What's a 20VT like to live with mpg wise?

nuts

Feb 6, 2006
Leeds
Hi All,

Been a while since I've been on the forum.

Looking at getting a 03 reg Cupra 20VT. Just wondered what people thought of ownership, what are they like to live with MPG-wise.

Also, any idea on what to look out for when I go view one... any faults?

Cheers,

Nuts

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
awesome car, easily moddable, responds very well to maps, induction etc.

reliability wise, if maintained.. coilpacks, mafs prone to failure, leaky door seals... bout it.

bombproof engine if looked after.

make sure cambelt and water pump is done at 60k, change pump to metal impellor type.

mpg wise, depends on driving style, rag it and youll see low to mid 20s

drive it properly and learn how to use the throttle and should see 30-32.

good runs have seen 35-38mpg

average id say would be 27-30mpg

run it on good quality fuel 98ron+, vpower etc.

nuts

Feb 6, 2006
Leeds
Cheers James.

What mods should I go for to get more low down torque? -Want to be thrown back in my seat. -Understand that a LCR would be a better starting point but MPG, insurance etc concerns me hence cupra choice.

MrTurner

Jun 21, 2009
Learn how to use the throttle properly?! I use mine properly, I just press it harder than I maybe should! I average about 27, full mix of driving.

Best bet for you is a remap. If you chose your insurance company well, you'll be able to get a remap covered OK. Mine cost £30 extra for the year, and I've now got 207bhp and 229lbft of torque.

TopTogs

If you switch your K03 turbo for something with a bigger spool, like the K04 or one of the latest ones, plus the remap, you can probably have it geared towards more low down performance.

Most remaps tend to give you more mid range tourque and better mpg. If you want the 'push back' in the seat feeling, which, lets face it, is awesome!! Then you may have to sacrifice some MPG in order to get that.

TopTogs

Mar 29, 2007
Berkshire
Go for a more aggressive engine map that gives you all the torque low down the rev range.

Mpg-wise I've been hovering around 27mpg pretty much constantly since the remap. Prior to that I was probably closer to 28mpg, so not a lot of difference. :)

Skint

Because i'm worthless..
Dec 7, 2008
On the A281
I get about 30-31 mpg average, but if you can be bothered you can get up to 38. I got this figure when a had a leaky vacuum pipe and wanted to drive off boost all the time.
My car is standard and this was running on normal unleaded.

Another thing you might want to look for when buying is tyres. If you get a car with cheap ones fitted you'll just get frustrated with wheelspin and understeer and end up wanting to swap them for good ones.

wurzel

Jun 2, 2003
East Anglia
Visit site
Like anycar the MPG depends on how hard you drive. My daily commute at the moment is a mixture of A road, dual carriagewa & motorway (80 miles each way) I regularly see 39mpg from my Cupra (sometimes even get 42), even when driving enthuastically I see 35/36 easily. Its the town driving & short journeys that will kill the MPG

nuts

Feb 6, 2006
Leeds
Cheers guys. Is there a big difference in mpg between cupra r and cupra? The R is a stunning car.

Sold my saab 9-3 TID 150 tonight so just need to find the right cupra. Might take some time because alot of the ones on autotrader are selling quick. Anyone know of any good low milea examples?

Nuts

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.