110,000 Miles in a TFSI

LotusMike

Just handed back the 55 reg TFSI Sport after completing 110,000 miles.

Having come from a MK1 Curpra I was initially slightly disappointed with the MK2 but on reflection it did something’s better and some not quite as well.
Missed some of the little things that would not have cost a lot for Seat to have added (locking gas struts and light inside the bonnet, washer liquid sensor, and light in glove box) but liked the overall design particularly when it was one of the first of the MK2 Leons in the NE.

Problems in the 4 years have included: - water in passenger foot well and mould growing on passenger “A” pillar apparently due to drain pipe problem with the optional sunroof; failed rear wheel bearing at 80K; consistently high oil consumption of approx 2 litres between services (Seat dealer said this was within tolerance); condensation in rear tailgate lights which never got cured. The oil filler cap broke off twice and the problem could be seen as the sound insulation under the bonnet was wearing where the cap is located. The tyre foam worked on the two punctures (no spare). Tyres consistently wore out first on the inside edge despite my attempts to get this cured. Been through more tyres than I can remember and two windscreens due to cracks caused by stones but still on original exhaust, clutch and battery. Front disks have been changed twice and rears once (I think). Never really averaged more than 30 mpg even with some long motorway runs but that is probably down to the driver!
At 90K things really started to get more serious. The engine management light came on and the car went into “limp home” mode with max revs of 3000. The fault was initially diagnosed as a turbo bearing problem but then the dealer changed its mind and replaced one of the injectors. All was fine for a few thousand miles but if the revs went beyond 5000 then it again went into limp home with the engine light on. Dealer diagnosis - turbo faulty (?).

As the lease company did not want to pay for the turbo to be replaced it has gone back and will presumably be in an auction over the next few days. Interestingly when the cylinder head was off for the injector replacement it was apparent where the oil had been going by the severe carbon deposits. Just goes to show that good quality petrol and oil will not help if the tolerances allow excessive amounts of oil to be burnt.
Anyone looking at a 55 plate black TFSI Sport with sunroof, CD stacker and rear parking sensors may wish to consider the above!

With all of the above what next? Audi A3? New Astra? Golf GTI? Focus ST? Nope, a face lift, white, FR TSI of course! Due to arrive in the next couple of days.

My thanks to all who contribute to this forum. It has been invaluable over the years and I will no doubt continue to be in awe at the amount of knowledge and experience out there. I hope Seat take note of the many comments posted. :)

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
Interesting about the oil consumption. My engine is currently in pieces trying to fault find bad oil consumption, probably around 4 litres between services though

Simon_Peters

2008 Leon Fr TFSI & 01 R6
Apr 11, 2007
Weston-Super-Mare
Ah so it's not just me with the bad oil consumption! I use about 3 litres between services and I was also told it's within the seat guidelines.

My old leon cupra hardly used a drop between services so I was a little surprised at how much it uses.

Cheers,
Si

Poverty

Interesting about the oil consumption. My engine is currently in pieces trying to fault find bad oil consumption, probably around 4 litres between services though

Heavy carbon deposits on the valves will lead to misfires and the inability for the car to hold at high revs.

all direct injection engines apart from the lexus ones it seems will suffer from heavy sooting/mucking up. Its not a VAG exclusive problem, bmw have been having just as many problems if not more as are other manufacturers. Its new technology and the car manufacturers were fully aware this would happen before releasing the engines, however they will try and ignore this fact if you approach them about it and obviously deny it.

Water meth kit will help keep the valves clean, only other option I can think of is a catch can, but that still wont stop all the deposits from forming, so I can only conclude that if you start getting serious problems you will have to whip off the head.

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Water meth kit will help keep the valves clean, only other option I can think of is a catch can, but that still wont stop all the deposits from forming, so I can only conclude that if you start getting serious problems you will have to whip off the head.

Something I'm considering now as I'm sure my valves are causing the problems I'm having with rough idle and slightly down on power. Having it bore scoped in the next couple of weeks to see what the state of play is.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Something I'm considering now as I'm sure my valves are causing the problems I'm having with rough idle and slightly down on power. Having it bore scoped in the next couple of weeks to see what the state of play is.

Where you getting this done, and how much is it going to cost? I have noticed my car starting to use more oil as the miles are increasing.

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Where you getting this done, and how much is it going to cost? I have noticed my car starting to use more oil as the miles are increasing.

Last car I had bore scoped was AmD back inthe days when they were in Lower Oddington, Oxfordshire (1996).

I'm going to make some calls and find someone who can do it as I don't want the head off just for an inspection if something can be done internally.

The outcome of this will determine where I go with this car in the future (e.g. keep or trade in). I have a sneaking suspicion that the exhaust valves may not be that great, and I don't fancy the snow foam treatment.

I don't think it's any accident the EA888 has been superseded quite quickly by the new exhaust cam driven lump. I wouldn't want to be owning one of these cars at 100k!

Poverty

Ok keep us updated with how you get on. Is the car still under warranty?

Poverty

Will do mate, its inside warranty window by the the skin of it's nut sack. Runs out 1st March 2010, but Audi warranty for 1 year is £689 and covers sweet FA, so likely to look use an external company for it.

alright well if they are mucked up, and you want audi to sort it this might help you.

tfsicarbonbuildup.jpg
[/IMG]

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Last car I had bore scoped was AmD back inthe days when they were in Lower Oddington, Oxfordshire (1996).

I'm going to make some calls and find someone who can do it as I don't want the head off just for an inspection if something can be done internally.

The outcome of this will determine where I go with this car in the future (e.g. keep or trade in). I have a sneaking suspicion that the exhaust valves may not be that great, and I don't fancy the snow foam treatment.

I don't think it's any accident the EA888 has been superseded quite quickly by the new exhaust cam driven lump. I wouldn't want to be owning one of these cars at 100k!

I have seen the snow foaming on another forum - is it really all that bad though?

I am really keen to see what Dan reports back with after his engines open heart surgery.

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
get water meth and it wil steam clean you r valves. and give you more power, and most importantly let me see your results before i get it myself

Al

Aug 29, 2005
get water meth and it wil steam clean you r valves. and give you more power, and most importantly let me see your results before i get it myself

:lol:

How much do these kits cost though and can they be removed with no trace?

warren_cox

Back from the dead
this is from backdraft motorsport, for the AEM water meth kit

AEM Water Meth kit: £325 + vat

De Ionised water (25 ltrs): £18 + vat

Methanol (25 ltrs): £75 + vat

Fitting: £300 + vat
Set-up: £60 + vat

more info on it in this thread
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=250265

Hmmm, it's not cheap, but then neither is periodic head rebuilds. At least I could turn the wick up a bit boostwise with this. Interesting Service Bulletin thank you Poverty.

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
Hmmm, it's not cheap, but then neither is periodic head rebuilds. At least I could turn the wick up a bit boostwise with this. Interesting Service Bulletin thank you Poverty.

its not cheap but your not just fitting it for the cleaning effect, thats just a positve by- product,

its the 15-20Hp+ power gains why i d like to fit it, and reduced detonation which is better for your engine, and the massive cooling effect it gives. DanGbs ws 20hp different and thats without any mapping changes

Think about it , to go stage 2 you pay the £50 surcharge for upgrading the map, £1000+ for the exhaust and you get arounf the same gains but none of the positve by-products.

Also better fuel economy but that will cancel out with the cost of the mixture

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
this is from backdraft motorsport, for the AEM water meth kit

AEM Water Meth kit: £325 + vat

De Ionised water (25 ltrs): £18 + vat

Methanol (25 ltrs): £75 + vat

Fitting: £300 + vat
Set-up: £60 + vat

more info on it in this thread
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=250265

you want distilled, not de-ionised. Distilled is pure so has no minerals etc in it.

Meth is alot cheaper than that. people on ebay sell it, but you have to pick it up though. Cant remember, something like £20 for 20 litres. those prices seem quite high, get a quote for jabbasport, they are the snow perforance dealers in the UK.

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
Also better fuel economy but that will cancel out with the cost of the mixture

not sure about that because the pmup is only firing when your on a decent boost level anyway. Depends how much you put your foot down really.

The more HP you have to start with, the bigger the gains are. o a big turbo car will benefit more from W/M.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members