never mind that creed it hasn't got to the 400 mark grow some balls bill

you said 450 was more the mark now stand up an be counted!!1:(:(:(:(:(:(

Last edited by a moderator:

alexj124

Mar 2, 2005
Edinburgh
a) its not finished
b) pretty close to the 400 he was hoping for
c) the 450 bhp was a guestimate only and still yet could be achieved.

Think to say he needs to stand up and be counted is a bit severe! ( unless said in jest which i think not)

all for constructive criticism which i am sure bill would take on board but thats borderline offensive

Jun 1, 2007
Heart breaker eh barnsley!!!!

So whats up your selve then bill to get the said BHP!!!QUOTE]

take more than i set of DD for that

take it as it to a dynojet or maha or sunram and see >400bhp figures now! ;)

2bar will see it get the 400bhp number on a DD rolling road... you can see the progression from just 0.3bars worth of boost being added. :)

i have'nt said its finished, its still being worked on, and was just handy yesterday to drop the polo onto the RR day and jump in and out adjusting it up and up and up... i knew i should have gone further to get a 400bhp plot to shut people up.. lol :banghead: Not the time to do this during an open rr day to hog the dyno, when it was supposed to be just for power runs. we did quite a few pulls and ajec were very accomodating. :thumbup:

max aits were 33'c and max temp rise on any run was no more than 9'C from start point which was superb. very happy with fmic performance.
please read this :D not done yet
polo-dyno-dynamics-rr2.jpg

wow, i've just noticed its reving to 8500 rpm]
:blink: no mans land :think:

you said 450 was more the mark now stand up an be counted!!1

CHILL OUT

its not done

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2003
??????????
Visit site
I think 2bar will see 400bhp on the same dyno, be it 400bhp on that dyno or 430bhp on any other you really need to try and drive 400-430bhp on wet/greasy winter roads, its a joke and plain futile.

That little car will be a rocket on dry roads. For me its all about driveability Vs power. That being said I think the Td05 18g is about the right match for an everyday car, roughly 30-35bhp more than a vf34. So a genuine 350bhp.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2007
I think 2bar will see 400bhp on the same dyno, be it 400bhp on that dyno or 430bhp on any other you really need to try and drive 400-430bhp on wet/greasy winter roads, its a joke and plain futile.

That little car will be a rocket on dry roads. For me its all about driveability Vs power. That being said I think the Td05 18g is about the right match for an everyday car, roughly 30-35bnp more than a vf34.

ya i belive 2bar will see 400 no probs. This time of year / wet is no good for anyone running 300+ power unlesss you 4wheel drive

i need to sort some kind of boost controller out i had lined a apexi up but looks like the guy is a scammer

Apr 28, 2003
??????????
Visit site
ya i belive 2bar will see 400 no probs. This time of year / wet is no good for anyone running 300+ power unlesss you 4wheel drive

i need to sort some kind of boost controller out i had lined a apexi up but looks like the guy is a scammer

I'd be very happy with a genuine/reliable 400bhp with decent spool, I have seen to many big turbo conversions with all top end power and poor spool. I followed a Vf34'd Ibiza previously and he held me off until really silly speeds as I was just spinning away and I had a slower spooling turbo, thats why I went back to the Vf for road use especially as it had given me no trouble in the past. When this Vf goes it will be a 18g simply because its rebuildable, spools very similar to the vf and makes 30-35bhp more at the top end.

The key to running 300bhp+ is simple and after 5 years I know the answer. If you run 500-600bhp but it aint on the road for the majority of the time then its a pointless waste of effort.

Run 320-400bhp and if its as reliable as the stnd car then you have done well. I'll aim for the same power as I have now on an 18g, stronger, slighly bigger turbo not being pushed as hard to make the same power more or less as the vf. I think it did 318bhp (297bhp@wheels) @ awesome last time, I'll aim for 330-335bhp.

Last edited:

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk

you said 450 was more the mark now stand up an be counted!!1:(:(:(:(:(:(

Hows about you just FCUK OFF -

Tell you what I will just turn it up to 2.5bar boost get some headline boost & power run, make it even more undrivable and give a dyno figure which will kill it and or the driver when attempting to put the power down.

