Some PD160 advice please guys...

FR8ZER

PD150 FR+
Feb 8, 2010
East Ayrshire
So I'm due to commence ownership with my first VAG.

07 Cupra Ibiza PD160.

I always tell myself, keep the car standard and modify later, but I tend to correct all the things that I believe should have came standard :)

Basically I'd like your input on the essential mods for a nice PD160.

I'm thinking;
-Celtic Tuning's, Emotion remaps
-15 / 20mm rear spacers?
-some tints
-H.I.D's H7R i beleive?

Is this the right sort of start? I like the noise from the Mufflerectomy thing but I cant help but think the car has to be loosing power or somthing.

Thanks in advance,
Frazer

LoDa

Oct 12, 2008
Southampton
Essential mods of the Mk4 Ibiza would be (in my suggested order...)

Rear ARB
20mm spacers (on rear wheels)
Strut brace (front upper)
Suspension: lowering springs + dampers or coilovers
HIDs
Exhaust (go for a full system, so that....)
Stage 2 Remap (with a full exhaust system fitted already!)

If he is getting a Stage 2 remap he will definateley need a better clutch. Stage 1 is somtimes enough to burn the clutch on PD160, at least in my experience

Rhys_

Mar 29, 2009
Cardiff, South Wales
I dont have a 160 mine is the FR130, but my first money lot was turbo back de cat exhaust followed shortly by a custom remap and panal filter with both fron and rear ARB. Having both the front and rear ARB's sorted the handling out nicely whilst it was still on standard suspention, left me time then to save for the coilovers then.

FR8ZER

PD150 FR+
Feb 8, 2010
East Ayrshire
thanks for all the input so far chaps.

I have never touched the suspension in any of my motors, so its a complete new area to myself...always why I've tweaked other things first, due to my lack of knowledge in the are.

The clutch..we'll its a weak point in any turbo deisel it seems. I think I'll avoid jumping straight in to a Stage 2 anyway. Will wait until I have an exhaust change etc and the standard clutch is slipping badly, to justify the whole upgrade.

Few more questions now :p being the suspension noob i am, front ARB, this the one that goes under the bonnet over the tops of the suspension mounts? Rear ARB, is this an upgrade to somthing under the car, or does it cut through the bootspace?

Rhys, I'm guessing your system is a complete de-cat from the turbo back, leading to a backbox? or is there a midbox in there aswell, How does it sound ? :)

Cheers again Frazer

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
A front arb is between the bottom of the cars suspension at the front, a strut brace goes between the top of the suspension struts.

Rear ARB is along the beam and is an easy bolt on application. Whiteline adjustable rear ARB is a popular one to get with the Mk4 Ibiza boys (and girls)!

rossco22

If you were interested i would possibly have a deal with you on my full spax suspension kit in exchange for your standard stuff as im not looking to modify my car an would like to put it back to standard...Let me know if that of interest cheers.....

rossco22

rossco cant quite PM you to tak things over until you have 15 posts, depending on ur location etc, I mite be interested.

Hi Frazer , im in Aylesbury bucks were abouts are you? if you were intrested but distance was an issue they could always be removed from the cars packed up an sent.. My email is [email protected] Cheers....

olliep

Wants a mk2 GTI
Oct 3, 2005
Winchester
does the beeza cupra have a lower front strut brace as standard? saw the omp one for about £50 and when i was in leon land poeple used to swear by lower front braces. also... mine rolls like a boat... is the rear ARB a MASSIVE gain with no draw backs??

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
So I'm due to commence ownership with my first VAG.

07 Cupra Ibiza PD160.

I always tell myself, keep the car standard and modify later, but I tend to correct all the things that I believe should have came standard :)

Basically I'd like your input on the essential mods for a nice PD160.

I'm thinking;
-Celtic Tuning's, Emotion remaps
-15 / 20mm rear spacers?
-some tints
-H.I.D's H7R i beleive?

Is this the right sort of start? I like the noise from the Mufflerectomy thing but I cant help but think the car has to be loosing power or somthing.

Thanks in advance,
Frazer

Personal experience tells me breathing modifications first.
Full custom stainless exhaust system, Decatted with turbo downpipe!
Theres a custom exhaust fitter in Cardiff who I and my other car club can't recommend enough (Prospeed Exhausts)

That will allow the car to expel gasses quicker and as such the car will rev alot free'er

At the same time replace either your current filter with a green cotton one, or buy a halfords cheapy cone filter. Both are very good.

At this point I'd go for a stage 2 map (Not sure if you can off the bat with all that torque) however I'm sure another cupra owner will be along in a minute to let you know.
Anyhow

Then move onto, Spacers, Anti Roll Bar etc, you'll really appreciate them at this time.

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
does the beeza cupra have a lower front strut brace as standard? saw the omp one for about £50 and when i was in leon land poeple used to swear by lower front braces. also... mine rolls like a boat... is the rear ARB a MASSIVE gain with no draw backs??

I'm interested in the arbs myself, can anyone recomend a decent make, with prices please :rolleyes:

No, the Ibiza doesn't come with a front lower strut brace... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OMP-Front-Low...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item5ad6b46f1c It requires some trimming of the undertray insulating material for it to fit but I think its a fairly easy 30mins job (if you can get the car on a ramp.)

It does have a front ARB as standard but... it can be uprated for a thicker one! (see link below)

Rear ARB is one of the best handling mods I have done to mine and it has no adverse effects really (a little bit of lift-off oversteer maybe on wet roundabouts though). It stiffens the rear up loads and coupled with 20mm rear spacers stops the wallowing boat-like cornering. The Whiteline adjustable RARB is very popular and the best value but there are others available like the Jabba one favoured by the Skoda Fabia boys!

http://www.dpmperformance.co.uk/ibi...4.html?zenid=6eef7fc3f68d54049ff7d0be65ce26a6
http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pa...sub.mhtml?car=seatibiza;category=antirollbars

FR8ZER

PD150 FR+
Feb 8, 2010
East Ayrshire
thanks for all the input and speedy replies from everyone so far :)

Can see me hanging around for a while. Thanks for the exhaust company recomendation, Its a rather long treck, but luckily I have a company i swear by aswell. Meercat Exhausts of Kilbirnie.

So far i'm going:

H.I.D's - to let me see
Exhaust and filter - to let it breathe
Remap - Guessing it be best to go custom, to get the best out of the previous mods. probably try and keep my torque at the 300ish ft/lb to not go overboard on a standard clutch etc, get the most out of it.
Spacers - anytime i find half decent ones, not too sure on my abillities on cutting my bolts :blink:
Arbs - to sort out the handling, cant see me getting to excited on the coilover route, but never say never kind of thing :p

FR8ZER

PD150 FR+
Feb 8, 2010
East Ayrshire
You don't need to cut your bolts on spacers :)
Get hubcentric ones, They bolt to the hub, and then you bolt the wheels to those.

After searching through post after post on hubcentric 20mm spacers, i was still under the impression my standard bolts would be too long, once there through the alloy, to tighten into 20mm of threads.

Can you recomend or link me to set i wont need to cut or buy different bolts please. guessing ur running 20mm spacers on yours? :)