sound system

scottthurlow

scott
Jan 12, 2010
birmingham
ive had a read threw a few threads but am still not sure... so here goes.

i have got a headunit, pair of front comps, 2 12" subs and 2 amps to run subs and comps. how do i go about wiring it all in as the trip computer does not have the capability?

i would like to use my eadunit if poosibble too!

any ideas or someone who could help me fit it all!

Mar 3, 2009
Hinckley
trip computer?
if you use your oem unit you'll lose the rear speakers as you would have to use a line output converter (LOC) to create a pre-out from the headunit unless one amp is 4 channel so you can power both the front and rear speakers off it then you can use a LOC for front and rear,front for all speakers and rear for subs

scottthurlow

scott
Jan 12, 2010
birmingham
ye that wat i ment, the original one lol.

is there no way of me been able to use my headunit then???

that sorta made sense to me, i think id need some help with that bit tbh

Mar 3, 2009
Hinckley
yes you can if you do it how ive mentioned
LOC to front channels,then Y phono splitters to allow 2 sets of pre-outs so these can go to 1 amp so you have channels 1,2,3 and 4 all working
then the rear channels on the headunit another LOC to phono to the second amp for the sub then wire them to that

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Only the standard head unit can drive external components such as your trip computer. It might be possible to find a Kenwood or Pioneer unit that can manage it, but it's unlikely. As mt audio says, you can't have both. Although thinking about it, I suppose you could install your new head unit below the existing one, if you have room. Might look a bit silly though, having two head units!

Personally I think the SEAT head units are actually quite nice, a good quality sound with a fair bit of punch if you like it loud. Drive the components from the HU front speaker connections, with a convertor for the rear as recommended. To keep the rear speakers running you will have to feed them from the amp alongside the subs, but make sure the amp can drive the speakers. If in doubt, just drive the subs on their own and don't have any mid or treble coming from the back.

My HU has actually got a line out, so you might be lucky and have the same. But I'm guessing mt audio knows more about your specific head unit than I do.

cookie1978

Jun 17, 2009
huddersfield
Id say take it to a shop if u dont know what your doing. Its obvious u havnt read any info and then expect people to help you. Maybe if you didnt type in text talk most people would understand the question u were asking.

Mar 3, 2009
Hinckley
Only the standard head unit can drive external components such as your trip computer. It might be possible to find a Kenwood or Pioneer unit that can manage it, but it's unlikely. As mt audio says, you can't have both. Although thinking about it, I suppose you could install your new head unit below the existing one, if you have room. Might look a bit silly though, having two head units!

it can be done but it really isnt worth it, youd need to have a system like most audio stores do that allows function switch from one radio to another (the computer boards to make this happen are approx £300 from unicam or the likes of) or the resistance would be so out itd fry the onboard amps within minutes.

as said above i would suggest taking it to a shop as you havent given any info that has helped us get far with you such as car,etc so i doubt youll get far with building a competant (and reliable) system

scottthurlow

scott
Jan 12, 2010
birmingham
Id say take it to a shop if u dont know what your doing. Its obvious u havnt read any info and then expect people to help you. Maybe if you didnt type in text talk most people would understand the question u were asking.

i have done about 10 installs myself, im only questioning the headunit situation, if someone could put up a link to a useful thread that would be much appreciated. the ony one ive seen is the amped.
i have looked on here as to where i thought id need to look and not had any luck.
if you dont have anything helpful to say id rather u didnt say anything at all

scottthurlow

scott
Jan 12, 2010
birmingham
it can be done but it really isnt worth it, youd need to have a system like most audio stores do that allows function switch from one radio to another (the computer boards to make this happen are approx £300 from unicam or the likes of) or the resistance would be so out itd fry the onboard amps within minutes.

as said above i would suggest taking it to a shop as you havent given any info that has helped us get far with you such as car,etc so i doubt youll get far with building a competant (and reliable) system

its an x reg mk3 ibiza cupra.

as asked before mate is there other stuff ud recommend uprating like alternater and earths etc.
all i wanted to know is whether i could use an aftermarket hu with preouts already which now i no isnt the best option so thats fine.
the other question which has been answered was how to wire up to the original hu, although its been answered im still unsure into the technical terms, so if you could "dumb" it down abit that would be great

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
its an x reg mk3 ibiza cupra.

as asked before mate is there other stuff ud recommend uprating like alternater and earths etc.
all i wanted to know is whether i could use an aftermarket hu with preouts already which now i no isnt the best option so thats fine.
the other question which has been answered was how to wire up to the original hu, although its been answered im still unsure into the technical terms, so if you could "dumb" it down abit that would be great

No worries, I think it's because text isn't the best way of describing something. Have a look at this;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350236052565

(That's not a recommendation by the way, just an Ebay item with a decent picture!)

On the left of the unit are two pairs of grey and white wires. These connect to the rear outputs from the head unit. Simply cut the wires that come from the head unit, and attach them to these wires (crimp or solder depending on your preference). Once thats done, you then have two phono connectors to connect your leads to the amp.

Does the picture make it a bit more clearer? :)

Don't bother with uprating the alternator etc, just don't turn it up too loud! You might do well to clean up the earths, and give the battery terminals a good scrub grease.

scottthurlow

scott
Jan 12, 2010
birmingham
No worries, I think it's because text isn't the best way of describing something. Have a look at this;

(That's not a recommendation by the way, just an Ebay item with a decent picture!)

On the left of the unit are two pairs of grey and white wires. These connect to the rear outputs from the head unit. Simply cut the wires that come from the head unit, and attach them to these wires (crimp or solder depending on your preference). Once thats done, you then have two phono connectors to connect your leads to the amp.

Does the picture make it a bit more clearer? :)

Don't bother with uprating the alternator etc, just don't turn it up too loud! You might do well to clean up the earths, and give the battery terminals a good scrub grease.

so if i want to run 1 amp to run subs and one amp for components how many of those blocks would i need.
sorry once i get it ill get it but its takin me a while to grasp this lol.
if i have this right would i need 1 loc for front output and one for rear?
is there anyway of still having rear speakers, i have a 4 channel amp so could i use the rca from front output into the amp and run 2 sets of speakers?
and then use a loc for rear output into amp for the subs?
have i got that right?

once if got all that sorta then ill look at uprating stuff

i dnt want to not turn it up loud lol

Mar 3, 2009
Hinckley
yes thats right but youll find you wont get fade from front to rear if there are any songs you listen to that would do nor will you be able to fade front to rear

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members