What is the longest youve left a cam belt?

luke172

Hi folks,first post on here!

I have a clio 172 and having owned it 2 days(literally 6 miles!) the aux belt snapped,took the cambelt with it and the valves and pistons had themselves a party!Suffice to say im now £1000 lighter on the pocket,but the car does have a brand new from renault head on it and all new belts etc so runs like new!

It was a private sale so no comeback.

Two morals to the story,change belts before they need changing(mine went 4k prematurely.) and get something with a proper warranty!

Im now on the hunt for a cupra as i want something a little nippier on the motorway.

wackyracer

Wackyracer
May 12, 2007
Southampton
my old Mazda MX6 wasa non interferrance engine which was good but i got lazy with the leon... i checked the paper work and it was checked not replaced at 60K. For some reason when i originally locked at it i thought it had been changed... So when it came to 97k and i was having some work done when the guy asked how old the cam belt as it was ina sorry state i double checked the paperwork ( would have changed it anyway) and was horrifed to see i had misread! I do get my monies worth out he old girl on the motor way each day and i guess it was a nightmare just waiting to happen.
moral of story.... Check, double check, change it if in anyway unsure!!!!

Cranky888

Cam belt & Water pump change

Hi all,

My first post on here however I have a query Re Cam belt change and water pump.

I own a LCR 225 and the car was 4 yrs old in Oct last yr. I have done 36k on the clock so very low mileage.

General posts on here suggest better safe than sorry however given the mileage I have been tempted to leave it for a while longer!

Any thoughts would be appreciated :)

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
My car was 4 in Dec and had 44k miles on the clock so slightly younger car but slightly higher mileage. When I picked it up after getting mine done last week the old one was in a pretty sorry state. It's up to you but you're gambling spending £300 for the work versus a couple of grand at the very least for an engine rebuild. I wouldn't chance it personally!

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Hi all,

My first post on here however I have a query Re Cam belt change and water pump.

I own a LCR 225 and the car was 4 yrs old in Oct last yr. I have done 36k on the clock so very low mileage.

General posts on here suggest better safe than sorry however given the mileage I have been tempted to leave it for a while longer!

Any thoughts would be appreciated :)

Check out Steely's link above same sort of age and milage too, then you'll get it done I'm sure.

wackyracer

Wackyracer
May 12, 2007
Southampton
lets be honest most of us will only need to change the belt once in the time we own the car, so whether you get it done now or a year down the line you still have to get it done.... However, if you decide to wait and it goes prematurely, you are a couple of grand out of pocket verses the £1.38 that you goty in interest by keeping the money in the back for an extra year!!!!

Add this arguemement to what has been said above and i think you have a very clear answer!

legoman_0

LCR lover
Aug 28, 2008
Cardiff
Mines just ticked over to 70k on an 04 plate will be getting it done end of the month I seem to be seeing threads like this everywhere I'm guna take it as a sign lol

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Mines just ticked over to 70k on an 04 plate will be getting it done end of the month I seem to be seeing threads like this everywhere I'm guna take it as a sign lol

See if you can get some pics to post so we can all see the damage if any.

Nautilus

Dec 9, 2006
Bucharest, Romania
Cam belt sheared a quarter of its teeth at exactly 70,458 km (43,762 miles).

Age of the car and belt: 5 years, 7 months.

All pistons hit the exhaust valves. All 8 exhaust valves had to be changed, found also a piston ring had broken from unrelated causes and changed all piston rings as well.

Despite running for many miles over 1.5bar of boost, valves did not show signs of degradation or burning. For this reason they were replaced with a new set of stock valves, no Inconel or other exotic alloys.

Factory coolant pump had been a plastic impeller type, replaced by Hepu pump with metal impeller.

Cost of labor+parts+oil+coolant: £785.

~Nautilus

philhauke

Better safe than sorry. I change my LCR belt every 30k.
Iv known a few people who have left theres (non Seat's), and when there's snapped, they'v had to replace half there valves. Not worth it. £150 every 3 years OR £1k to repair damage???

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.