Suspension

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
At work we have a few company cars that are from the VAG group and i have noticed that they all, when going over bumps, make a hissing noise coming from suspension. What makes this noise and why doesnt my Ibiza do this? Sorry if this is a stupid question but i want to know lol!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Primula bushes and adjustable dampers must be the way forward. Seriously though, it depends what you expect from your car - uncontrolled jelly wobble, comfort or jarringly hard but good control - or any blend of that. VAG have had a bad name for soft damping but over damping rebound - so changing them should improve things, Seat especially is aimed at the younger market so should end up getting tighter suspension than average for that market segment.

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
Thanks for the help, so when i am going over bumps and it sounds very loud this is normal? cos i had started to think my suspension what f****d lol. I was thinking of lowering also, what springs provide a good ride with low noise levels?

Rhys_

Mar 29, 2009
Cardiff, South Wales
Thanks for the help, so when i am going over bumps and it sounds very loud this is normal? cos i had started to think my suspension what f****d lol. I was thinking of lowering also, what springs provide a good ride with low noise levels?

Like said above it really depends on what you are after from your suspension and your budget.

A set of AP coilovers are supposed to be a very good bit of kit for price and you would get to choose how much you wish to lower the car. however if you are looking for just a slight drop then there are a number of companies that offer spring only set ups with a range of drop options. I went for coilovers myself but thats because the weitec's suited my needs.

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
Like said above it really depends on what you are after from your suspension and your budget.

A set of AP coilovers are supposed to be a very good bit of kit for price and you would get to choose how much you wish to lower the car. however if you are looking for just a slight drop then there are a number of companies that offer spring only set ups with a range of drop options. I went for coilovers myself but thats because the weitec's suited my needs.

Thanks for the info! If i decide i do want to go for coilovers what do i need to change to allow them to fit and how much is it likely to cost to get them fitted to the car?

Also, what would i have to change if i went for the spring setup and how much would these cost to fit?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Deleted member 13581

I would change the top-mounts every time, and droplinks if going very low. Keep the anti-roll bar away from the driveshaft.

Cost depends where you go to get them fitted. Its not that difficult to change them yourself though.

Remember, you just need to get the allignment checked after lowering the car by any drop.

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
I would change the top-mounts every time, and droplinks if going very low. Keep the anti-roll bar away from the driveshaft.

Cost depends where you go to get them fitted. Its not that difficult to change them yourself though.

Remember, you just need to get the allignment checked after lowering the car by any drop.

The top mounts should not be that worn though cos the car has only done 25k, or are there uprated ones?

I have never done anything like this to the car and i am not the most clued up person so i wouldnt do this myself. So where would i go to get this done and a rough cost would be great :D

I want to lower by about 35-45mm so i dont think the drop links are affected?

Also, does this affect warrenty?

ibiza64

Jun 23, 2009
i'm saving for some AP coilovers, no idea what top mounts are though or where you get them from. im hoping my local garage will be able to do the fitting for me. its only a small place but they did my exhaust manifold for me and they were really good.

Deleted member 13581

The top mounts should not be that worn though cos the car has only done 25k, or are there uprated ones?

I have never done anything like this to the car and i am not the most clued up person so i wouldnt do this myself. So where would i go to get this done and a rough cost would be great :D

I want to lower by about 35-45mm so i dont think the drop links are affected?

Also, does this affect warrenty?

My mate would fit them for you and do your allignment afterwards aswell. He is a VW tech and im sure he would do it for you. I could check with him for a rough cost if you want. Would mean you bringing the car up to him though and leaving it with him for the hours he needs. I changed mine in about 2 i think. :lol:

Ive heard of people replacing them when they change to coilovers.

Drop links shouldnt be affected then if its only by that much. Remember, my offer still stands on coilovers. ;)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.