Squeaking noise from brakes?

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
Hello everyone,

Lately when driving on the highway (or freeway) there is a very annoying squeaking sound coming from the back-side of my car. It sounds like metal on metal....
When I brake or when I turn slightly to left or right it stops, but when continuing straight it starts again.
Now i heard that when your brake pads :shrug: (?) (i am not native english speaking so do not know the exact words for this) are worn out they hit the disks and make such a squeaking sound.

Is this correct, and if so how can I check to be sure? When I remove the tire how can I tell the brake pads are worn and or the disks too? :think:

Thanks guys, your replies are much appreciated :)
Jeroen

Myki da Pyki

Jul 15, 2007
Bristol
www.facebook.com
If its under braking then it could either be the discs are warped or the pads are low. If you take off the wheel you will easily see how much life there is left on the pads. And the discs run your finger down them when cold of course and if you feel grooves in them then they may well be worn, the deeper the groove the more worn they are

Dan Cupra R

The Yellow Sub
May 2, 2006
Reading
I got this for a while and changed my back discs and pads, got rid of the squeaking for a bit. I run brembos on the front and they just seem to squeak all the time. Ive had them cleaned numerous times but it still comes back:(

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
If its under braking then it could either be the discs are warped or the pads are low. If you take off the wheel you will easily see how much life there is left on the pads. And the discs run your finger down them when cold of course and if you feel grooves in them then they may well be worn, the deeper the groove the more worn they are

But its not during braking. Its when I am not braking. As soon as I brake it stops....
But I guess I will take off the wheel and see if there is any apparant reason for the extremely annoying sound. However what do you mean with "dust guard"??
thanx

Myki da Pyki

Jul 15, 2007
Bristol
www.facebook.com
Theres a dust guard just behind the discs which directs the brake dust down i believe. Sometimes these get bent and rub on the disc slightly but all you got to do is bend it back out if it is which can be done by hand as there not strong

May 16, 2008
southampton
i have this problem on driver side front i have cleaned the disc pads and checked dust guard and even re greased the slider pins , and even greased the caliper piston but noise is still there . but its only when driving about 30mph any faster and it goes away.. any ideas

Dec 10, 2009
bideford, n.devon
ive also got this reoccurring squeak, as said only about 30mph and driving straight. as soon as the wheel is turned left or right it stops till the wheels are straight again but then its only occasional so not to bothered but would like it sorted as its abit embarrassing

May 16, 2008
southampton
yeah mate thats the same as i am having im going to buy some cheap pads to put in to see if it goes if not ill try some different disc.. but if any one has had this problem and fixed it please let me know

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise