New CUPRA R officially confirmed

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
The copa was just a car that a SEAT importer modififed themselves.

There is nothing to stop SEAT UK doing something similar, and I know thoughts internally have been seemingly straying towards them producing their own special edition HOT Leon Cupra.

It may not happen, but it's being looked at with some interest.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
How is it doing 0-60 in 6.1?

A 300bhp cupra copa does it in 6.0.

Surely 25bhp isn't going to shave nigh on half a second off the sprint to 60? Heavier wheel too, bigger rear brakes, all added wieght.

And why the f**k did seat do the copa that's more powerful than the range topping cupra r????

Anybody think Audi and vw had a say in this? A more powerful cupra r than a golf r or scirrocco r Or s3 would certainly hit the headlines.

Why don't they just bloody release the copa over here with an r badge? Il take one.

I don't think iv ever been as disapointed. Totally pathetic effort.

It has that electronic diff, and its possible the width of the tyres is greater with the 19" wheels. Plus you need to remember that wheelspin is an issue with 0-60 when you are talking about approaching 300bhp through the front wheels.

As for the Copa you mentioned here, a "K1R" mentioned above etc, maybe its just my sense of humour, but I think they have done well by not adding the Aero kit (the same one that was added for free to early model Ref Sport Diesel Leons and latterly to the K1 and left as an option for every other model). The reason for this is because the Cupra R will only be confused with the Cupra and FR rather than any other model with those fugly bumpers.

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
All this time waiting for the cupra R and lets be fair the design team must have knocked the new spec up during one of thier cofee breaks. :(
The only award that Seat can take from this is that they have created the biggest Flop ever.
The best looking MK2 imho was the original Cupra design.

H_man

Jan 16, 2005
London
I have been wanting to buy a New Cupra for a will now, But knew that that there would be a Cupra R coming.

As that is what happed last time bought my cupra and then the R came and boy was I upset.

Now I am wondering what I waited for could have bought a Cupra and moded it to what I wanted.(such as Brembo brakes, more Bhp to rival the focus RS and even the K1 Kit ).

I would be happy with the bhp if it had 4 wheel drive(same as the S3), Bremb's, and the K1 Kit .

Seat have all ways had some thing more than it sister companies(Such as the old S3 and the Cupra R) The Cupra R have all the same things as the S3 and more, except the 4wd, but looked better and drove better and stopped better (thanks to Brembo big brake kit) than the rest.

Made someone should send this link to SEAT and show what the fans think !!!!!!

Last edited:

Moley RUFC

Up in the Lickeys........
Nov 20, 2006
Lickey,Worcs
Am I the only one that like's it?:shrug:

The reason I like it is because in 3 months time I was going to upgrade to a Cupra and possbly an R when available but now my decision to go for an Octavia vRS DSG in Race Blue has been made easier.

Skoda have it right really. They release a car within it's range that stands on it's own without confusion. It has it's own colours, it has LED lights that no other version has (like them or not they define the vRS) it has a subtle sports kit and interior that can not only belongs solely to the vRS but can't be fitted to a normal Octavia to make it look like the range topper, again there is no confusion.

Seat were always up against it when they designed and allowed the Aero Kit to be fitted with any model within the range.

Some owners of the FR & Cupra would think ''Hang on, I might not like the kit but why the hell does my range topping car look (in some eyes) look a poor relation to a 1.6 in a dress?''

In my opinion people who pay the most for their car's should get the most.

Go look at a Focus Edge then a Focus ST/RS ....

No bueno bastante Seat

HotHatchSteve

Jul 6, 2009
Well I wondered when I ordered a New Cupra a couple of weeks ago if I should wait for the R, glad I didnt now. Not enough differances with the external look for me.

JamJay

California Bound
Stick new & old LCR's side by side, i'd pick MK1 every time despite the 40ps difference. If you mention that you have an LCR, people always know what it is, like how it looks and it commands a certain amount of respect on the road...the mk2 never got that amount of respect...in any trim! Style the body on this new one and it might change things, certainly for me as if it managed to look the part, i'd consider buying.

