Removing Brembo's, Update, refurb finshed, pic's inside

Deleted member 12147

They look good, I know the hassle you've been through I refurbed the brembo's on my ibiza and it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be I took them down to bare metal though:

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=144511&highlight=brembo+refurb

I also went for the heat resistant brembo decals off ebay in white but now they've turned slightly yellow:(

After all the hassle of that i'm just gonna get the LCR ones powdercoated in the easter hols and get some black decals off ebay.

D_O_U_G_I_E

100% Beach Bum
Aug 26, 2008
Midlands
I did warn you that it wasn't fun! :lol:

Defiantly worth the effort though as they look amazing once they're back on the car after a good lick of paint! :)

EL

Forever Alive
Mar 17, 2008
Bickley, Bromley
Real good job on those mate. I too have to go down this route as my decals are badly ripping apart. Definatly a job for summer time!

turbin

was it a big hassle to bolt them off the car? Im doing this sometime soon as well... mine are totally faded and half the clearcoat is goner.

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
They look good, I know the hassle you've been through I refurbed the brembo's on my ibiza and it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be I took them down to bare metal though:

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=144511&highlight=brembo+refurb

I also went for the heat resistant brembo decals off ebay in white but now they've turned slightly yellow:(

After all the hassle of that i'm just gonna get the LCR ones powdercoated in the easter hols and get some black decals off ebay.

Nice job, i used the decal from Uber 9 on ebay, there supposed to be high temps 300F plus, i guess we will see, where did you get yours?
I did warn you that it wasn't fun! :lol:

Defiantly worth the effort though as they look amazing once they're back on the car after a good lick of paint! :)
100% total PITA but worth every minute for the results.

Real good job on those mate. I too have to go down this route as my decals are badly ripping apart. Definatly a job for summer time!
Thanks

was it a big hassle to bolt them off the car? Im doing this sometime soon as well... mine are totally faded and half the clearcoat is goner.

It took about 5minutes to take them off the car, only 2 bolts holding them on.

turbin

great :) How about the fluid? Need to bleed the system ? Could you keep fluid in the system ?

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
great :) How about the fluid? Need to bleed the system ? Could you keep fluid in the system ?

Don't bleed the system or let the master cyclinder run dry otherwise its a pain to get it setup again unless you have the equipment that is.

You can buy brake hose clamps, you place these on the lines before you remove them from the calliper, i used the flat part of a pair of vice grips(check my above pics, u can see) all you need to do is close the hose, so i just slightly pinched them(NOT HARD), the system is not under pressure so a gently pinch does the trick.

Then when the callipers go back on and the brake hoses are tightened you can remove the clamps, then top up the brake fluid, bleed the callipers and then top up again.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12147

Cant remember the seller of my decals but they were also listed as high temp decals:shrug:

legoman_0

LCR lover
Aug 28, 2008
Cardiff
Quote me if I'm wrong but havnt the bembos got a self bleed system so there is no need to bleed it, one of the boys has an evo an works in a garage an when he seen me bleedin mine he said there is no need to bleed them

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
Quote me if I'm wrong but havnt the bembos got a self bleed system so there is no need to bleed it, one of the boys has an evo an works in a garage an when he seen me bleedin mine he said there is no need to bleed them

I find this hard to believe, its a closed system, so if there is air in there it needs to escape somewhere otherwise your brake are not efficient, you can buy a self bleed kit alright, but you still need to open the bleed nipples to let the brake fluid flow.

This is the way i understood it to work, but saying that i would be interested in knowing your friends logic on this.

D_O_U_G_I_E

100% Beach Bum
Aug 26, 2008
Midlands
The calipers are 110% not 'self bleeding' and will need bleeding it you do anything with them. Just use the Ezibleed pressurised kit - works a treat and makes the whole job a doddle (even if you manage to let the whole bloody system drain dry like l did! :lol: )

turbin

Doing this now... spent most of the day cleaning and sanding them.. still not halfways. This is alot more work than I could imagine even on a bad day. Might just paint the face side :p

turbin

Which paint are you using and have you opted for spray paint or brush on paint?

Got an Auto K spray for calipers. Same brand had a clearcoat for alloys. Couldent find a high temp primer so Im just cutting corners here really.. maybe too much. Probably give them to the pros when my paint job falls off.

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
Doing this now... spent most of the day cleaning and sanding them.. still not halfways. This is alot more work than I could imagine even on a bad day. Might just paint the face side :p

Stick with it turbin, painting just the faces wouldn't look to good IMO, give yourself some credit and remember 90% of this job is preparation and the better your prepare the better the finish will be, the spraying is literally a couple of minutes for each coat.

Be patient..

turbin

too late.. I went with face only. No patience for this job. Have to take the wheel off to see the other side anyhow...

Will take a pic so you all can laugh when im done.

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
too late.. I went with face only. No patience for this job. Have to take the wheel off to see the other side anyhow...

Will take a pic so you all can laugh when im done.

Yeah fire up a pic and remember the first time i went at this job i made a bollix of it too.
All may not be lost, you can still respray and blend in the rest.

turbin

oh, it looks alright... on the face side ;)

Im no painter, thats for sure. Good lord the lack of patience is obvious here !

turbin

ok, done. In the process I noticed on the left side the rotor was much more worn on the inside while the right side it was worn even. What would cause this? Air bubbles?

Also I found out while bleeding the brakes that dot 4 fluid really eats paint, so in the end I probably have to do all over again...

CIMG1276.jpg

CIMG1278.jpg

CIMG1283.jpg