My V5's torquing to me again...

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
...because I was one of the zillions who have had MAF failure and it's just been replaced. The car was sooooo torquey on the way back home and the kick is back in the acceleration. Woohoo!!

Performance had been deteriorating for ages and went in months ago for diagnostics but nothing showed. I did suggest MAF to them but when they disconnected it it still seemed sluggish. Finally my fuel filter got a leak and I put it down to that (apparantly that is fairly common too). So, after fuel filter change and full service with it still hesitating they called SEAT technical and they advised putting on new MAF (4 months later than I first mentioned it!) . Bingo - it worked!! At least if it goes again it's got 2 years warranty. All credit to them for getting my car back to me same day as part had to be ordered in. They did bust my electric mirror switch somehow but they're sorting it FOC.

Although I had not been happy with the performance for a while I had really not appreciated just how much deterioration there had been. The glorious V5 sound is back too. May not be on here much the next few days...

Timmyboy

Former Cupra Owner
Aug 27, 2005
Bristol
GrayT said:
...because I was one of the zillions...

Me too :)

Quite funny really because the performnace loss is progressive, the first couple of months you wonder if your mind is playing tricks on you.

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
Be interesting to find out what proportion of V5 owners have had a MAF failure at some point (seems like most!). Thank goodness the part doesn't cost £300+ like I heard it used to until they realised they had to reduce price because it was such a common failure.

MarkQuinton

Sep 22, 2004
I had maf failure but instead of replacing it at a seat garage i ordered one from www.vagcomponents.co.uk, it seemed to sort the problem but I've never recovered the performance I used to have, i don't get the growl anymore and its slow at pulling away. My car has done 158k and I'm undecided whether its worth spending money on a good service and possibly change the maf again. Don't wanna throw money down the drain.

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
MarkQuinton said:
I had maf failure but instead of replacing it at a seat garage i ordered one from www.vagcomponents.co.uk, it seemed to sort the problem but I've never recovered the performance I used to have, i don't get the growl anymore and its slow at pulling away. My car has done 158k and I'm undecided whether its worth spending money on a good service and possibly change the maf again. Don't wanna throw money down the drain.

That's interesting. Dig out your invoice and check your parts number. I found the exact same part on that site was £20.00 more expensive than the VW sourced part that the SEAT dealer got in for me! There was just an extra 'X' on the end of my part number.

Vagcomponents.co.uk 071906461A - Airmass Meter £95.00 (not inc. VAT)
SEAT dealer VW part 071906461AX - Mass airflow Meter £75.10 (not inc. VAT)

As I say, dealers have had to reduce the cost of the part considerably over the years because it fails so friggin' often (mine failed at 56K by the way). I'm not really complaining that for a tank and a half of petrol I have a part with 2 years warranty and a perfectly running motor now. Yours is quite high mileage now, but I would have thought for a tank and a half of fuel it's worth a punt.

MarkQuinton

Sep 22, 2004
Thanks for that. Yeah I guess even if I do get another and it makes no difference then I'll know its not the maf thats at fault and I can always sell the new one, i'm sure someone will need it at some point.

Thanks

Mark

a1.gaz

My V5 has 110,000 on in which time I have replaced the MAF 3 times :(

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I bought my car with a pack full of service and parts receipts, in there was one for a MAF sensor. I don't know how long ago it was replaced, but it has been done.

NickD75

Is it worth it as a 'just in case' replacement? I haven't had my Toledo long so wouldn't know if there has a been a decrease in performance.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I'd have a look at VAG-COM first, see if there are any fault codes referring to fuel mixture etc. They're still around £60 to replace, which I wouldn't consider a 'just in case' replacement.

I'm going to be swapping my mates one out tomorrow, we didn't know there was a problem until we found some fault codes in there. Clearing the fault codes caused the biggest headache, with the fuel trims reset to zero the car just did not like running. He said that it took a few miles to get it happy again, I'm guessing it was the amount of time it takes for the fault codes to reassert themselves.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.