What Tyres?

one of those things...tacky and not many miles OR not as much grip and more miles.

I've got toyo proxes T1R's fitted and they've done 14,000 miles of erm 'spirited' driving. And I reckon i've worked my way through half of the rubber. so should be good for 25-28k. but they are very grippy

Ni Cupra

Inferi black cupra
May 23, 2007
Sounds like your suspension geometry is out. Had 4 wheel alignment checked recently? Fitted a suspension kit at some point?

yeah fitted coilovers and had a 4 wheel alignment done shortly afterwards, that was about year and a half ago. it wore the bridgestones i had on the back before perfectly.

james.g

Nov 28, 2009
York
yeah fitted coilovers and had a 4 wheel alignment done shortly afterwards, that was about year and a half ago. it wore the bridgestones i had on the back before perfectly.

Standard problem for lowered suspension. They conveniently forget to tell you that you need to spend a shed load more cash on adjustable strut top mounts or eccentic fixings so you can correct the static camber. As you're running you should have about 1mm more toe in at the rear and 1.5mm more in at the front than standard to compensate for the excessive camber - and even then this results in scrubbing and accelerated wear.

Anything other than short term, you're best of spending cash on getting the camber set correctly rather than have handling issues and spending more money on tyres.

eddiel34

Jan 14, 2008
Camskill have GOODYEAR EAGLE F1 ASYMMETRIC - 225/40R18 for £199.90 for a pair delivered. Are They trustworthy.

Wish the tyre fitter was as trustworthy as Camskills. Trashed my wheels fitting them. At least they are coffing up for wheels to be refurbed. Doubt he'll fancy fitting my next set though unless I buy the tyres from him.

Chuckie

I Have It
Apr 22, 2006
South Lincolnshire
My FR came with PZeros fitted, the fronts lasted 17000 and I changed them for the same cost about £210 for the pair from blackcircles
Just changed them again at 36000 I was offerd PZeros at £220 or Bridgestones at £195, I took the Bridgestones and boy are they noisy!!!!!!! don't know about grip yet it keeps bloody snowing!!!!!

CF

thepear

Hmm, tyres are only supposed to last up to 3 years before the compound starts to degrade so there's little benefit in getting starship miles out of them unless you drive like the Pope.

Why you would put low resistance, hard compund, eco or cheap tyres on a Cupra is beyond me. Why not go and put remoulds on a Ferrari? If you want to save cash, get an economy model.

Of course i'm not saying you need to spend £gazillions on brand tyres, but putting anything other than a sticky soft tyre on a performance hatch is counter-intuative, and that means 15-20K miles max out of fronts, perahps even as low as 6-8 if you enjoy yourself on twisty roads ;)

love this reply. spot on!!

eddiel34

Jan 14, 2008
Guys, I'm hating the goodyear F1 Asymmetricals. I'm not arrogant enough to say everyone else is wrong but why am I feeling this?

Straight line is bad enough but cornering is REALLY poor. I'm getting nothing turning in, just slide.

I'm hoping it's the low temp. outside as I know they are summer tyres but the Michelins were night and day better.

Any thoughts on what else could be causing the poor performance or have the Michelins spoiled me?

jcp

Dec 18, 2008
Herts
How long have the tyres been fitted- as my Eagle F1s were shocking for the first 100 miles and that was in summer. They are pretty alarming on frozen roads too- I would not expect them to perform properly until they have had a heat cycle through them that is from normal ambient up to warm to the touch and back down. Hard to achieve when it has not been above 6c since before xmas. The only time my tyres have had above that temp is in the underground car park at work!

eddiel34

Jan 14, 2008
yeah, not done too many miles since the snow left. And it is a lot more noticable at first start up, but this is the case with any tyre and I don't remember it being as extreme with the Michelins. Maybe, and I'm hoping this is the case, it is down to the low temps.

It's probably a consideration I need to take into account when next buying, as being from Scotland and heading to work at 05.30 I can expect some more of the same.

Thing is when it's perfect out I want the best, but there will always need to be a compromise in an all-rounder. Just hope I don't end up ion a ditch.

Poverty

yeah, not done too many miles since the snow left. And it is a lot more noticable at first start up, but this is the case with any tyre and I don't remember it being as extreme with the Michelins. Maybe, and I'm hoping this is the case, it is down to the low temps.

It's probably a consideration I need to take into account when next buying, as being from Scotland and heading to work at 05.30 I can expect some more of the same.

Thing is when it's perfect out I want the best, but there will always need to be a compromise in an all-rounder. Just hope I don't end up ion a ditch.

Give it a month or two once it gets warmer mate and im sure you will reap the benefits.

I did a massive 4 wheel drift the other day and I wasnt even going that fast, but it just shows how greasy the roads still are.

jcp

Dec 18, 2008
Herts
Most of us are driving on tyres which are not designed to work well at temperatures below 7c.
I am beginning to think I should have a second set of wheels with all weather tyres on- and I live 20 miles north of London. If I was based in Scotland I certainly would.
Instead I have just bought a motorbike!!

Deleted member 12175

Can anyone tell me if they have had the CONTINENTAL SPORT CONTACT 3 on their FR?

What is the best tyre? Was looking at the good year but they out of stock and need them for the weekend.

Robbo73

Seat Leon Cupra K1
Aug 9, 2009
I had P Zero Rossos on my FR and they were good. My new k1 has Dunlops(not sure of the exact model)do anyone have/rate Dunlops on the K1?

Cheers,
Iain

Jedimaster65

Searching for a clear lap
Aug 13, 2007
Cheshire
I reckon that nothing compares to the Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric.
Have been so blown away by the quieter ride, and stunning improvement in dry and especially wet weather grip that have now got my girlfriends Honda Tourer Turbo Diesel fitted with them and it has transformed the car. Smoother ride, tons more grip.
Not sure how long they will last though...

InfernalBadger

Sep 6, 2006
Berkshire
Just bought 2 vreds, wanted the goodyears but they are out of stock everywhere (and £25 more per tyre). Stock dunlops lasted 9k, gonna swap the rears to the front so I can wear them out and get vreds all round asap. :)

Hoping they'll be at least as good as the GSD3s I had on my old Leon.

Have to say that bridgestone re40s are some of the worst tyres I've ever had. They were actually scary on my old RX8

R 20vt J

Ross Jamieson
Mar 29, 2007
Irvine, Scotland
I had potenza's and didn't like them then i got micheline pilot sports and they were good at first but when i am in my mates car his is so much better and he is running parada 2's so i am going to give them a try! £220 blanced and fitted

Just bought 2 vreds, wanted the goodyears but they are out of stock everywhere (and £25 more per tyre). Stock dunlops lasted 9k, gonna swap the rears to the front so I can wear them out and get vreds all round asap. :)

Hoping they'll be at least as good as the GSD3s I had on my old Leon.

Have to say that bridgestone re40s are some of the worst tyres I've ever had. They were actually scary on my old RX8
However the RE050A on the RX8 were fantastic.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.