Electrical Dilemma

Sutts150177

Hi, can anyone help please?

Recently taken my 2004 Leon 20VT Cupra to garage to have a threaded wheel nut removed and when i got it back the driver side door light, the alarm that goes off when you leave lights on wasn't working and more bizzarly the central locking seems to playing up a bit

After unlocking the car and opening the door the Central locking locks again automatically if i don't put keys in ignition quick enough. Basically the same as unlocking the car via remote but not opening the door....when the car locks itself again for security. I have never experienced this before.

I have contacted the garage and guess what the guy takes no responsibility for this and doesn't believe anything he had done could cause these faults.

Is anyone familiar with these symtoms....

could it be a fuse....
would the bulb going in the door cause the other 2 problems....
could something happen to the wiring due to the vibrations caused by the mechanic hammering the wheel......
the guy also read an engine management code and reset......could this be responsible in any way if for example he chose the wrong engine number....

Cheers

andycupra

status subject to change
sounds like the door lock micro switch has gone. Fairly common i believe. Expensive to replace, or cheap if you can do it diy.

This would explain why the lights dont come on when you open the door, (as the micro switch has failed and so the car doesnt know the door is open!).

The reason the central locking locks itself if you dont start the car quickly, is due to the same fault.

If you unlock the car, but dont open any doors, (so you may have hit unlock accidentally) the car will lock itself after a short time. If as above the micro switch has gone, then again it doesnt know the door has been opened and so it locks using this feature. So the central locking playing up is a bit of a red herring.

resetting a fautl code shoud have nothing to do with it. Resetting a fault code does not require an engine code or anything. Its a very simply task and easy to do.
Banging away on the wheel may have agrivated the micor switch i guess. But i cant honestly see anyway it would be his fault.

hope you get it sorted

Last edited:

Sutts150177

Sounds like a be....atch of coincidence then.

AndyCupra,
Thats excellent information though so thanks alot and it makes purfect sense even to someone with aslittle mechanical knowledge as me.

Lodgey180
My reg is HF53 NWV and thanks for checking. May have to live with it for now though due to lack of funds and the mighty credit crunch. It does seem too bad just a slight irritation.

Cheers

NJG

Black Magic
Apr 13, 2003
Devon
Visit site
Don't do what I did, and unlock the car, put the key in the ignition, (without turning it) and close the door whilst stood outside to let a passing car go by, onlt to have the car lock itself and trigger the alarm because it didn't realise the door had opened in the first place!!!

Same problem you have, with the microswitch faulty.

(Had to drive 30 miles home in another car to fetch the spare key!)

Well, I can laugh now he he..

Sutts150177

Don't do what I did, and unlock the car, put the key in the ignition, (without turning it) and close the door whilst stood outside to let a passing car go by, onlt to have the car lock itself and trigger the alarm because it didn't realise the door had opened in the first place!!!

Same problem you have, with the microswitch faulty.

(Had to drive 30 miles home in another car to fetch the spare key!)

Well, I can laugh now he he..

Good advice i will certainly be careful until i can fix. Thanks alot

Sutts150177

no problem buddy..
3B2837016T retails at 85.18 +vat
dont know where your located but we have one in stock if your near teesside. i can do it for 72.40 +vat

I will keep you in mind for the New Year but not enough funds for now, but thanks

I'm pretty much as far away as possible UK wise.....down in South devon ;o)

hotdoggy79

sounds like i have the same problem as this... although last night while randomly seaching ebay i stumbled upon said micro switch priced at a very reasonable £7.99 so for all you diy'ers out there there may be a little light at the end of the tunnel.
I'll let you all know how i get on when i do mine :)

hotdoggy79

i did try to post the link on here but it wouldn't let me being a newbie and all.
Here's what to do. Go into ebay and where the search bar is it say's advance search. click that. On the next screen on the left hand side the top box says items. click on by seller.
in the sellers id put type "vagparts24" (without the quotation marks)
and that should do it. these micro switchs are all they seem to have for sale. Good luck.

Jan 22, 2007
some may say lala land....
good find hotdoggy.

confirm they are going for that price of 7.99.
no part number in description, but details say....
Well known problems with Golf, Bora, Passat etc:

The car unlocks automatically right after locking
The light alarm buzzer doesn't work as usual
The interior lamps and door lights don't work anymore, even though the doors are open
The car automatically locks after a while when unlocked, even with the doors open
These problems are generally caused by a defective micro switch in the door lock. Unfortunately you can't buy the single micro switch from VW and would have to get the whole lock changed to fix these faults.

Instead of paying out the cost of an entire new lock (around £130) it's advisable to just try swapping the defective switch.

This offer contains a new micro switch suitable for the following cars:

VW: Passat, Sharan, Golf IV, Bora, Polo, Lupo, Beetle, T4 - all models (year of construction 10/1996 - 09/2005)
AUDI A2 - A6 - all models, TT (year of construction 10/1996 - 09/2005)
Seat: Toledo, Leon, Oktavia, Cordoba, Ibiza, Alhambra - all models (year of construction 10/1996 - 09/2005)
Skoda: Oktavia, Superb, Fabia - all models (year of construction 10/1996 - 09/2005)
Ford: Galaxy (year of construction 10/1996 - 09/2004)

A link to mounting guidelines with the example of a Golf IV or Bora will be sent to you via Email to keep the costs of postage as low as possible.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.