Are all 1.6 Sports under performing?

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
I agree that diesels are for economy, but it seems some of the petrols are really bad for economy. Far worse than larger petrols with far more power

what you getting 37mpg ? i would be over the MOON! if i could get my 2.0 16v to average at that mpg as ya talking 55mph miss daisy and on fly reset to get those numbers, add in effectively DSG auto box too

i remember the days when 30+mpg was diesels only

don't forget the figures quoted are the very very best they can squeeze in the tests at operating temp, minimum weight etc etc so don't be fooled by them and a lot of mag writers will sprout those same numbers for convenience.

the old V5 id doing well with effortless well loosened up and run in figures that still relect greatly on your efficent driving i assure ya

let it loosen up a bit more then see what it's doing then

how you measuring it by the way ?

iandjm

Nov 23, 2007
Isle of Wight
what you getting 37mpg ? i would be over the MOON! if i could get my 2.0 16v to average at that mpg as ya talking 55mph miss daisy and on fly reset to get those numbers, add in effectively DSG auto box too

i remember the days when 30+mpg was diesels only

don't forget the figures quoted are the very very best they can squeeze in the tests at operating temp, minimum weight etc etc so don't be fooled by them and a lot of mag writers will sprout those same numbers for convenience.

the old V5 id doing well with effortless well loosened up and run in figures that still relect greatly on your efficent driving i assure ya

let it loosen up a bit more then see what it's doing then

how you measuring it by the way ?

Hi Mate,

I am only using the oboard computer, but will check it agaist the miles since last refill when I fill up next. I wish I had got a higher power 1.4 turbo now :headhurt:

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
bear in mind from start up you would see 8-11-15-25 etc and increase as the engine warms up so 10 mins of that on a 20 min journey will throw away any average figure overall and i appreciate the figures you are using are realtime cold/warm used driving etc but comparing em to test figures is gonna be pushing it

i know the tests are supposed to be replica's of real conditions but can a set of rollers in a labaratory really count as real testing ???

try a rest on the run for instant mpg shown when cruising and see how that goes but rememeber the mpg figures shown are a meant as a 'guide' that's all

you would be losing a few mpg to different wheels and tyres and added options, heater on, weather or any number of infinite options

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
just to add to the 'tight' motor as it has affected a few on here in the past will vouch for as they have got better as the 10/15k miles clock up etc mind

official listed figures

Urban (mpg) 33.6
Extra urban (mpg) 49.6
Combined (mpg) 42.2

your getting 37-41 around 39 average so is only 3mpg?? under listed combined spec on a new car in autumn/winter weather ???

i'd say looking good and only the best to come yet to be honest

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
No complaints with the economy on my 1.6 petrol.

Its only done 6000 but will return an easy 45+mpg on a long gentle run. Even driven at around 75 on the motorway returns 40-42.

Around town it drops back to the low 30's but overall its as good as I had hoped:)

My 200BHP 1.9TDI cupra gets 52MPG on my 50mile drive in to work which is a mix of normal roads and motorways. When I just potter about it usually get 45mpg.
My car has 70k miles.

My dads brand new Merc C250 D (210bhp) gets around the same and its new! Not even done 1000 miles yet. I think these lower powered cars (more the diesels than the petrols) getting less than 50mpg is pretty poor TBH. New or not.

stu38

Mar 8, 2007
Essex
Hi guys,well i now done 900 miles in my boca and averaged 38 mpg on mway and urban driving , so ive been getting around 325 miles to a tank been running shell optimax so it hopefully will improve once engine wears in quite happy with that:D

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
Hmm 38mpg. I'm happy with that from a 180bhp petrol. I'm very good at driving like i'm 80 so i'm confident i'll get in the 40's when its bedded in.

Can you vent the tank on the new cars or is it 45lts and thats your lot?

the cat

Like a dog with a bone.
Jul 20, 2004
Geordie Land
37 is probs about right for the 1.6 unless it's on a run. I get 28mpg from my cupra door to door and up to 37 on a run (driving at 65mph which is painful on the motorway).

