What is the MPG on a 1.8T Leon Cupra R?

chris2401

Oct 30, 2009
Hi Guys.

I am presently saving up for a black Seat Leon MK 1 Cupra R. I was originally going to get a Leon TDI FR with cupra bodykit but because I have stopped doing alot of motorway driving anymore I have changed my thoughts back to getting a Cupra R. Plus I would miss the nice sound of the petrol and I really like the Cupra R interior unlike the TDI FR.

Could you please tell me how come there are two makes of Cupra R's one with 210 BHP and one with 225BHP? :confused: Had one come out in 2003 and one in 2005?

Also could you tell me how much MPG you would get from a 1.8T Cupra R on urban and on Combined please, just so I get a rough idea on the fuel economy really.

Your help would be much appreciated. :D

Regards

Chris :D

andycupra

status subject to change
the original cupra R in 2003 had 210 bhp as standard. (engine code AMK)
Then there was a relatively small update to the cupra R and this inlcuded a 225 engine. Although some say this is actually 222 as the 225 refers to a slightly different version or measurment of power.
The 225 had some other changes, for example a chunkier steering wheel and different coloured 'R' badges, 225s have teardrop mirrors, but then some of the last 210s also had these..
Engine code for 225 was then BAM.

Both these engine codes remap to the same power and fundamentally are the same engine, probably some minor ecu changes.
IMO 210s tend to a little more powerful than indicated and i suspect there is less difference between them than the headline figures say.

There is a thread on the difference here so take some time and read it.
http://seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=115851 (found by searching for 210 225 differences :) )

Regards MPG. some will come along and say they will get 35 mpg on the motorway, but honestly many people on here only get 26mpg.
If you get 30mpg you are do VERY well and would be doing better than most.
MPG is hard to judge as everbodies driving habits and journies are differnt.

Last edited:

wayne lcr

bored of it now
Mar 5, 2009
doncaster
depends how heavy the right foot is i got the 210 with tear drop mirrors and get about 24-25 but with the price of v-power i dont drive it like i stole it my badboy days have gone so drive it senseble and you shud be ok

sambryant

RoadRunner meep meep
Mar 26, 2009
Bristol
driving round town and giving the car a hard time i see 24 mpg. on the motorway i can get 31+.
like u said wayne v-power is so expensive im gonna have to drive a bit more carefull lol
also mine is 210.

seppuku

I drive 36 miles a day round twisty B-Roads, and fair enough I don't boot it but I don't trundle along either, and I consistently get 33MPG, which coming from my old car (Corrado G60, tuned) is rather good!

nennokair

I am doing 2 x 22 mile trips a day, 15 miles of which is on the M62. I am purposely trying to save fuel (money) and the best ive ever had is 44.6 mpg. Regularly get over 42.
Keeping it about 60mph on the motorway and to the speed limits everywhere else. As said its how you drive it.

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
sounds daft but imagine your doing 70, expecting everyone else to be doing at least the same, and someones doing 60 in the inside lane, you done notice it till its too late... how many times have you cursed at lorries on the motorways doing that speed?

andycupra

status subject to change
sounds daft but imagine your doing 70, expecting everyone else to be doing at least the same, and someones doing 60 in the inside lane, you done notice it till its too late... how many times have you cursed at lorries on the motorways doing that speed?

ey?
doing 60 is dangerous? if thats what you think then i can understand why you hate lorry drivers doing 56mph...
but come on, you know how fast a lorry goes so you shouldnt be 'expecting' everyone to be doing 70 so if a lorry is surprising you by its speed its you not the lorry thats the problem.

:) ;)

Last edited:

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
totally agree, but on a motorway i think 60 is dangerous, 60 on a b road is fine as its the speed limit...

it doesnt suprise me about a lorry, its a car that is doing 60 thats suprising on a motorway.

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
ha ha, but andy have you ever driven passed a police car on the motorway doing 60 and saying "bloody coppers going slow to catch people out" and trickled past them at 70 no more??

daboy3000

No Longer a Seat owner
Jul 2, 2008
Oxted
Just to give you a comparison, if i'm having a bit of fun i'll get mid 20's to 30mpg depending on how much fun and 40-45mpg with A road and motorway driving. Thats in my TDi, not that much in it really.

nennokair

considering most lorries struggle to keep to 60, i am not the slowest vehicle. Doing 50 would maybe be dangerous but 60 in my view is fine. There are plenty of other cars doing the same. I keep ahead of lorries so they dont have to overtake me.
Dont get me wrong it pains me to be driving an LCR so slowly but the amount of fuel you can save by doing 60 instead of 70 still surprises me. Theres nothing going in to my bank account at the mo so need to make it sip fuel like its out of fashion.

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
but a constant 70 on the motorway imho wouldnt make much difference to mpg than 60, if you didnt accelerate and decellerate all the time, if i keep to 70 on a run ill get 32mpg ish, constant revs

Jerry*

Aug 12, 2009
Leeds
I've had my LCR 225 since August 2009 and I do a 30 miles round trip each working day.

I generally average around 28-30mpg combined, which is about as good as can be expected given the performance.

J:)

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
Just to give you a comparison, if i'm having a bit of fun i'll get mid 20's to 30mpg depending on how much fun and 40-45mpg with A road and motorway driving. Thats in my TDi, not that much in it really.

lmao - something is wrong there mate !!

Around town gets me mid 40's, having fun on A roads gets low 40's, motorway mixed driving around 50mpg, motorway 70mph around 55-58mpg & the best I have had out of her is 65mpg (sticking to every speed limit for 25 miles - I had no diesel in the tank & the petrol station by work was being refurbished lol).

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise