bad news

Jan 28, 2009
Glasgow
Ok so driving today when all of a sudden I lost power and white smoke out exhaust, at first it was light I though maybe a boost pipe but after pulling over and inspecting everything seemed to be fine. Then as the exhaust got warmer the smoke started to cover the roads! Not had a proper look at it but will do in a few hours...I think my turbo's gone but I’ve only had it (hybrid) for a few months! Any ideas??

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
usually if not enough air is getting through then combustion won't happen as efficiently, therefore by flooring it loads of fuel would pass as unburnt and should come out black...is this wrong, or is it only black with soot and burning oil where unburnt fuel is coming out as a white gas?

Jan 28, 2009
Glasgow
my turbo has gone:(, the shaft (turbine blade) has excessive play and basically what is happening is that because its not sitting central it is not spinning and letting oil through the seals which then burns off as white smoke.
white/blue smoke normally means blown turbo or water problem (head gasket or something)
black smoke is a boost pipe.
will put more info up soon

nikstar

Feb 16, 2008
When my turbo went it was white smoke, couldnt see anything out the rear view mirror!

Nightscape

the OP already has a few months back lol

Ooo thats not so good, maybe the remap was pushing it too hard. Too much boost, and they go through seals. Could be a case of a dodgy build though. Know some people who have had bad experience with "hybrid builders". :think:

borderboy

Sep 5, 2009
Gretna Green
Iv just got mine back today......700 quid short - the sooner it gets sold the better.

sorry to hear this ! considering you have just replaced your turbo !
:(

Deleted member 13581

Bad news. Nothing worse than it going wrong when you have changed it.

Hope it gets fixed soon.

Jan 28, 2009
Glasgow
Ooo thats not so good, maybe the remap was pushing it too hard. Too much boost, and they go through seals. Could be a case of a dodgy build though. Know some people who have had bad experience with "hybrid builders". :think:

the funny thing is that my car was not yet mapped for hybrid as i was waiting for the weather to cheer up!i spoke to the builders wh were stunned as this is very rare to happen after just a few months and are happy to replace it :D

Iv just got mine back today......700 quid short - the sooner it gets sold the better.

you mean your not putting it on?

sorry to hear this ! considering you have just replaced your turbo !
:(

i know, its only been a few months and i never even had it mapped for the hybrid!

Bad news. Nothing worse than it going wrong when you have changed it.

Hope it gets fixed soon.

cheers mate, should have it all fied up and back on the road within 2 weeks, i'm going to start taking the turbo off today and finish it 2mrw then have it sent away for monday. the guys normally get it back to me within a week!

Aug 19, 2007
East Yorkshire
the funny thing is that my car was not yet mapped for hybrid as i was waiting for the weather to cheer up!i spoke to the builders wh were stunned as this is very rare to happen after just a few months and are happy to replace it :D

i know, its only been a few months and i never even had it mapped for the hybrid!

cheers mate, should have it all fied up and back on the road within 2 weeks, i'm going to start taking the turbo off today and finish it 2mrw then have it sent away for monday. the guys normally get it back to me within a week!

I'd say thats your answer right there matey. Not advised to drive the car for a long period without being mapped to suit the turbo on there.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.