The spec has always been 400bhp wanted. If you are incapable of seeing what a little more boost will achieve from the plots I have posted, you are clearly as big an idiot as your inflammatory post suggests.

A.N.Other car run on A.N.Other dyno previously made 380bhp and yet on the DD on Saturday it read 315bhp... Dyno Dynamics Rollers read on the low/realistic end of life. Take it to Awesome now and it will pass 400bhp for example. Dyno Lottery.. and as I posted, it is'nt finished.... but clearly you are incapable of reading it seems.

muppet!

Last edited:

D8MNS

Quattro Power baby yer!!!
Nov 8, 2004
Badland Brum on the manor.!!!!
bill your doing a great job job so far , and as said dyno lottery ,bet it would be above 400 on some elses rolling road, , and 400bhp is the mark and keeping it driverable .keep up the good work and the hard effort your putting into this car ,,,,,;)

Wilko

Badge snob
What turbo is it bill? Looks like similar spool to a 3076 on a 1.8.
Have to agree with gary that even 380 (on a dd) is pointless in a fwd little car.
The golf copes with about 18lb of boost on a damp road and is fine in the dry (on a 2 litre though).
If third gear won't grip, the power is pointless. Lets face it 3rd tops out around a ton, so the overtaking gear needs to grip, not put you in a hedge.

Am I also the only one that thought craig 1985's post was tongue in cheek.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Lol @ the willy waving headline figures. Driveability and well within its efficiency is what its all about.

Good work on the numbers and graphs, for something thats still WIP thats a great start. Congrats. :)

Apr 28, 2003
??????????
Visit site
Have to agree with gary that even 380 (on a dd) is pintless in a fwd little car.
The golf copes with about 18lb of boost on a damp road and is fine in the dry (on a 2 litre though).
If third gear won't grip, the power is pointless. Lets face it 3rd tops out around a ton, so the overtaking gear needs to grip, not put you in a hedge.

I am always right John :p.

Its a Pro Vs Con situation.

In Ibiza format, set of rods, 18g, ST380 aim for a genuine 360-370bhp and thats it, anymore its not worth the hassle your already beyond where an Ibiza needs to be. Keep the stnd ECU and all the things that come with it.

I look at it this way now, if I had a genuine 360-365bhp Ibiza road car if someone wanted to overtake me and I had my foot to the floor and they went past they would be going a lot faster than I ever would want to be going ;).

Nice setup up and results at those boost levels Bill.:cheers:

Sam221

Aug 9, 2009
just read all of this, epic thread.

Brilliant write up, ace pictures and a guy who knows what he's talking about.

i do just wish craig would shut up though

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Have to agree with gary that even 380 (on a dd) is pointless in a fwd little car.

turbo is'nt a GT series but a T series unit with roller bearing chra. Reason I went for this was the power request being asked for (400) and knowing it would have to run 1.8-2.0bar levels to achieve it. the bearings in the T series are metal caged unlike the Gt's which are plastic caged. when pushed hard GT's can suffer bearing cage failure as they can warp/misshape under the heat & loads. my own ibiza GT35, had a metal caged bearing assembly installed for this peace of mind, so I went this way on the polo.

T3/T04E 57trim is what you would call it, along the lines of gt3076's yes john. Its on a 0.63 hotside for as good a spool as possible. 48lb comp wheel on it according to the specs.

adjustable boost will give a choice of mild to wild.. and as you will have read all along since I posted its first drives, traction is somewhat limited when on the higher boost levels.

5 speed in this one, so longer legged gears, 3rd is immence but traction limited in dry on full chat. 4th is like elestic acceleration in dry but wheelspin in damp.

had it not been for the emoticons he used after the text I would have thought the same.
He is being a ****, simple as.

Last edited:

jamiebennett81

Very nice figures so far :)

This sort of thing just makes me want to bin my hybrid and go BT!

no it doesn't, because yours, like mine, makes our cars driveable:)

however, I would be terrified in a car that small with that kind of power

personally on that setup, I would be very happy with anything from 360-400bhp, if anything to keep it on the more reliable side, and who needs more power than that (not many road going cars that could keep up with the power to weight of the car in discussion). Figures for the pub only, period!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.