New CUPRA R officially confirmed

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
No, I don't dislike it in principle. Maybe I'm getting old, but I'd prefer a car that's more understated.

I agree, it's not the look that disappoints me but power output, even at the quoted 265 I think that's not very ambitious of SEAT

Question: is it a lack of ambition by SEAT or the maximum the parent company will allow :shrug:

Unless it's a revelation to drive......which I can't see.....then it's more than dissapointing

The Mk1 LCR had me reaching for my cheque book (well bank loan).......this doesn't light my fire atm

Last edited:

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
Disagree. No offence, but who would want a brand new obsolete model car with inferior technology and hardware that is slower, more polluting, less safe and less tunable than its successor, even if it was arguably better looking?

Id bet that the majority of potential buyers out there will judge on looks before going in to a dealer to find out what makes it good to drive. You need to get them through the door first.

Hopefully the car will be better in the flesh.

kenboon

May 28, 2005
Derby
Id bet that the majority of potential buyers out there will judge on looks before going in to a dealer to find out what makes it good to drive. You need to get them through the door first.

Hopefully the car will be better in the flesh.

I agree totally with that.

Poverty

Its a bit of disappointment really. I was hoping for more aggressive styling.

I'm considering one of these next even more now - http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/image53807_b.jpg

They've got the emissions down and the MPG up. Says they've sorted the torque steer too. http://www.caradvice.com.au/24732/2009-mazda3-mps-official-details/

two of the lads from the local M.N.C.R have got mps3's. Very quick as standard, but not much tuning available for it in the UK. They sound very distintice on hard acceleration, and a remap is meant to yeild over 300hp also, trouble is the ecu is said to be hard to crack and therefore not many people are interested in developing bits for it as there arent many on the road.

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
my mates got the current one, and its pretty much un-tunable (and nasty inside, but dont tell him).

two of the lads from the local M.N.C.R have got mps3's. Very quick as standard, but not much tuning available for it in the UK. They sound very distintice on hard acceleration, and a remap is meant to yeild over 300hp also, trouble is the ecu is said to be hard to crack and therefore not many people are interested in developing bits for it as there arent many on the road.

Thats not something I'm not too bothered about personally . The Cupra and the MPS are both quick enough cars as standard. I was more meaning as an overall standard package, the MPS has the edge for me now.

Last edited:

fl1nty360

I thought it was April 1st for a moment after seeing those pics and spec of the new 'R'....

very dissappointing was looking to trade up from my FR to cupra R but dont think i will bother now, either just get standard cupra or as one of the guys above said the mazda 3 MPS looks very tempting as a complete package...

Al

Aug 29, 2005
To a degree....... I remeber when the Astra GSI Turbo was all the rage a few years back it would have been cheaper to buy and fit a new engine then tune to a respectable level. Sorry bit off topic I know........ :D

....an extra 50bhp or so was availble from the OEM turbo and other bits though ;)

Back on topic.....

Poverty

That link mentioned a turbo. That makes it tunable :)

at a cost or a piggyback ecu?. Googled for mps3 remaps as my two mates where saying they couldnt find anyone to do it and reading the forums, going by recent threads there doesnt seem to be any tuners?

Although one of the lads said he found someone that said he could map it to over 300hp but who knows if that was a reputatble company. All I read on the mps forums was that mazda made the ecu really hard to crack.

Poverty

Thats not something I'm not too bothered about personally . The Cupra and the MPS are both quick enough cars as standard. I was more meaning as an overall standard package, the MPS has the edge for me now.

yours not remapped I take it :whistle:

Mar 29, 2007
Berkshire
Almost everything I feel about this Mk2 LCR has been said already, but starting from an MPV you can't really expect much I suppose...

Really a shame as the Mk1 LCR looks great, handles well with minimal suspension mods and the 1.8T is very tunable, so can't see this as an upgrade at all.

I think most people will be upgrading to Audi S3s, Golf Rs or BMW 135s rather than this Altea, umm, I mean Leon.

BeezerDiesel

Minus a Diesel Beezer
Aug 3, 2002
Exeter
Visit site
I thought it was April 1st for a moment after seeing those pics and spec of the new 'R'....

I did too.
I can get the point of the 265bhp engine, the S3 has quite a few differences to the ED30/Cupra engine from what little I have read (cams, compression ratio, intercooler and likely other bits too), but like others have said: Why market an FR @ 210PS, Cupra @ 240PS and an LCR @ 265PS when they all look so alike? Very odd and very likely being leaned on by VW/Audi going on that the new Golf R will probably be around the £26,000 mark and the LCR around £21,000 ish. Surely SEAT will have to kit the car out with a load of standard kit to make it a better proposition than a cooking Cupra? Xenons, for a start, should be standard and at least some unique interior trim if the exterior is going to look like a base model with big wheels. Even just a lip spoiler and some skirts would have been something.
I do like the 19s though.

Someone care to photochop a mk1 LCR lip spoiler onto the facelifted Cupra mk2 bumper maybe? :)

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Well, the mk1 leon Cupra R started life as a mk4 Golf and that turned out ok...SEAT probably deserved a medal for working wonders with that dog of a chassis...
the mk2 chassis is excellent to, some argue the SEAT suspension on the m2 cupra is probably best out of the FWD VAG cards and other hothatches of the same size. Its the looks and the lack of a special feature that let it down.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members