the consequences of removing this for a long period of time (idealy, completely)

It looks terrible, it soaks up water and then starts to grow its own colony of bacteria! I dont like it and want it gone... but is there going to be any negative effect on my bonnet if i do this?

Thanks

Feb 12, 2006
North Lincolnshire.
Spot on.Its to supress the sound so remove it only if you dont mind it quite a bit louder.Take it off and pressure wash it if you want it really clean but its under there out of eyesight anyway.
Doesnt soak up water much anyway cos of the heat from the engine.

Last edited:

White_Lady_170

Dirty Derv
Jan 20, 2009
N. Ireland
mine must be a crappy design then, after washing the car and lifting the bonnet, the water runs out of it like a river!

cant be good for whatever it is in at the back of the engine that its raining all over...

Because its at the bottom of it (closet to the windscreen when bonnet is down, bottom when bonnet is lifted) it isnt getting much heat from the engine therefore its staying damp and there are white patches of fungi growing...

So basically its going to be more noisy but not going to harm the bonnet or paint because of the extra heat?

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
I don't think the black stuff is to do with heat but I do remember a mate of mine had a clio 16v that made the bonnet paint go like crackle effect in the middle due to heat damage. :shrug:

Feb 12, 2006
North Lincolnshire.
Cant say I've washed my car then immediately looked under bonnet for water running off it,but I am also in the process as we speak of having a new bonnet and probably under cover.Oh and wing etc.

Last edited:

adriaticman

Jan 13, 2008
essex
underside of bonnet

I had my piece of cheap carpet replaced under warranty, after it looked like I was growing a botanical fungus garden. Replacement going the same way. Did hear a whisper that it`s made worse by water residue from washers (design problem). Wonder if problems been fixed on facelift?:headhurt:

DaveysFR

May 28, 2008
Northern Ireland: Limavady
Ive been running my Cupra with the cover off for the past two months and I have no adverse effects from heat etc. Go for it, just makes the engine a bit louder.

Also, it could be assumed that the bonnet would dissipate heat better without it on. Thus cooling the bay a bit maybe? :shrug:

daveclayton

Sep 22, 2008
wakefield
i took mine off the day i got it. so thats nearly a year now and no paint damage to report. just makes the engine noise slightly louder :D do it people, remove the recycled carpet!

White_Lady_170

Dirty Derv
Jan 20, 2009
N. Ireland
Its not that well painted under it either :doh:

Just get some engine bay spec Dynamat if you want to keep the sound down.

that is correct! more of a gold colour than white :ban: where can i purchase this Dynamat stuff and would it be worth doing? or would the same thing just happen with it...?

leon_lib

seat leon FTW
Dec 22, 2008
burnley
I think same will happen when it rains or you wash the car it'll get wet and then when you drive around it gets hot and that's bacterias growing place, maybe just jet wash and let it dry and just keep on top of it to prevent bacteria growing,

Chuckie

I Have It
Apr 22, 2006
South Lincolnshire
I have the same on my FR, after quite a bit of backwards and forwards with Seat customer services, they agreed that it was a design problem and a fix had been requested from their technical dept!!!!!!!

When I asked if they would change it under warrenty they agreed :)wtf:) the car goes in on Friday, the dealer is also going to change a 'plastic part' or 'it will just happen again'

wish me luck
Ch

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise