New FR TDi - Opinions

Space Coyote

May 12, 2003
Derbyshire
Visit site
I've recently sold my '06 Leon TDi Sport and bought a Z4 3.0si and frankly I'm missing my Leon quite badly.

I'm considering a new FR CR TDi 170 with a bunch of options, hopefully to include a leather interior.

My first question is about the engine itself, is the common rail engine significantly different to the 140 TDi I had in the sport? Had it CC remapped pretty early on and never had any problems with it. Would definately get the new one remapped pretty quickly too, assuming there is software out there for it.

Second, the leather interior option seems a bit vague. Is there one available? I can't find pictures of it on the Seat site, but other sites do mention it.

Finally I would like to replace the exhaust with a cat back to start with and possibly a de-DPF later, any recommendations for one that fits?

Thanks in advance and I'm looking forward to coming home again - what I was thinking leaving?

:whistle:

the cat

Like a dog with a bone.
Jul 20, 2004
Geordie Land
I had the 140 for a while - it was quite noisy. Hopefully, the CR engine in the new FR should have remedied this. I haven't driven the face lift one but reviews suggest that the engine is quieter and the ride is more forgiving. The "old" one was back breaking...

As for the leather, I think you can get FR embroidered seats as fitted as an accessory. Costs around 1200 quid including the door inserts. Can't help with the rest but I'm sure someone will be along shortly....

number44

I never drove the previous version with the 140BHP Engine but i have just taken delivery of a brand new 59 plate 170 FR and im well chuffed with it. Its a really pokey engine with loads of torque and pulls from anywhere in the rev range. Dont think you will be dissapointed with it!

As far as the remaps of a tuning box goes are any available for the common rail engine yet? as im dying to get mine upgraded.

bizzaboy

Perhaps I might have overlooked something in your criteria, but have you looked into the Cupra or even K1? Or just interested in the Diesel option?

Out of interest, now having owned both, how do you find the power delivery in your BMW, compared to your previous Leon? Perhaps the answer is obvious, but interested to know anyway. :)

Having read Posts on Mk1 and 2 performance Leon's, the power delivery of the Mk2's is so much more apparent, smoother and refined. Standard, the FR 170 TDi engine would still out perform that of a mapped Mk1 Leon.

Also, with Mapping being a great option for your Mk2, you have EVEN MORE power on-tap should/when you feel the need to go down that route. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Space Coyote

May 12, 2003
Derbyshire
Visit site
For future reference, CustomCode have the software for the 170 CR in a package that includes the de-DPF for £800 and they can supply a full Milltek system with the remap and de-DPF for £1,230.

Apparently the last customer saw an increase to nearly 230 BHP :blink:

Hmmm, sounds more and more interesting.

One thing though, still confused about the FR leather interior - some dealers show it as an option, but most don't and SEAT don't show it on the website. Bit odd.

Sep 3, 2009
Walsall, West Mids
Had a FR Tdi (facelift) as a demo for 3 days last week.

Its a quick car and honestly doesnt sound like a diesel at all in my opinion. Even at higher revs it actually sounded quite nice to my ear !

Looking at the options list on my company car quote site there is a few options for the interior. The one i demo'd had silver alcantara inserts in the seats but there is also a full leather option.

Go onto the Seat UK website, go to the Leon FR page, then choices, then upholstery. Drag the bar on the bottom of the interior pic to the far right and the last option is the FR interior in full black leather.

I would have posted a link but i havent made enough posts yet ;)

HTH, Nige

Last edited:

Space Coyote

May 12, 2003
Derbyshire
Visit site
Perhaps I might have overlooked something in your criteria, but have you looked into the Cupra or even K1?

Also, having owned both, how do you find the power delivery in your BMW compares to memories of your previous Leon?

My criteria; don't really have one, apart from 3 more seats and a bit of space :D

I do enjoy the diesel engines and was regularly getting in excess of 50MPG in my 140 and with the remap, the power wasn't lacking.

