Gearbox First gear only

aterro

Banana Bomber
Oct 28, 2009
hello

right my box doesnt crunch in any gears

its just in first gear(first only)
you can here the cog in the boxing turning a noise throughout the rev range in first.
all other gears are fine.
first doesnt crunch.

can u replace the first gear ratio?
or is it a unit?
or how would u go about for fixing it?

thanks

Jun 26, 2008
Sunderland
hello

right my box doesnt crunch in any gears

its just in first gear(first only)
you can here the cog in the boxing turning a noise throughout the rev range in first.
all other gears are fine.
first doesnt crunch.

or is it a unit?

thanks

Im not sure what your asking mate? does first gear whine?

aterro

Banana Bomber
Oct 28, 2009
or is it a unit?

first gear doesnt whine high pitched
its more like a drone

Jun 26, 2008
Sunderland
thats how my gearbox started before it started whining badly in all gears, granted mine is a different unit.

could be a number of things, will cost alot of money for a garage to open it up if your not confident doing it yourself.

If you cant live with it try and source a replacement box... otherwise id just put up with it for now.

merlin051

Oil Burner!
Aug 22, 2006
North East, Darlington
My gear box started doing that, you could only hear it in certain gear's and rev ranges at certain speeds and it got progressively worse over a month or two.

I spent a full weekend under the car, dropped the gear box off, replaced the whole clutch assemly as there was a noise on the clutch release bearing - you could hear this by spinning it manually.

Also while the gear box was off the car, turning the gears manually the noise was audiable in the box. I put the car back together, then part Ex'd it the week after.

Its a big job taking the gear box out so be prepared to be without a car for a weekend minimum. would also be advantageous to get someone to give you a hand as it can be a bitch to get out on your own as its bloomin heavy.

ps i did this in my back gargen on axel stands! never again.

aterro

Banana Bomber
Oct 28, 2009
so would you say it needs a new box lads?
would it be worth doing the clutch whilst im there?
how much do garages usually charge for box fitting?

merlin051

Oil Burner!
Aug 22, 2006
North East, Darlington
if your dropping the box, take the clutch out and inspect it, if it looks worn/batterd/knackerd then yes put a new one in, its a hell of a job to have to take it off 6 months later and put a new clutch in then.

Jun 26, 2008
Sunderland
Its a big job taking the gear box out so be prepared to be without a car for a weekend minimum. would also be advantageous to get someone to give you a hand as it can be a bitch to get out on your own as its bloomin heavy.

ps i did this in my back gargen on axel stands! never again.

Use a friend to help drop it. i did it in 4 hours. ;)

joop200789

Jul 5, 2009
Barnsly
its not a hard job to do just take your time and think about it,get the car nice and high give your self plenty off room and if you dont have a friends spare to hand a jack will help you nicely bring the box down,

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise