fitting an oil temperature gauge

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
im sure my uncle got a oil pump thinkin about it , u stick the probe down the dipsitck i think and it gets all the oil out , will spk to him later and find out ,

so im better off buying that one in the link then ??

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
im sure my uncle got a oil pump thinkin about it , u stick the probe down the dipsitck i think and it gets all the oil out , will spk to him later and find out ,

so im better off buying that one in the link then ??

It's a direct fit and has the added bonus feature of being retrievable next time you change the oil and drop the sump plug into the collecting pot - just lift it out by the wire :)

brad1

sump plug with built in sender is the better option, well easier option i think lol, hardest bit i found was routing the wire from the plug up through the engine lol

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
fair play what a service , emailed them , it should be here tomorrow , or friday (expected that for recorded delivery )

but asked if a washer comes with it , he wernt sure , but would stick one in free anyway - result ,

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
well what i have gathered yes ,have bought the one in the link ,

not got round to fitting it yet though,

on the to do list shortly !! , have only just managed to de lock it which the parts have been there since may/june 08

jezza49

cupra tdi 150
Jul 1, 2008
maidstone, kent
well what i have gathered yes ,have bought the one in the link ,

not got round to fitting it yet though,

on the to do list shortly !! , have only just managed to de lock it which the parts have been there since may/june 08

ok cheers buddy, yeah i know what you mean, got loads of stuff to do to mine also not enough hours in the day:cry:

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
still not fitted it Andrew?! Got myself a gauge today, would rather put it into the housing but looks like the sump is the easier option.

Saying that most of the old threads the biggest problem was that the sender was tapered... mine looks straight?

GTV

Veggie powered TDi's
Feb 16, 2008
Cambridgeshire
I got a sender from the dealers, I had a blank plug near the housing, I removed this, fitted the new sender and jobs a good'en :) worth checking to make sutre you don't a blank also, the reading you get from the sump will be lower that the reading from the housing.

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
GTV, how did you remove the blank? Been outside for ages trying to get it out but its not going to happen. I'm trying to use the same blank as this one http://pics.tdiclub.com/pdf/gauge_install_2001_VW_Golf_TDI.pdf however this is the blank I have
01032010479.jpg

So I can't see how I'm going to get it out!

GTV

Veggie powered TDi's
Feb 16, 2008
Cambridgeshire
What engine are you working ok? Mine was an AHU I will see if I can find some photo's.
To remove just use an allen key in the middle, mine cam out with no problems.

GTV

Veggie powered TDi's
Feb 16, 2008
Cambridgeshire
ok found a pic not the best but you can see the sensor wire from the housing to the ecu and next to it is the blanked off hole

ibiza.jpg

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
Mine is the same as the one in the link I posted, different to the pic you have posted. I tried Allen keys, torx bits, Phillips, pozi, flat, wouldn't budge at all! But there doesn't seem to be a thread on it, so can't imagine it's a plug? I didn't want to lever it too much in case I damaged anything. The sensor itself fit inside the gap (just - was very tight) but it was nowhere near long enough.

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
still not fitted it Andrew?! Got myself a gauge today, would rather put it into the housing but looks like the sump is the easier option.

Saying that most of the old threads the biggest problem was that the sender was tapered... mine looks straight?

well i fitted the sump sender a while ago , have recently (past few weeks ) had the gauges installed and wired up ,

but one of the lads who wired it up , has done a boo boo somehwere as the oil temp can move when i adjust my illumination brightness - a quick way to lower oil temps :cartman:

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
Ha ha. I think when you wire up the gauges it's common to take the power feed from the light unit - maybe he's just taken the wrong feed!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.