Leon Models: FR, cupra, Stylance, Reference

isspro6

I posted before xmas that i was after a leon TDI FR, however im abit concerned about the DPF -Diesel Particle Filter, and people having lots of problems with it, i do alot of motor way miles BUT i can also go weeks just doing short runs to work, which is about 5-8 miles to get there. So im slightly concerned about this. Diesel is prefered and im wanting a car with 6 speed too. So im looking into different possibilities within the leon range, i love the FR Feel, the interior, steering wheel. is there anything out there thats cheaper but still has the feel of the FR? What is the difference between all the models? FR, Cupra, stylance and reference? any help would be appreciated.

Another question: Iv enquired at a garage (Arnold Clark), they have a car coming in this week, Leon TDI FR 170, 07 plate with 22000 on the clock, 18inch sports alloys, black, and the usual FR spec, hes asking £13500, is this the going price coz i think its abit expensive. Does anyone know if Arnold Clark has alot of lee-way in price or is it fixed? coz one garage i went to said their prices were fixed as you wouldnt find a cheaper car than that anywhere else. So couldnt haggle him down. Thanks to those who help me :D

SRStdi

Aug 18, 2008
Very often if a car is coming in and you are interested they wont budge on price, so your better off haggling for additional warranty, free service, cambelt 3yrs old etc, Tax

isspro6

the issue with the DPF is that if u do too little miles (short runs), the filter cloggs up which flashes a light on the dash causing problems with the filter.

I havent shown any interest in the car, i was actually thinking of waiting until it comes in and have a look at it, hopefully i get another sales rep to see if i fancy it or something...i dunno. do you know the difference between the models of the leon?

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
I assume you are looking at a Pre FL Leon so:

Reference 16" Steel wheels with Virgo design wheel covers, Air con, electric mirrors, front electric windows.

Emocian 16" Badia wheels, air con, fog lights, electric mirrors, front and rear electric windows.

Stylance has 16" Perseo wheels, fog lights, dual zone climate, heated mirrors,folding mirrors, Cruise control, multifunction computer, ESP, leather steering wheel and gear knob.

Sport has the same as Stylance but also 17" Aquila wheels, sports suspension, sports seats, manual air conditioning in lieu of climate control.

FR has the same as Stylance but also 17" Aloioth wheels, exclusive FR front and rear bumpers, FR steering wheel and gear knob, FR sports suspension, FR branded sports seats. Only available with 200ps TFSi petrol and 170PS Diesel.

Last edited:

predo

Dec 26, 2005
Edinburgh
Another question: Iv enquired at a garage (Arnold Clark), they have a car coming in this week, Leon TDI FR 170, 07 plate with 22000 on the clock, 18inch sports alloys, black, and the usual FR spec, hes asking £13500,

I think thats a lot... I bought mine petrol FR with dsg on 58 plate and with 3.8k on the clock for 14995 in September and I thought it was a good price for what was in essence almost brand new car as I was first individual owner (Seat was previous)

From Arnold Clark as well...

SeatDanny

Developing SEAT owner!
Oct 29, 2009
Northern Ireland, Belfast
U could always get the dpf delete, it removes the dpf increasing horsepower by about 20-30bhp and from what i here mileage improves too.

As for price that sounds good to me for an FR i got the 2.0L 140 BTCC Mk2 Leon for 12,000 so for ur extras thats not bad!

If ur still unsure id highly reccommend the 140 derv im driving, no dpf to worry about, comes with high spec and should you be interested a remap fits it well to get 170bhp out of her! Mileage is approx 45-50mpg!:)

Last edited:

Poverty

13500 is about cupra money at that age, but residuals on the FR dervs are good due to them being rare as fook.

Its the cupra you want though ;)

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
I paid £14k for the my FR550 which only had 3k on the clock and was an 08 plate, seems expensive mate, residuals are good though :) got offered £12,800 for it now a year later with 23k on the clock :)

Danny.

napastar

Seems expensive to me . We bought my wifes Red FR170 back in Jan 09 when it was 14 months had done 25k with Seat as the previous owner. It came with 18inch alloys, bluetooth,factory sunroof and black mirrors. It was up for £11995 but after offering £11000 we settled on £11200 desite it not being open to negotiation ( they orginally refused the £11k offer, we parted on good terms and they then called back within an hour )

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
the issue with the DPF is that if u do too little miles (short runs), the filter cloggs up which flashes a light on the dash causing problems with the filter.

Disagree. :no:

If you do short runs the filter will start to fill up, this is detected by the ECU and the engine will attempt to clear it out by going into regeneration mode, this will be noticed by a higher tickover speed and a slight rughness to the engine and poorer MPG. The ECU injects a second squirt of fuel whilst the exhaust valves are still open, this makes the DPF and exhaust temp go up and the collected soot is burnt off. You can help the regeneration by driving at a constant 2500 rpm for 10 mins or so. Obviously if you do a bit of moterway driving the DPF temp will get high enough to burn the soot away all on it's own and keep the soot level in the DPF down.

If you have a fault you can get what isspro6 said but only if you have a fault.

RTFM :yes:

kezFR07

now with ko4 power
Jun 15, 2008
yorkshire
Disagree. :no:

If you do short runs the filter will start to fill up, this is detected by the ECU and the engine will attempt to clear it out by going into regeneration mode, this will be noticed by a higher tickover speed and a slight rughness to the engine and poorer MPG. The ECU injects a second squirt of fuel whilst the exhaust valves are still open, this makes the DPF and exhaust temp go up and the collected soot is burnt off. You can help the regeneration by driving at a constant 2500 rpm for 10 mins or so. Obviously if you do a bit of moterway driving the DPF temp will get high enough to burn the soot away all on it's own and keep the soot level in the DPF down.

If you have a fault you can get what isspro6 said but only if you have a fault.

RTFM :yes:

Sounds like a lot of messing about to me!

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
The sad fact is the PD engines do soot up the DPF more than common rail but as long as the car is either given a longer run or when warmed up a little more spirited driving it should not be a problem. Overall the DPF has not proved to be a big issue across VAG only a minor issue to those that just do short and slow runs so never enough time for regeneration.

isspro6

Thank you all for your comments, you have all been a great help. What makes the cupra a better car than the FR Poverty? Just want your views on that, thats all. Cheers for the input :)

floridafil

Jun 27, 2008
North East
I may be tempting fate here but, I have an 08 FR550 with 16k miles and have never had an issue with the DPF. The light has never been on in my car.
I drive 10 miles each way to work, about half & half dual carriageway and town.

dimension_fm

I have a FR550 and i have never had the DPF light on, i drive mixed driving though but i would recomend it, some people get problems with them but its not everyone.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.