water leak dilemma

Havok316

Boost Junky
Jun 6, 2006
Weston-super-Mare
Hi all, after discovering my saturated boot, my soaking wet passenger front and rear foot wells, and signs of mould I decided to investigate the problem. We found the rear washer tube had come off in 2 places! But could there be another problem? I've looked behind trim & door cards but cant see any evidence. Please read below...

First Leak Found

Photo0078.jpg

is behind the trim where the boot light is. Is it possible this could have been sabotage? because its been for a service recently and when I connected it back up it was really tight and clicked together. Anyways I used a bit of plumbing tape to make sure. This problem caused the entire boot matt, and side carpeting (where the 12v power socket was) to be soaked causing mould on the rear of the seat (passenger side) Also WD40'd around the inside of the arch to help clear water and to make a water proof seal to prevent rusting.

Second Leak Found

IMAG0067.jpg

This is the second time I've had to repair this tube! So this time i added a little bit of glue around the base of the plug along with plumbing tape.

Now the only question I have now is why is there mould on the front passenger door at the bottom?

IMAG0069.jpg

I read this fantastic guide on door seal leaking which appears to be common, but after removing the door card and examining the metal plate and rubber seal it appeared all ok and no signs of leaking even around the speaker. We poured water all over the outside of the window and door seals to see if any water was coming in but nothing. So we assume its all ok. We found mould near the passenger front seat mount along with mould under the front passenger door. I have to say we notice a lot of water in this area after its rained and we open the door which could explain the mould but surely there is something wrong here?

IMAG0068.jpg

IMAG0070.jpg

IMAG0071.jpg

We then checked the back passenger door and appears ok, no signs of leakage.

Then lastly we checked the pollen filter. This was all secure and felt dry, apart from a few leaves it seemed fine.

So my question is the soaked carpets all from the disconnected water pipe in the boot of the car? somehow made its way behind the trim into the rear passenger foot well and then soaking the carpet towards the front? The rear is far more soaked than the front.

Last edited:

cappitman

I was told that if you stretch your legs out in the front passenger seat you can disconnect the rear wash pipe ! Dont know if its true or not ?

davidhunter

Apr 27, 2004
I am in exactly the same place. Both front doors leaking. My car has been hit twice in the last year and repaired under insurance but I think they have not sealed the doors. If it rains I might as well wear armbands.

Going to read that link you placed there to try all the ideas on that.

David

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
Sprinkle talc along the plastic sill, i bet the water is coming in from the door seal.

Pouring water isn't sufficient, it needs to go through a car wash/a hose pipe over it/heavy rain for you to see the leak through the metal door panel in my experience.

MrTurner

Jun 21, 2009
Keep an eye out on that one that goes to the rear wiper motor. Ony my golf, the leak was inside the motor, no way to fix other than replace the motor. The water goes through the motor, but the metal shaft inside had broken, so water came back out, even though the external part was OK.

Tpot

had problems with water myself just after buying the car.

Seal the aux panel again just to be sure, check the gasket under the pollen filter holder also, thats where alot of the water in my LCR was coming in

Havok316

Boost Junky
Jun 6, 2006
Weston-super-Mare
I found the seal on doors completely rotted after removing the internal metal plate thingy. So I've now done the front two doors as the drivers door too had a rotted seal.

Problem is now I cant get the smell of damp mould out of the car, I fabreezed it all but I guess time heals all wounds lol

Havok316

Boost Junky
Jun 6, 2006
Weston-super-Mare
its very easy but you will most probably break a clip or two. You remove the screws in the handles and simply yank down on the cover until the trim pops off the metal skin. You will need someone to hold the boot lid open while your yanking down on the trim

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
You can also free it by laying your seats flat, shutting the bootlid and pulling at the cover once the screws are out. Its tight - very tight but it will come off eventually.

kevinmac87

Can you take the aux panel off completly without having to worry about disconnecting winodw winders etc?

davidhunter

Apr 27, 2004
Havok316,

I just tried to seal my door last night. Took off panel, took out window glass etc. and I have a putty substance that is like thick double sided sticky tape anyway it does not look like its worked as the upper part of the cill of my door was wet again this morning although no water in footwell but then the rain was not that heavy.

One point I noticed there are 2 black dots of palstic top left of your 4th pic down, I did not realise that there was a piece of palstic attached behind these to the door lock area. I broke the plastic off, hopefully its not too important but others be warned these like all the cables etc. need to be disconnected before the silver carrier plate comes off.

Anyone any idea what that bit of plastic does? also where can you buy the push in connectors to hold the door card on with as i broke 3 of them also and have only done one door so far.

Cheers

David

PS. would have highlighted the plastic in the pic but no idea who you post pics on thie forum, think I had this problem before attachments dont seem to work.

slickbone

Apr 4, 2010
Leon Mk1 No rear washer fluid at rear windscreen

All,

I finally came round to fixing the issue of having no washer fluid coming out at the rear. Thanks to the pictures posted by Havok316, this helped me fix my problem.

I wanted to give something back to this forum so I have taken pictures as I went about fixing it.

The area you need to work on is the rear passenger side of the boot. So looking into the boot its the area on your left.

1. Remove the screws where the red arrows are pointing.

2. Remove the screw shown by the red arrow.

3. Pull out the plastic panel half way gently. The panel I'm talking about is the one where you have just undone the 3rd screw. This will give you enough space to pull out the top plastic panel.

4. Pull out the top plastic panel which is held by the first two screws in step 1. To do this pull from the side nearest to the boot working your way forwards into the car. The panel will unclip. You need to give it a firm pull.

5. Circled in red you can see where the washer pipe has disconnected from its joint. Connect the washer pipe arrowed red to its joint arrowed in yellow.

I found this is where my leak was. If this is ok then the disconnect of the washer pipe must be behind the plastic boot panel.

Hope this guide is clear and easy to follow. If i can do this then anyone can! :)

Dave_c85

Dec 1, 2013
The rear washer pipe probably disconnected due to frozen water in the line downstream of.the connection. If frozen and you keep trying to spray the rear washer the pressure build up is enough to pop off the connector. Just make sure come winter that your washer fluid is very concentrated :)

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk