Altea Space Saver

Altea Owner

Feb 18, 2009
I have a 2005 Altea 1.9TDi, I`ve been without a Spare wheel for some time, and bought a full size spare from eBay, but I don`t think I can live with the bulge or reduced boot space using the shelf over the top of it.

So, I`m going to get a Space-saver wheel, I remember reading somewhere that one from a golf MK <?> will fit perfectly.

So, basically if someone knows:
Which MK Golf Spacesaver should I look for?
I believe it`s a 18" one, will it fit in the space in the boot (as the normal tyres are 16"?)

Many Thanks in advance!!

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
The spare wheel from a Mk5 Golf or a Jetta will be the one you want. Did you get the tub of glue and the compressor in your boot space instead? I did, and I (like you) also picked up a space saver. Then I bought a full sized alloy for when we were going on holiday. I didn't fancy going continental with the space saver.

Altea Owner

Feb 18, 2009
Excellent, Thanks for that Viking - Much appreciated!
Another question! actually 2!, just browsing eBay and some are listed as MK5 R32 - are these the same/OK?
and some others say they also fit a Audi S3, so I guess it`s safe to assume A Audi S3 Spacesaver would be OK too?

Yeah, I had the bottle of goo, got a largish screw in my tyre, pumped in the goo and watched it spurt out all over the place without sealing the hole!! - useless stuff! I bought a tyre repair kit Like gluey, rubbery worms you insert into a hole in the tyre!), which is actually VERY good, but for peace of mind I`d rather have a wheel in the boot.
Yeah, I wouldn`t fancy going overseas with just a spacesaver! and much less the bottle of goo!

yep got mine off an A3 I think. there are two versions. 16" and a 18" space saver. circumference will be the same but it is for the size of Brake disc really. though even if you had large front discs you can still use a 16" wheel. put it on the back then move the rear alloy to the front.

Altea Owner

Feb 18, 2009
Superb - Many Thanks

Gives me a few options then!!
I`ll use the bottle of goo I bought as shaving foam so as not to waste it!! :lol:
Or actually, if it goes solid? I could mould a insert in the tyre with it for the jack etc!! ;)

Thanks for your help guys, I was a bit concerned I`d buy one only to find it didn`t fit when I needed it!!

twnewcastle

Jan 18, 2009
spacesaver for sale

hi by chance i have just posted in the sales section a spacesaver off an altea
never been used and in immaculate condition,but i would need you to collect...im in newcastle upon tyne.......£60.00

Last edited:

cherryone

Dec 15, 2006
Gaaa,
Would have that off your hands like a shot, if only you were a bit closer to Middlesex !!!

Altea Owner

Feb 18, 2009
Hmmm I would`ve had that, but I`m in Essex and it`s a bit of a trek to Newcastle!!

I got one from eBay off a Audi S3, but it doesn`t fit :(

coltie

Hi,
Do you still have your full size spare? I would intrested if you can PM me,
thanks - Coltie