The Z4 is nice and I do love driving it, but now I've had it for a few months the performance isn't as great as I was hoping (perhaps I've become used to it). The power is delivered very progressively - reasonably quick to about 4,000 RPM then the cams kick in and it roars all the way to 7K, but I miss the boost of a turbo.

I think in the end I do want the compromise of space/power/economy and I know what I'm getting with the Leon.

Last edited:

bizzaboy

I think in the end I do want the comprise of space/power/economy and I know what I'm getting with the Leon.

Interesting to read about your Z4 experiences.

Regarding the above, there aren't alot of cars out there that will give you all that in one package, however the performance Leon's DO give you the option (as you are well aware)!

Can use it for family outings having 5 doors and ample space, with average mpg into the 50's. While also having all the hot hatch credentials, with the looks, power and toys available. :)

bizzaboy

While full Leather interior would look unreal and provide that luxury finish, you wont see any of that £1200+ back when it comes to selling the car!..

Space Coyote

May 12, 2003
Derbyshire
Visit site
While full Leather interior would look unreal and provide that luxury finish, you wont see any of that £1200+ back when it comes to selling the car!..

Really? That's surprising.

I've never been into leather in a car, I always thought it looked very worn and shiny very quickly until I realised that people probably weren't looking after the leather very well.

I have a full leather interior in the Z4 and do really like it, would be interested to see what the FR in leather looks like because the Cupra is awesome.

Sep 3, 2009
Walsall, West Mids

I've never been into leather in a car, I always thought it looked very worn and shiny very quickly until I realised that people probably weren't looking after the leather very well.

I have a full leather interior in the Z4 and do really like it, would be interested to see what the FR in leather looks like because the Cupra is awesome.

Go onto the Seat UK website, go to the Leon FR page, then choices, then upholstery. Drag the bar on the bottom of the interior pic to the far right and the last option is the FR interior in full black leather.

I would have posted a link but i havent made enough posts yet ;)

HTH, Nige

:thumbup:

bizzaboy

Sorry, perhaps I was stating the obvious? :confused: I had enquired while I stood in the SEAT Dealer when I bought my FR. I asked about the Leather interior, having it ordered and fitted.

The Dealer actually said its not worth spending the extra, becomes 'dead money', unless you find someone whose actually wanting that "look" !

Space Coyote

May 12, 2003
Derbyshire
Visit site
Sorry, perhaps I was stating the obvious? :confused: I had enquired while I stood in the SEAT Dealer when I bought my FR. I asked about the Leather interior, having it ordered and fitted.

The Dealer actually said its not worth spending the extra, becomes 'dead money', unless you find someone whose actually wanting that "look" !

No no, I wasn't being sarcastic - I would have thought it would add some value at resale.

Space Coyote

May 12, 2003
Derbyshire
Visit site
Current FR leather (are these the only options available?)

black_leather.jpg

brown_leather.jpg

Sep 3, 2009
Walsall, West Mids
i believe so... thats the only options i have seen for full leather.

as i said before, the FR i demo'd last week had the cloth / alcantara option which is black cloth where the black and tan ones are black above and silver alcantara where the tan leather is.

looked really nice and is ALOT cheaper than the full leather.

S.E.C.T.

kiss my face
Jun 14, 2009
The North
Revo and Superchips both do remaps for the 170 CR engine.

Never been a big fan of leather in a car, I think the two tone is minging! All black looks ok though.

The facelift leon is an excellent car. The CR engine is much quieter but I do find it slightly frustrating that you need to rev the engine quite high to release all the power. From reading on here is sounds like getting it Revo'd would help release the power lower in the rev range

Sep 3, 2009
Walsall, West Mids
i thought i misread the stats the first time... 170ps at over 4000rpm in a diesel seemed unheard of !

i really enjoyed it though, made a change from the delivery of the Mondeo 2ltr tdi i'm currently driving ;)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.