knocking noises

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
2 hours seems a lot? I was told you can change the ARB bushes without dropping the subframe and the droplinks take 10mins a side max to change.

I've not actually got round to changing my ARB bushes yet but the droplinks are simply 2 bolts each side....really easy job you can do yourself.

dippy4000

going faster
Feb 14, 2009
Kent
2 hours seems a lot? I was told you can change the ARB bushes without dropping the subframe and the droplinks take 10mins a side max to change.

I've not actually got round to changing my ARB bushes yet but the droplinks are simply 2 bolts each side....really easy job you can do yourself.

can the droplinks be done without putting on a ramp, i mean if i undo the 2 bolts is anything likley to fall/move. i can get to both bolts with full lock on. is this ok?

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Perhaps but if you don't have the tools or the space to do it yourself you don't have much choice.
Perhaps 1 1/2 hours would be nearer but not many garages will do 1/2 hour charges

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
can the droplinks be done without putting on a ramp, i mean if i undo the 2 bolts is anything likley to fall/move. i can get to both bolts with full lock on. is this ok?
This is an easy change if you have the tools.
You'll need to have the wheels off for both things, this will be the most time consuming bit

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut

Yeah I changed mine on the floor [jacked up a bit] its as simple as undoing 2 bolts, removing the drop link.replacing then doing the bolts back up again.

I don't even think I removed the wheels.

dippy4000

going faster
Feb 14, 2009
Kent
got droplinks putting on now, man at eurocar parts thinks its a bent ARB or wishbone, bloody hope not! :headhurt:

dippy4000

going faster
Feb 14, 2009
Kent
nope!

done droplinks, still the same, the old ones were in good nick too. whilst changing the n/s i measured to distance to the arb on how it should sit at and was a 65mm gap.

I think i better get a price on the arb replacement now:cry:

csd_19

May 11, 2005
Angus / Edinburgh
You sure its not the balljoint? I had a clonk coming from my offside front on rough roads and when braking to a halt you'd get a small knock from that side. Had it changed for the MOT and its all quiet now :)

Hope its not the ARB mate :(

dippy4000

going faster
Feb 14, 2009
Kent
You sure its not the balljoint? I had a clonk coming from my offside front on rough roads and when braking to a halt you'd get a small knock from that side. Had it changed for the MOT and its all quiet now :)

Had my mot 2-3 weeks ago i would have thought that would have been picked up! the side the noise is had the gator done so they had a good nose at the cv joint to.

How easy is it to break the top mounts on a speed bump?

dippy4000

going faster
Feb 14, 2009
Kent
Yeah they did a wheel alightment, ive had it done twice, pulls to the left slighty and affects the inside on the o/s front tyre but not the other tyre.

Im gonna get the guys spraying the motor tomorrow to have a look, i'm down to 3 choices i think. bent ARB, bent wishbone or bent subframe, although im not sure of the set up if a bent subframe would affect the ARB:confused:

All i know is that whatever it is, its 65mm out and gonna cost!

Last edited:

dippy4000

going faster
Feb 14, 2009
Kent
No still there. hardly driven the car i the last 6 weeks. I got another subframe,arb and wishbones of another SCN member,as of yet to them fitted. after that i suppose its new ball joint and topmounts, though i can see it being the top mounts as theve only done 1000miles, unless there not on correct (which i doubt) or since fitting as they were done with the coilovers,there settled and they need tighting up, as they sit quite high. :shrug:

Jay Sport

No problem, its going in the shop 6th Jan.

Hey there got the same problem with mine looking forward to your response - look on the bright side your car is in a better condition every time you replace a part, i think you should print of these pages and add it to the service history !!:)

dippy4000

going faster
Feb 14, 2009
Kent
I keep all paperwork not just for the next owner but to remind me what an idiot i am to keep spending all this money on a car.:blink:

I had topmounts replaced front and rear yesterday, made no difference, though tbh i didn't expect it to.

I'm Having the the ball joints (front both sides) done this morning to see if that cures it before i have subframe etc fitting this afternoon which i have to have done anyway.

Jay Sport

I keep all paperwork not just for the next owner but to remind me what an idiot i am to keep spending all this money on a car.:blink:

I had topmounts replaced front and rear yesterday, made no difference, though tbh i didn't expect it to.

I'm Having the the ball joints (front both sides) done this morning to see if that cures it before i have subframe etc fitting this afternoon which i have to have done anyway.

how did the ball joint solution do? any good news?:think:

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
So what have you checked then?

Wheel bearings
Track rod ends
steering rack? mounted securely?
Lower balljoints
Wishbone bushes
cv joints

Bent wishbone wouldent really cause a knock, would just affect direction of travel/tyre wear, i read you also had wheel alignment done, if it was 4 wheel then it would have picked it up.

Arb maybe depending how low it is.Droplink isnt likely on the one that fixes to the wishbone as the bush would have to compleatly shot, knocking is more common on balljoint droplinks when they wear down. Have you checked obvious things, loose bolts, wheel bolts, pads are secure, caliper is secure, no play in silders?

Engine mounts? R/H l/H dogbone mount, a bolt snapped where my dogbone mount goes into the gearbox yestoday and was knocking like mad.

You fitted coilovers, are they securely fixed, into the hub and on the tourrets? Spring secure/fitted correctly?

Basically someone with an ounce of knowledge needs to look over the front suspension, could sit here all night saying this and that but without the car here, i couldent say.