Doesnt the cold weather have an adverse effect on mpg?

the cat

Like a dog with a bone.
Jul 20, 2004
Geordie Land
37MPG from a 2.0TSI!! Thats pretty good. If I can't get up in the 40's i'm gonna be wishing i'd got a K1 Leon Cupra!

That was Ncl to York on a quiet day, not using the cruise but rather feathering the throttle and being overtaken by trucks.....it's not what I bought the car for but then the motorways
aren't exactly designed for driver enjoyment either...

WhiteIbizaMan

Thats good to be honest my 1.6TDI is only now 2months old, im getting on average around town about 42mpg, but on long runs its 50+mpg. I have done no way near 10k yet! I'm not saying its good or bad at the moment as its still not done enough miles yet to settle down. I am just quite happy with mine and considering my other half does alot of commuting in rush hour around town I think its doing pretty well.

I have noticed alot of people moaning about MPG on their Diesels & Petrols but its all about time. & Well petrols I wouldn't buy if good fuel economy was a must anyway.

Yes that's about the same for me at 5.5k and I've got lot's of learners driving mine :cry:, part country roads, but a lot of town driving and manoeuvering.

WhiteIbizaMan

WhiteIbizaMan

Do you find your diesel particulate filter gets blocked with lots of urban and manoeuver driving?

Not yet!

I had trouble in the first two weeks when the engine became very clattery (sorry about getting so technical :lol:) at high revs in first gear and to a lesser extent second and third gear. The dealer put this down to too many different drivers confusing the intelligent engine management system which is constantly learning and adjusting for your style of driving.

Prior to that it had overheated following a fractured coolant pipe and I think that this was the real reason for the engine management being confused/upset because it hasn't happened since.

All I've had since, and maybe others have experienced this(?), is the engine revving slightly on tickover, especially if I've driven quickly. It probably lasts less than a minute.

I've completed just under 6k since early October and so far so good with the DPF ;)

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
I've had the same thing with higher than usual (1000rpm) idling, someone said ti was the engine doing the regen in the background.

WhiteIbizaMan

I've had the same thing with higher than usual (1000rpm) idling, someone said ti was the engine doing the regen in the background.

Yes I've just found a ref on another thread and have asked "what does the 'regen in the background' sound like?" I'm hoping this is it rather than a problem.

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
I'd give it time guys, small, new engines take time to work in. When i was at pug the 207 1.4's petrol's never got out of the 20's wherever you took them, and the 1.6 diesels had to be grannied to get over 40mpg.

Maybe don't give it death as advised earlier, but drive them a bit sportily say 3-4k rpm changes with light throttle to loosen them up and get them bedded in.

Oh and I'll rub salt into your wounds a little now....................... my 11 year old 2 litre 8v GTi with 80000 on the clock is returning 38mpg on a run in this weather and I like to hear an exhaust note :bleh:

iandjm

Nov 23, 2007
Isle of Wight
I'd give it time guys, small, new engines take time to work in. When i was at pug the 207 1.4's petrol's never got out of the 20's wherever you took them, and the 1.6 diesels had to be grannied to get over 40mpg.

Maybe don't give it death as advised earlier, but drive them a bit sportily say 3-4k rpm changes with light throttle to loosen them up and get them bedded in.

Oh and I'll rub salt into your wounds a little now....................... my 11 year old 2 litre 8v GTi with 80000 on the clock is returning 38mpg on a run in this weather and I like to hear an exhaust note :bleh:

Hi,
Yes will give it a few more revs. Unfortunately in auto mode it changes gear way way to quickly and is in 7th by 40mph! I never see the revs go over 1800 rpm and it sounds like it''s labouring at times. Sports mode is the opposite. Far too aggressive, leaving changes to 4-5000 rpm and changing down rapidly. I really wish there was a control knob with econ at ne end of the scale, and sports at the other. Then you would be able to select the driving style that suits you. All it needs is a potentiometer feeding into the gearbox's computer.

Ian

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.