sell it or trackday prepare it?

stinkypete

Aug 22, 2007
Chesterfield
been thinking about selling my kiwi ibiza for a while now - in my thirties, got 2 kids so thinking I need a sensible car. Trouble is, it'd break my heart to let her go after 12 years of ownership, so this morning on the drive into work I started to mull over ideas of how I could keep her.
What sort of stuff would I need to do to make it a decent track day car - obviously get rid of as much weight as poss - lose the seats etc, but would I need to replace them with certain ones? Rollcage - full or part? What about brakes & suspension, tyres etc? Are there regulations or do you just turn up & pay to drive whatever you want? Is it worth the hassle?
Other option is to make it a minter & only bring it out on sunny days. Any thoughts?

Feb 20, 2005
Telford ay it...
OMP cage is 600 quid. and thats cheapo rubbish made one.

You sure? OMP make some decent stuff.

Track it, you can do as much or as little as you like. Cage isn't totally necessary and I wont be fitting one for a while yet. Just make sure your brakes work and every things reliable.....and have fun :)

vngtx

i read a thread on the gti forum, didnt even fit in the car properly, was too short on one side to reach chassis. possibly just a one off, friday afternoon, 4.59pm made one...

R French

Custom Cages T45 weld in is a pretty good fit. You'll still need to mess around loads though!
Get rid of anything that the car doesn't need and take the weight out of it - most of what you save will be replaced with the cage. Sound deadening, excess metal work, window mechanism's, central locking, ABS, emissions filters &pipework, heater and blower, seats, door cards, wiring that goes to what you've taken out.
Stiffer anti roll bars, decent brake pads and fluid, better dampers and you are good to go!
All cheaper than spending a fortune on engine mods. Failing that, get a set of slicks, uprate pads and fluid and it will be just as good as it is.

jcs356

Cordy owner
Jul 12, 2004
Englandland
Track it - that's what I did to my Ibiza GTi 8v 5.5 years ago after I bought my Audi S3. I've had loads of fun and it is a sadness in heart that I'm going to be taking her off the road at the end of the month and then scrapping her once I've reused as many bits as I can.

DSCF0192.jpg

Ibiza2.jpg

inside.jpg

1.jpg

In terms of mods - taking weight out the car is the best and cheapest thing to do. The rest - I slowly got bits second hand over time through the forum so you can do it on the cheap. You don't have to have a cage and I do know that they are rare second hand (and don't ask, the one in my Ibiza is already spoken for).

It's not all bad news, though, I've got a 16v Cordoba SX to replace her with :eek:)

beezertart

**MAYHEM**
Sep 11, 2007
beyond the sun
been thinking about selling my kiwi ibiza for a while now - in my thirties, got 2 kids so thinking I need a sensible car.

i'm in my thirties, the wrong end of that decade as well and have one child...never will i be doing sensible and getting rid of my baby.....mint her as kezz said, they look so damn pretty when they're good...not that i'm biased :)

Copper Cupra

Dec 16, 2002
Exeter
i'm in my thirties, the wrong end of that decade as well and have one child...never will i be doing sensible and getting rid of my baby.....mint her as kezz said, they look so damn pretty when they're good...not that i'm biased :)

Agreed!!!... I hate seeing ruined ones!

[B)]

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland

You cant get rid of yours. Yours looked amazing at the national meet. Bodywork was in great condition. :thumbup:

But if you ever decide to I will gladly take it off your hands. :whistle:

vngtx

ive given up trying to make my kiwi work properly, just want it to look perfect :D

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.