Alternator belt replaced- still squeaking :S

RaggedLob

The worst is yet to come
Mar 29, 2009
Thatcham, Berkshire
My 2002 1.2 Squeaks harshly on startup, so i id the usual thing and had the alternator replaced, the garage taking half my monthly part time wage :(

But at least it would be fixed...

Except it wasn't. I picked it up the next day and it still makes the same noise, was told it may just need 'bedding in' but it has been over a month now... anyone have any ideas?

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
A faulty alternator doesn't normally cause squeaky belts.
The noise comes from the belt slipping or chattering due to being worn or just being loose.
I would have gone for a new tensioner as these are spring loaded and can become week, and a new belt whilst you're at it just to be sure.

I bet the garage that replaced your alternator for you have got it on their shelf ready to sell on.....................

Last edited:

Priezti

Auto-Electrical Monkey!
Feb 11, 2009
Doncaster
mine had this issue and it turn out to be the tensioner that was failing it was not running straight and you could tell if you look at it with the engine running.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
mine has the same problem. well it happens now and then normally on cold wet mornings :(
so are the tensioners exspensive and easy to change?

One thing to consider as this is only happening "now and again and then normally on cold wet mornings", leaving the "wet" bit behind, when its cold and the car has not been running for a while, then if the battery is dying or become "lazy", after the car has started up, the battery will be putting quite a heavy load on the alternator - so noises will be greater than when its hot. Maybe get the battery checked out first - or do you do a lot of short journeys which will be gradually draining the battery over a long period.

DonniD1991

Big Donni
Mar 6, 2009
Newcastle Upon Tyne
One thing to consider as this is only happening "now and again and then normally on cold wet mornings", leaving the "wet" bit behind, when its cold and the car has not been running for a while, then if the battery is dying or become "lazy", after the car has started up, the battery will be putting quite a heavy load on the alternator - so noises will be greater than when its hot. Maybe get the battery checked out first - or do you do a lot of short journeys which will be gradually draining the battery over a long period.

yeh a generally just travel short distances to college and work which are both only a few miles from home not even that i would say.
wel me dads got a new battery for me bros polo(6n2) in the garge so al put that in and see if it still does it.

cheers mate much appreciated

Andrew

Jan 11, 2005
Barnsley
I would have gone for a new tensioner as these are spring loaded and can become week, and a new belt whilst you're at it just to be sure.

The 'self adjusting' tensioner has a tendancy to stick in one place. I find that taking the belt off and moving the tensioner by hand over it's entire sweeping movement helps things. If this doesn't help, as Nath said, get a new tensioner.

A bodge it and scarper trick is to spray hairspray over the ribbed side of the belt but using too much can gunge up the pulleys

tooly1

1.2 power !
Oct 17, 2009
Nottingham
ive got that problem its the tensioner when i first got it four months ago it was awful but its gradually kinda gone weird still im gonna fix it when i can be arsed to go to my old mans garage

RaggedLob

The worst is yet to come
Mar 29, 2009
Thatcham, Berkshire
A faulty alternator doesn't normally cause squeaky belts.
The noise comes from the belt slipping or chattering due to being worn or just being loose.

I bet the garage that replaced your alternator for you have got it on their shelf ready to sell on.....................

Yeah, sorry, i mean the belt :p I will try the tensioner solution soon, see if that changes things...

Cheers for the help