Cam Belt Change When???

ashfr

Having lots of trouble finding out exactly when I should get my cambelt changed.

I have a Leon Mk2 FR TDI. The service books hints at 120,000km so that would be 80,000 miles which I have now. But it also mentions that type of engine at that point which is not the same as mine.

Anyone else had theirs done yet?

cheers

ross27

Mazda 3 MPS
Mar 22, 2009
Glasgow
Phone up a Seat dealer, and ask them to type in your reg and check your car. Some are 95k seeminly!

Thats what i did, my 2.0TDi 140 is due at 80k miles.

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Still 80k for the 1.9TDi but as said above any dealer can punch your car info into ElsaPro and print it off to be 100% sure.

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
It depends on the chassis number. Call the dealers and they will be able to give you a correct figure.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
I think the dealer worked you on that one. Local dealer tried to tell me my Bora needed a 60k belt change, and he'd checked the vin number and was adamant. I simply showed him the handbook where it said the belt interval was 80k, and he then realised his computer system was outdated and needed a data update. All the 2.0ltr tdi engines are 80k miles.

langy

Aug 9, 2006
I stand corrected (too much tea today), it was done at 80k

Last edited:

noddyFR

Leon FR tdi 205+
Mar 20, 2008
Prestwick
I asked my local audi master technician who stated that 4 years or 80,000 miles is the recommended interval.
They used to have a 5 year interval, however this was replaced with 4 years/80k miles across the audi/SEAT board

I have a 2007 FR tdi mk2 and is on this time scale.

Hope this helps

ashfr

Thanks for all the replies. Look like I will be getting it changed now!

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
Talking of Cam Belt change............I did mine at 55K (think it was due at 60K its a 1.9 110bhp non PD) ...................however I got it done nearly 4 years ago (2006) its only done
25K since that date but I'm told I need to do it again on the 4th anniversary ...........has anyone known them to be a problem after 4 years because strictly speaking I was thinking I'd get another 35K out of it !!!!! Is the 4 years related to some average yearly mileage of 12K ? I can understand a mileage but not a time (unless excessive)

Paul

Cupranation

Aug 20, 2009
Warwickshire
Talking of Cam Belt change............I did mine at 55K (think it was due at 60K its a 1.9 110bhp non PD) ...................however I got it done nearly 4 years ago (2006) its only done
25K since that date but I'm told I need to do it again on the 4th anniversary ...........has anyone known them to be a problem after 4 years because strictly speaking I was thinking I'd get another 35K out of it !!!!! Is the 4 years related to some average yearly mileage of 12K ? I can understand a mileage but not a time (unless excessive)

Paul

As far as I understand the material that timing belts are made of ages and becomes more brittle with age. This aging process is not related to the wear a belt will experience through its normal use. Therefore it is just as likely that the belt can break through how many miles it has done as how old it it.

Think of an analogy with an elastic band, really old ones just snap when you try and put them round something, even if they have never been used before.............

DayselDan

Sorry to drag up an old thread but a 57 reg Leon(2008) with a 2.0TDI 140bhp engine, when is the timing belt due to be changed??