Mixed tyres advice

joesmad4it

Cupra TD-aight!
Mar 11, 2008
Wickford - Essex
Just got the Cupra back from the garage and she's all mended:D They have replaced one of the alloys and tyres, so including my spare I have 2 x brand new P-Zero tyres and 3 x fairly worn P-Zeros that ideally need replacing.

I'm looking at getting 2 x Toyo's and leaving the best partly worn tyre as my spare, but what do you recommend I put on the front and will this have any negative affects on the handling?

Thanks in advance

great_kahn

Spooge
Nov 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Current advice is to have your best tyres on the rear, The thinking being that most people are able to correct a front end slide quite easily. But most tend to panic if the back end lets go.

Personally i consider myself a pretty decent driver and would always have the best tyres on the front. If i was you i would have the two new toyos on the front.

Trappy

I've heard it's because if the rear aquaplanes, then there's a good chance that you're going sideways. The front is a little less likely to get you into serious trouble.

Whever you buy replacement tyres for the front, always have them put the current rears on the front so they are rotated or they'll be on there for years...

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
Just got the Cupra back from the garage and she's all mended:D They have replaced one of the alloys and tyres, so including my spare I have 2 x brand new P-Zero tyres and 3 x fairly worn P-Zeros that ideally need replacing.

I'm looking at getting 2 x Toyo's and leaving the best partly worn tyre as my spare, but what do you recommend I put on the front and will this have any negative affects on the handling?

Thanks in advance

why don;t you just lookat my ad in the forsale section. 4 toyos brand new with stickers for #200 and i am down the road from you and they are fr the cupra in 205 40 17 size

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
Current advice is to have your best tyres on the rear, The thinking being that most people are able to correct a front end slide quite easily. But most tend to panic if the back end lets go.

Personally i consider myself a pretty decent driver and would always have the best tyres on the front. If i was you i would have the two new toyos on the front.

I`ve always thought the best tyres should be on the front and have always tried to do it this way.
Did`nt know about the current advice though... is that from the government/DFT?

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
Hmm ok...
I understand the reasoning behind the advice but think I`ll stick to the way I do it.
I hate understeer :drive2:

joesmad4it

Cupra TD-aight!
Mar 11, 2008
Wickford - Essex
why don;t you just lookat my ad in the forsale section. 4 toyos brand new with stickers for #200 and i am down the road from you and they are fr the cupra in 205 40 17 size

Thanks mate but I put on another thread that I'd just bought 2 on blackcircles the day before seeing your post and I was gutted! Oh well if you still have them in a year :D

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.