Light Fault

FG09VHD

Hi guys

I need help here.

I purchased a new seat ibiza coupe sport 1.4 16v yesterday. i bought it on the internet through a firm called GK group and its financed.
I live in the north of scotland and the dealer that supplied the car is located at Milton Keynes.

I noticed my new car has a broked light switch . and the when i put the car into reverse the front fogs come on. Also when i switch on the front headlights the one of the foglights (be it the drivers side or the passenger side) comes on itself. I noticed that even the foggers come on and off when the car goes over bumps.
I am quite disheartned that my car that i have recieved for just a day has already displayed a serious fault.

Could this perhaps be a short? or maybe a loose multiplug?

When i contacted my AA cover yesterday , they didnt come out, instead they reffered me to a garage locally and they said that the would need to take the car away, but i told them i would not part with the car as i expect a courtesy car, so i can get to work. Surely they can give me a courtesy car in the meantime when the fault described is clearly seats responisiblity?

Thanks

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
I think the fogs are meant to come on when reverse is selected and also the left or right fog comes on at low speeds when you steer left or right respectfully. It's to help you see round corners.

The broken light switch will need replacing and if you are polite about it your nearest dealer may replace it under warrenty.

FG09VHD

I think the fogs are meant to come on when reverse is selected and also the left or right fog comes on at low speeds when you steer left or right respectfully. It's to help you see round corners.

The broken light switch will need replacing and if you are polite about it your nearest dealer may replace it under warrenty.

Hi Nath

Are you sure of this? Has anyone with the ibiza have this same features ?
i also have only one reverse light. The dealer did not mention this at all, and i cant find any detail of this in my owners book

Cheers

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Yes, I'm sure of the front fog light thing being a feature rather than a fault. I'm also pretty sure the mk5 has one reverse light and one rear fog light.

psimperson

Just to confim yes this is a feature. Although the broken light switch isn't

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
Yes, I'm sure of the front fog light thing being a feature rather than a fault. I'm also pretty sure the mk5 has one reverse light and one rear fog light.

There are 2 reverse lights AND 2 fog lights on my MK5 1.6 sport !

Andy

rpk

Fair doos mate, The OP must have a bulb blown then.

This got me as well. There is only one reverse light on my Mk5 but when checking the manual I picked it up as it’s only meant to have one. It appears SEAT have made the light cluster symmetrical and depending on which country the car is for they switch the internal workings as appropriate (if not I also have a blown bulb too!!!). Can anyone else confirm or deny this?

Last edited by a moderator:

bowie

just tried mine 2009 1.4 5 door sport two revering lights,and two rear fog light's.also when you turn the steering left the left front fog light comes on the same when you turn right.

bowie

ben-ducky

Feb 25, 2008
Llanelli, S Wales
Ahhh this explains why nearly all MK5's i see at night are driving about and only one fog light is on....I thought it was a common fault or something lol :whistle:.
I personally would hate to have that feature on my car as it looks to others like you've constantly got a bulb out.

Dec 3, 2009
Actually there is one reverse light it's something about countries read it in the manual. Then again mines FR. I'll check with seat tomorrow

Last edited:

Octane2097

Naturally Aspirated
Jan 20, 2007
South Yorkshire
to clarify: the Sport copue only have 1 reverse light, and 1 rear fog
the 5 door has 2 reverse lights and 2 fogs
if you put the car in to reverse both frnt fogs will come on, also when your turning in or out of a junction
(depending on which way) the fog light will come on which ever way your turning

dosnt sound like you have a fault, more of a feature :)

i have the FR (sport coupe) and the lights behave in exactly the same way: read the manual its all in ther)

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Ahhh this explains why nearly all MK5's i see at night are driving about and only one fog light is on....I thought it was a common fault or something lol :whistle:.
I personally would hate to have that feature on my car as it looks to others like you've constantly got a bulb out.

I find corner lighting very handy around here as there is no street lighting, makes parking easier. It cuts out over 40kmh so shouldnt be that noticeable when driving.

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
I can also confirm one reversing light and the fogs you described are supposed to be like that. Give that manual in your glove box a read. You'll be astonished at the relevant info you will learn.

There are a few other toys you can activate by reading the manual (like auto locking doors etc).

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members