JVC Stereo Question

h0l1yw0od

Mar 27, 2009
Hi,

Been browsing the forum since i got my 1.6 in January as it had a leak and Google led me here.

It's been an epic trip resolving the leak and i've now been told its sorted, but an interesting (and really annoying) issue has come out of it.

Basically the passenger seat had to get taken out to fix it and when it was put back in the airbag light came on and wouldn't go off.

The car was then taken to another garage to have it turned off but their computer couldn't talk to the car and after a week they said it was the stereo that was messing it up.

They have put in a new one that is Seat approved but needless to say its a right pile of poo, a VDO CD 138 if you're interested.

The one that was in there was my JVC KD-G311 that i bought for my 95 Polo back in 2005. It was fitted by Halfords in a deal at the time and did the job nicely.

I got the Leon and took it out of the Polo and plugged it straight in to the Leon, no fuss, no mess, just plugged it in and it worked fine.

Now they've told me that its wiring is not compatible with my Leon and taken it out as i've said, but what i'd like to know is, is there a simple adaptor i can get to put it back in as while it wasn't a mega sound system it played my mp3 CD's and i liked it.

Or am i going to have to bite the bullet and buy a brand new one? I was thinking about taking it up Halfords and seeing what they said but figured you guys would know a lot better then them!!

h0l1yw0od

Mar 27, 2009
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Interesting stuff, so it's not as daft as it originally sounded then lol.

So is there not a simple adaptor i can buy from Halfords or wherever that will stop the interference between the radio and the electrical system?

Thanks. :)

h0l1yw0od

Mar 27, 2009
Hi,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but i ran into a lot of problems with the car when it was serviced and have just finished paying off £1200+ worth of repairs! :cry:

I've come back to my stereo problem now, as i'd like to start liking my car again and hope i can get some enjoyment from it. This would be a small but friendly start!

I've had a re-read of the K-Line link posted above and compared it to what i have on my JVC and VDO players and i've got some questions. I've taken some pictures as well so hopefully i can get some good news and a decent stereo back in my car.

To recap, i put in my JVC stereo and it worked fine. After an issue came up with the airbag light i was told it was incompatible with the car and given a basic VDO model.

The K-wire link says to simply cut the pin 3 cable on the black connector. As you can see the JVC has no pin in this position while the VDO does:

VDO:

JVC:

So if the K line isn't connected as there is no pin, is this still the same issue?

There is this diagram on both stereos, does that help?

VDO:

JVC:

When i got the box from the dealer with my old stereo in it, it had this adaptor in there:

I don't think this was on my stereo so assume it was in the box with the replacement. Would it help? I've tried to get some snaps of the ends to see if this needs to go on.

The double end that would go in the back of the stereo has nothing in the K-line pin 3 area, as you can see it's hollow:

On the single black end that the cable from the car would plug in to there is a red and yellow cable coming out:

The yellow cable has a blue cover in the middle of it.

The red cable goes in to pin 7 on the double end and the yellow goes in to pin 4.

This was the best shot of the cables in the car i could get as i couldn't get them out any more:

I hope this makes sense to you here, as i'm not car techy and i'm really paranoid about getting another engine light come on. I can't do another ££££'s of repairs and have thought about getting rid of it already.

I'd like to love my car and any good news would be appreciated. If my stereo is simply not going in there then thats fine, i'll get another. But i'd like to be sure i'm putting one in that won't cause me problems again.

Thanks for reading my epic post, i hope you can help. :)

Last edited:

h0l1yw0od

Mar 27, 2009
Have you actually tried the new one?

Hi,

It wasn't a new one, the one i want in there that apparently caused problems was one i bought for my Polo back in 2005. When i got my Leon in January i took it out of my Polo and put it in the Leon. Everything was fine until it went to the garage.

When i got it back i was told that it was incompatible and they had given me a Seat approved one, the simple VDO one pictured above.

I haven't put it back in since, as like i said, i'm a little worried of having to pay out for everything getting screwed up again.

h0l1yw0od

Mar 27, 2009
Should be fine if the K-Line "wire" can't get a signal from the headunit :)

Ok, i guess all i can do is put it back in and see what happens. I guess next time i have to go for a service or get a light come on i'll take it out and put back the 'approved' stereo.

Out of curiosity, whats this adaptor for? As i said above it changes the position of the wiring?

Yay, 15 posts at last!!

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
Swaps the red and yellow over, you can do that yourself i think with the bullets coming of the radio ISO.

Leave that out mate, just more wires to try and shove down the back :)

h0l1yw0od

Mar 27, 2009
Swaps the red and yellow over, you can do that yourself i think with the bullets coming of the radio ISO.

Leave that out mate, just more wires to try and shove down the back :)

Ah ok, wasn't sure if it was something i may have needed.

(FYI I've updated my picture links above now)

Mar 3, 2009
Hinckley
if you had this in your old polo in 05 then your model will probably have an iso connection on the back of it and not an extended 16 pin loom like this:

APP8JVC.jpg

if thats the case you must purchase an additional ISO adapter pc2-69-4 in order to stop this issue.

then ensure nothing goes to pin 3

h0l1yw0od

Mar 27, 2009
if you had this in your old polo in 05 then your model will probably have an iso connection on the back of it and not an extended 16 pin loom like this:

APP8JVC.jpg

if thats the case you must purchase an additional ISO adapter pc2-69-4 in order to stop this issue.

then ensure nothing goes to pin 3

This is the back of my JVC, the one i bought for my 1995 Polo in 2005 and now want in my Leon:

JVC:

h0l1yw0od

Mar 27, 2009
buy this pc2-69-4

So even though i have no Pin 3 on the back of the stereo i do actually need an adaptor?

Googled it, it's only a few £'s so i don't mind trying it. As long as its not going to bring on the fault light again!

Yikes, £15 at Halfords! Won't be picking one up tonight then!!

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.