Bonzy1800

Back in a SEAT
Sep 16, 2005
jersey
im amazed, what a let down been following the cupra R with real intrest since finding 265ps engine on the net been thinking this was guna be a bit special with 19" wheels but never showed the bumpers on ETKA what they looked like, so i thought there guna be different something special huge let down.
this should of just been the facelift cupra and the R badge left alone.
Or bumpers changed at entry of port into the UK something special ie side skirts rear spoiler slighlty more aggresive bumbers and a trade make cupra R splitter!!!
this should be sent to seat so thay can see our opions

Al

Aug 29, 2005
What else would others buy in place of an LCR though? I am not willing to wait for the MK3 Leon and then another year later for the "hot" version.

Assuming a list price of little more than the Cupra, the MK2 LCR would be the second cheapest way to 300bhp on a new car (with a remap) behind the Cupra (with a £300 fuel pump upgrade and remap).

For me, as I need 5 doors for work, I think it will be a choice between;

335i M Sport
attachment.php

S3
PHOTO_1196829_7276_1747949_main.jpg

Golf R20T
golfr20t.jpg

I guess this is because they all look the part as well as "go" the part.

Another thing worth thinking about it the fact that the MK2 Leon is approaching the end of its life span, and this will make the likes of the forthcoming new Poxhall Astra VXR more appealing as well as the souped version of the new Renault Migraine. Even the overpriced Focus RS looks a lot more appealing despite the extra coin required to buy it, but its residuals are very likely to be a lot more favourable than the likes of our SEATs.

Struggling to think of many other good things about the MK2 LCR, but at least my MK2 Leon Cupra shouldnt take that much more of a kick in the balls value wise even though it has lost almost half of its new value in little more than 2 years despite it being in good nick with average miles.

Last edited:

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
Sorry mate, but the MK2 Leon Cupra is far superior to the MK1 Leon Cupra R, but that is a whole other story. The Leon Cupra R was clearly distinct from the rest of the range though, and appealing to the eye.

I wouldnt say its got superior looks or presence compared to the Mk 1.
I think they really need a wow factor on the forecourt and this isnt enough.

The first bite is with the eye so to speak.

the cat

Like a dog with a bone.
Jul 20, 2004
Geordie Land
Am I the only one that like's it?:shrug:

No, I don't dislike it in principle. Maybe I'm getting old, but I'd prefer a car that's more understated.

I do agree that SEAT should have tried harder but its price tag will probably reflect that. I'm sure when the mk4 Ibiza came out, people slagged it off for not being a mk3 then the same thing happened with the mk2 leon. People are fickle.

Anyway, I don't see how you can immediately dismiss it without knowing price, reading a review or even driving it...

JamJay

California Bound
No, I don't dislike it in principle. Maybe I'm getting old, but I'd prefer a car that's more understated.

I do agree that SEAT should have tried harder but its price tag will probably reflect that. I'm sure when the mk4 Ibiza came out, people slagged it off for not being a mk3 then the same thing happened with the mk2 leon. People are fickle.

Anyway, I don't see how you can immediately dismiss it without knowing price, reading a review or even driving it...

I don't think anyone disputes how it will drive, we all know it'll be pretty good and I am interested to see how this electronic mimic of an LSD performs. But a range topper needs to look a little special, look at the new Golf R20 for instance, not OTT but you can certainly tell the difference between it and a GTi.

H_man

Jan 16, 2005
London

I Agree,we do not know what the price is yet, And we dont know if it will look like this when it gets out after the motor show!!!!!

There will be alot of people at the motor show that will say things, so let see what happens.
It might not be the same car we have been looking at!!!!!!!(or am I trying to fool my self)

Last edited:

the cat

Like a dog with a bone.
Jul 20, 2004
Geordie Land
As it is technically the same as the cupra, it will drive the same.

As everything else is the same, there is no need for a review. You dont need a review to tell you its got badges and 19inch wheels.

Indeed...

Price? Besides, it has that electronic LSD, bigger brakes and wheels. Is it possible it will have a different suspension setup? Anyway, I do think price is all important - if it's not that much dearer than the current Cupra then it may represent good value...

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
Indeed...

Price? Besides, it has that electronic LSD, bigger brakes and wheels. Is it possible it will have a different suspension setup? Anyway, I do think price is all important - if it's not that much dearer than the current Cupra then it may represent good value...

Yes but the FR and Cupra also have the XDS electonic diff.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Seat are not listening to what we all want as a community.

The Cupra R the way its been designed serves no purpose apart from annoy people who purchased the Cupra and FR. It also annoys people who want to stick to the SEAT brand and who are waiting for something special to come along.

Once my mk1 has gone I dont think I will be with SEAT anymore which is a shame :(

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.