scratched by neighbours cat

Stevie_W

Since just before christmas my neighbours cat has decided that it wants to keep itself warm by sitting on my bonnet when I get in from work and as a consequence it has become scratched reasonably badly. When I bought the car it had just been detailed by jonjay, so was in mint condition. Now I will accpent that stone chips are inevitable over the winter and being honest I was planning on getting the car worked on again at some point in the spring. However the damage which I'm pretty certain has been caused by the cat has gone down to the metal, there are 3 small pieces of metal showing. This means that I'm probably going to have to get the bonnet resprayed to prevent rust.
I know that cats ae different to dogs and cant really be controlled, however I believe that the owner should take some responsibility and donate some cash towards the corrective work which needs doing. I am also faced with having to buy a car cover after the work has been carried out to ensure that more damage is prevented.
How do you think I should bring it up with the neighbour, and how do you think you would react if approached about this by your neighbour?
I posted this in this section as I think you guys will understand where I am coming from most

hoggy90

Full time sexaholic
Nov 14, 2009
Scotland
tbf mate your completely right...but....if someone came up to me and said my cat had caused deep scratches on your bonnet and you wanted compensation i'd say im sorry but i wouldnt pay anything...as cats wander about and as you said cannot be controlled.

just my opinion

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
tbf mate your completely right...but....if someone came up to me and said my cat had caused deep scratches on your bonnet and you wanted compensation i'd say im sorry but i wouldnt pay anything...as cats wander about and as you said cannot be controlled.

just my opinion

I don't think I would get words out for my laughing.

That or I would offer to have stern words with my cat.

I think you should become less attached to your car, or accept that cats claws won't go through the metal & that it's something else.

Mary Hinge

Just approach your neighbour ask how much cash they've got in the house, come to an agreement, if they don't play ball, poison the cat. If they can't control their cat and it's on your property it's tough for the cat.
Any cat on my land gets a boot up the backside and all my neighbours know it hence they don't let them out after dark. ....Oh and if anyone laughed after I politely pointed out their cat had damaged my property they'd be gargling their teeth.

HotHatchSteve

Jul 6, 2009
I agree, cats are a pain and a nuisance, plus most owners dont give a monkeys what their cat does when out.

Your best bet would be to get a Ultra Sonic Cat Repeller, they do work and cats usally hate them. For any cat lovers reading they dont harm the cat either.

seat_rich

Five atoms
Jul 29, 2009
Just approach your neighbour ask how much cash they've got in the house, come to an agreement, if they don't play ball, poison the cat. If they can't control their cat and it's on your property it's tough for the cat.
Any cat on my land gets a boot up the backside and all my neighbours know it hence they don't let them out after dark. ....Oh and if anyone laughed after I politely pointed out their cat had damaged my property they'd be gargling their teeth.

'mature'

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
same happened to my moms car, as we have like a roofed part of the house where she parks, and the neighbours cat had scratched the bonnet, i went over asked politely, she told me not her fault, so i spoke to police just to see what i can do, and they said if it is her cat then it is her fault, so got this in writing, and she paid up, i told her no hard feelings, but if it was vice versa then i'd have to pay, now she clips the cats nails, and we got bonnet fixed, but not every neighbour is nice!

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
What i will say is invest in a good car cover. Good ones range from £150-400 depending on where you get it from. Dont get the cheap halfords ones as they can cause all sorts of damage to the paint.

beezertart

**MAYHEM**
Sep 11, 2007
beyond the sun
Get a kids squirty water gun, fill it with washing up liquid and water and give it a blast when it sits on it next?

Think that would cause the cat to panic and run thus causing more damage in a bid to grip and get away. i have the same trouble with dents in my bonnet from next dorrs portly moggy but can't really do sod all :(

so you only give em a kicking after dark,gutless springs to mind and i think you'd be the one gargling your teeth if you did it to one of mine:censored:

hoggy90

Full time sexaholic
Nov 14, 2009
Scotland
lol put bottles of water round your car after you park up?haha or just rent a poodle to stand guard.....better than your 'asking your neighbours for compensation' idea anyway lol :lol:

seat_rich

Five atoms
Jul 29, 2009
Cats allegedly aren't fans of citrus fragrances, so how about changing to a lemon-ey wax?

Mary Hinge

Think that would cause the cat to panic and run thus causing more damage in a bid to grip and get away. i have the same trouble with dents in my bonnet from next dorrs portly moggy but can't really do sod all :(

so you only give em a kicking after dark,gutless springs to mind and i think you'd be the one gargling your teeth if you did it to one of mine:censored:

What is it with cat owners and their 'holier than thou' attitude. Your animals are a menace and you can't fob people off by saying 'Oh I just can't control it, it's wild'...blah blah blah

It's YOUR cat and YOUR responsibility, if I take a chisel to your bonnet I'll just say I couldn't control the chisel...Sorry.

For your info I'll happily boot your cat up the arse in the daylight. Can I suggest a more humane approach, get the neighbours cat in the back of your car, drive 15 miles to a nice hilly area and drop the cat off there. It'll be ok, it's wild, it wanders and does it's own thing.

beezertart

**MAYHEM**
Sep 11, 2007
beyond the sun
What is it with cat owners and their 'holier than thou' attitude. Your animals are a menace and you can't fob people off by saying 'Oh I just can't control it, it's wild'...blah blah blah

It's YOUR cat and YOUR responsibility, if I take a chisel to your bonnet I'll just say I couldn't control the chisel...Sorry.

For your info I'll happily boot your cat up the arse in the daylight. Can I suggest a more humane approach, get the neighbours cat in the back of your car, drive 15 miles to a nice hilly area and drop the cat off there. It'll be ok, it's wild, it wanders and does it's own thing.

did i say that i don't accept responsibility for my animals, you know feck all about me and it was more your attitude of being totally happy to hurt someones pet that riled me. seems you're more of a menace than any animal if you'll go round randomly abusing something because you can. cats aren't wild but they aren't classed as possessions in the same way dogs are so unfortunately you cannot pursue for anything but lets face it the chances of a cat doing massive damage to anything is minimal. comparisons between that and you wielding a chisel are hardly relevant are they[:@]:ban:

brad1

If you was my next door neighbour, and attempted to do anything to my cat, you would get a fist straight from me in the face, and ofcourse a good beating!! No second thoughts, this would only happen if you was male ofcourse. Stop bitching about a cat, and get a car cover as jonjay pointed out. If your not going to get one, stop moaning as you clearly cant be bothered to do anything about it. Get on with it. My cat sits on my mums car, you dont see her moaning about it on here [:@]
Just thought id say my piece ;)

si-mate

Jai Ho or Jay Ho?
May 31, 2004
Kunt Centryside
Doesn't seem right to me that someone else's animal has the freedom to wander where it likes and it's the car owners responsibility to protect their car from damage :shrug:

And I think anyone whose ever been scratched by a cat will agree that cats claws have the potential to damage paintwork.

beezertart

**MAYHEM**
Sep 11, 2007
beyond the sun
claws do have the potential to damage paintwork,yep but the issue is you can't prevent a cat from climbing onto a warm car unless you catch it in the act! maybe if the cats insured you could try claiming through the 3rd party liability section in the policy if you could get the woners to co-operate but i doubt that'd work...tis just one of those things i think and whilst it's annoying for car owners to bear the brunt of covering car,costs etc the chances of it being damaged by a cat are a lot less than by a local chav and they don't accept responsibilty that's for certain!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members