Clutch Slip after remap

Mtech_69

Ive got a 2005 leon FR which has just been remapped by AMD, it has only covered 25K miles but after having it remapped the clutch is now starting to slip. Is the standard clutch capable of handling the additional torque or do i need to uprate the clutch??
Does the 180bhp cupra have the same clutch as a 225 cupra r? if so will this fit ?

Deleted member 20376

my friend had his mk2 fr mapped and he had a lot of slip, the clutch couldnt handle the torque.
think ive had it once in my lcr but that was in 6th doing about 50mph.

Mtech_69

The slip is only intermitant at the moment, it only slips in 3rd and 4th at about 3k revs. Did you mate upgrade the clutch? if so what clutch did he get?

Deleted member 20376

he didnt upgrade it, it just learnt when to floor it, i think he cracked the head on it after a while, it wasnt that old still in warrenty too, he had blew a few cars up in his time though lol.
best to ask amd or awesome gti what they would suggest.

Jul 12, 2009
London
www.flickr.com
Different car, however after I re-mapped my ibiza it was fine, then about 2 months in, and it slipped. However this was only at low revs.

I have now worked out when it is best to boot it (eg after 2k minimum) and it has been fine for teh past 3 months. I know that the clutch in the Ibiza is rated to 300lbs/ft. If you upgarde, you'd probably be looking at a sachs clutch, which all in, is around £800 fitted!!

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
My LCR had a few slips after it was remapped, i changed my driving style to compensate and the OEM clutch has now covered 15k,(touch wood) it only really slipped when i was in a high gear at low speed/rpm and put the foot to the floor.

daboy3000

No Longer a Seat owner
Jul 2, 2008
Oxted
I've been having this problem too, seems to be only when the weather is cold and in the mornings, its the torque that does it. looking for a soloution that doesn't cost a grand!!!

BoomhaueR

Wanna go fasterrrR
Oct 9, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Have a search, there are many threads on this.

If you don't want to go aftermarket I would go for the Audi TT quattro clutch cover and centre plate: £90ish each + vat approx, and OE LCR dual mass flywheel. I think Badger Bill has used it on a hybrid LCR and still going strong.

phizzandlil

Divers go deeper!
Feb 22, 2009
Nr Gatwick
Not sure if this is true but I'd heard that just the friction plate is required not a complete clutch upgrade, anyone know if this is right?

Mtech_69

This might be a stupid question but will a standard LCR clutch fit in the FR and if so this should be able to handle the increase in torque????

Bobby.Gee

Leon Cupra R 210
Jan 2, 2010
my point is upgrade the clutch to cope with the torque.

If you cant afford to do so reduce the torque.

I personally would never reduce the torque i would upgrade the rest of the car to cope with it.

It was tongue in cheek mate to be honest.

Idiot.

k_pt

who did the map should limit the torque so that wouldn't happen ...

andycupra

status subject to change
my point exactly.

there is a possibility the clutch is not typical.. but at the end of the day a dealer should not be providing a map sold as for a stock car that then cant handle the remap.
Is an uprated clutch a stated requirement for the remap? i think not.
Therefore the map should be adjusted to suit the stock clutch.

However as ive said it be that there is an issue with the individual clutch in question.

Jun 26, 2008
Just round the corner.
Ive got a 2005 leon FR which has just been remapped by AMD, it has only covered 25K miles but after having it remapped the clutch is now starting to slip. Is the standard clutch capable of handling the additional torque or do i need to uprate the clutch??
Does the 180bhp cupra have the same clutch as a 225 cupra r? if so will this fit ?

Clutch is the same in both mate. I replaced my clutch / dual mass before my remap.
But it had done 86k anyway.

What stage remap have you had, I presume a stage 1.
Mine has had a CC stage 1. she's got around 236lb torque. Standard clutch should be fine to about 300lb (probably wrong).

Might be worth checking the dual mass, my neighbour's LCR had cover around 36k and the dual mass was on it's way out.

Most motor factors will only sell the clutch and dual mass as a pair.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.