Grinding noise/judder when moving at full-lock

andyj

There's no F in Quality..
Has anyone else noticed a problem with their Exeo, when moving (slowly) with full steering lock applied?

When I'm reversing onto my drive with full right-hand lock on, and the pull off again in the morning full left hand lock on, I get a grinding noise coming from the front wheel/suspension area.

If light throttle is applied when going forwards, with full lock applied, I also get a juddering feeling as if the wheels are trying to spin :confused:

I've had a look on www.audi-sport.net and there have been similair reports of this problem on B7 A4's. The 'fix; by alot of the Audi dealers has been to fit new tyres, as appraently it's a problem when the tread get low :confused:

The only problem is, my Exeo has only got 5k on the clock, with plenty of tread on thetyres (>6mm), so I can't see that being a problem.

I had it in at the dealers a few weeks ago, and they have witnessed the grinding noise, but do not know what's causing it, and have filed a report with Seat UK to see if there have been any other incidents of the same kind of problem.

That reminds me, need to find out if Seat UK have got back to my dealer about it yet..... (Darryll... nudge nudge ;) ) :lol:

Shaun_E

Nov 21, 2003
Berkshire
Visit site
Mine does it too. At extreme steering lock the geometry goes to pot and the torque of the engine appears to overwhelm available grip. As someone on the Audi thread said, how much time do you spend driving at full lock? Sounds like there isn't a known cure so unless you want to get old and grey fighting with Seat, I wouldn't worry about it. The manual actually says not to have the steering at full lock for more than 15 seconds (I think it was that value).